Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:01 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanokers View Post
Not sure how you got that from the post. Will try to clarify: You asked: "Different from WHAT????" Different from themselves. Not only racially, but geographically, or whatever other difference they can find.

I don't have a sterotypical view of southerners, although there are sterotypical southerners out there, as there are sterotypical versions of all types of people out there.

To bring it back, the original poster was suggessting that by merely inquiring about diversity, insults southerners in some way. For minority groups, its an important question to see how well recieved you will be in a new place.

Many minorities are attracted to Charlotte, becuase of its repuation for diversity. People ask the question because they want to make sure it isn't a fluke. When Carolina Guy and other posters have such a negative reaction to questions about diversity, it makes new comers think that Charlotte's rep is all just hype. I don't think it is, but thats the way it comes off.
Culture and diversity are 2 different things. This thread was meant to address the disparagement of Charlotte culture in particular, and southern culture in general, by non-natives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 10:02 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Ingrained prejudice.

Unreal.

My ggrandparents had plenty of stories they have told me, as well. The stories go both ways, and interestingly, their stories have to do w/ Northerners who killed livestock, destroyed homes and raped both the white women AND the black women during the Civil War. Their stories are of women, both black and white, who took care of ALL the children in the community, scratching out a life from farming TOGETHER, and surviving difficulties most of us cannot fathom, while the men folk were off fighting a war that did not even need to take place, as most of our slaveholders in NC had freed their slave prior to the Civil War. It was a war NC did not even want to get into b/c we were already freeing slaves here - there are plenty of tracts showing that NC residents no longer supported the institution of slavery and saw it for the immoral practice it was.

We have been healing here in NC for more than 150 years and to suggest otherwise is WRONG WRONG WRONG. I witnessed civil rights violations. YES. But I also witnessed people of both races doing all they could to engender goodwill towards all our residents - be they poor whites or struggling blacks.

It is really infuriating to find that there are still people out there (white or black) who are determined to continue the misconceptions about the South, and lump NC into some bucket w/ every other infraction that has taken place "somewhere in the South." Take a look at our history here in NC b/f you start slinging around the rhetoric.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:03 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,312,545 times
Roanoker-

From the VA forum I see you are a student, are you originally from VA or further north?

Contrary to what you allude, my experience has been that most blacks from the area and even further South do not resent the area and are proud Southerners. You are correct, it is 2008 and not 1968 or 1768 for that matter.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:06 AM

109 posts, read 397,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Culture and diversity are 2 different things. This thread was meant to address the disparagement of Charlotte culture in particular, and southern culture in general, by non-natives.
From my other posts, you can tell that I respectfully disagree. Just because you live/ have lived in a place doesn't make it yours. The land was there long before us and will be there long after we are gone. So the people and their "diverse" backgrounds is what makes the culture. If the mix of people changes, the culture changes.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:09 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times
Quote:
I agree completely. I forget that some are not as well steeped in the violent/ intolerant history of the south. My parents, grand parents, Aunts and Uncles tell me stories of things they experienced that are absolutely infuriating. Their experiences do help to shape my (and other black people's) views on "diversity" and relations between the races.
In the deep south, its still bad. I told the missus, that Charlotte is the only place south of Va. that I would even consider moving to, because of the ingrained predjudice that exists in much of the south.
Hmm, there are a LOT of other places besides Charlotte in NC that are very progressive and included in the "New South". Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Winston Salem, and a many many others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by global_gal View Post
But you are from NC, what you know, as a resident, is different from an "outsider" making inquiries. Of course diversity exists, but a person with fears/doubts wants to confirm if they too will feel comfortable in a new southern city because historically the south hasn't been viewed as the hotbed of diversity, but that is changing/has changed.

Yes, sometimes people make statements based on ignorance or fear, but offense shouldn't be taken. I don't think inquiring minds doubt diversity exists but part of educating oneself includes asking questions . I like on this board when posters refer to a previous post on the same subject - a big time saver!

I agree that people need to assimilate into an area where they move and value the history and habits of that place, but again some historical events in the south stick in people's minds - again leading to why the "culture" question keeps popping up. A view visits doesn't give the insight that a resident can give, but a forum of opinions shouldn't make or break a relocation or whatever.
There has not been any historical event that has happen in the last 40 years that would create a situation that would oppress diversity in the area. The only thing that is causing less culture is captialism and the "melting pot" effect this happening all over the USA.
Some may see the Little Italy's and Chinatowns are cultural areas but at the price of living in segregation

Going to church, having manners , being polite and helping your fellow man out when needed are all part of the Charlotte culture.
There is many areas that celebrate our heritage with renactments such as Latta plantation, Renaissance Festival and Rural Hill where our Scottish history is displayed with events also the history of our tenant and crop farmers.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:13 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,312,545 times
Quote:
From my other posts, you can tell that I respectfully disagree. Just because you live/ have lived in a place doesn't make it yours. The land was there long before us and will be there long after we are gone. So the people and their "diverse" backgrounds is what makes the culture. If the mix of people changes, the culture changes.
Then we agree to disagree as well.
I would never think to move to a small town in New England and dismiss their local color, culture, and history as unimportant and/or inferior to my experience in the South. Neither would I wish to see their local color changed. In fact I find the histories that shaped the nooks and crannies of our country utterly fascinating. Therefor I would implore each area i to 'hold onto their roots' per se.

As the saying says, 'when in Rome'...

Old 07-25-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

It is really infuriating to find that there are still people out there (white or black) who are determined to continue the misconceptions about the South, and lump NC into some bucket w/ every other infraction that has taken place "somewhere in the South." Take a look at our history here in NC b/f you start slinging around the rhetoric.
Thank you for the history lesson. Whether it happened exactly like that is debatable, blacks and whites living and working together in NC, while the men went off and fought? Maybe. If it was like that we wouldn't still see the disparity between the races, that still exists.

If what you say is true, then why were my people who were owned by a family out of Eastern N.C. not freed until after the Civil War? Much of my family lives in NC still, and I have on more than one occassion experienced rampant racism all over the state of N.C. So much so that I couldn't wait to get back to Va when I was a child. Even now the thought of moving there stirs up those old feelings. I am hoping that from what my cousin says Charlotte is different.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:15 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Ingrained prejudice.

Unreal.

My ggrandparents had plenty of stories they have told me, as well. The stories go both ways, and interestingly, their stories have to do w/ Northerners who killed livestock, destroyed homes and raped both the white women AND the black women during the Civil War. Their stories are of women, both black and white, who took care of ALL the children in the community, scratching out a life from farming TOGETHER, and surviving difficulties most of us cannot fathom, while the men folk were off fighting a war that did not even need to take place, as most of our slaveholders in NC had freed their slave prior to the Civil War. It was a war NC did not even want to get into b/c we were already freeing slaves here - there are plenty of tracts showing that NC residents no longer supported the institution of slavery and saw it for the immoral practice it was.

We have been healing here in NC for more than 150 years and to suggest otherwise is WRONG WRONG WRONG. I witnessed civil rights violations. YES. But I also witnessed people of both races doing all they could to engender goodwill towards all our residents - be they poor whites or struggling blacks.

Wow...you only get better and better.
Like I've said before, if you run for political office...you've got my vote.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Roanoker-

From the VA forum I see you are a student, are you originally from VA or further north?

Contrary to what you allude, my experience has been that most blacks from the area and even further South do not resent the area and are proud Southerners. You are correct, it is 2008 and not 1968 or 1768 for that matter.
Originally, from New Jersey. Lived a good bit of time in Hampton Roads, now in Roanoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte