Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 01:48 PM

530 posts, read 1,182,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, probably the BEST way to handle this Thread is to talk to some homeless people! Ask them directly why they are homeless, how long they've been homeless AND if they have ever requested help from any agency. You could be very, very surprised at what some of the homeless would tell you. We all can have compassion for the homeless, but many (not all) of them want MONEY more than a bag of food or six pack of Pepsi. Not to sound nasty, but just offer some homeless people a six pack of beer or a bottle of Whiskey and you will have a "new best friend" very quickly!! Just fact! The homeless situation is bad, but how to help the ones that truely WANT the help is a very good question. Shoot, there are people that are not homeless that even have a hard time getting help!
I know a family that is homeless right now because of financial and unemployment difficulties.. They don't even drink....

There goes that excuse...

Drinking and drug problems cause homelessness, not the other way around..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 02:05 PM

530 posts, read 1,182,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
One night I was sitting in McDonald's after having a late, after beer, meal when a jerky looking kid (white kid with low hanging pants, etc.)approached me and said that he was out of gas about three blocks away and wanted to know if I would help him. I told him that my friend was a cop and on patrol around the area and I could call him. I told him that he kept a gallon of gas in his trunk in case someone ran out. Boy, that idiot took off in a flash.
You have plenty of stories don't you.. I'm calling BS.. stop making stuff up..

This thread is about cold people and a growing homeless population in downtown Charlotte. Not about someone scamming you for gas money or asking for a dollar on the street... You don't even know if they were homeless.

The original poster didn't suggest that we drop everything and run out on the street and start handing homeless people cash... Why is this a debate. There are cold homeless people out there. Find a way to help that you'd be comfortable with and help out. If you don't want to help, then buzz off. Stop trying to talk everyone else into thinking all homeless people are degenerate, druggie, alcoholic, thieving, scam artists...

Old 01-27-2010, 02:17 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
I don't care if they are druggies, or alcoholics, or degenerates... because there but for the grace of God go I.

If I can help 'em, I'll help 'em. Sometimes I can't. Sometimes I fork over a twenty.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:31 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
You have plenty of stories don't you.. I'm calling BS.. stop making stuff up..

This thread is about cold people and a growing homeless population in downtown Charlotte. Not about someone scamming you for gas money or asking for a dollar on the street... You don't even know if they were homeless.

The original poster didn't suggest that we drop everything and run out on the street and start handing homeless people cash... Why is this a debate. There are cold homeless people out there. Find a way to help that you'd be comfortable with and help out. If you don't want to help, then buzz off. Stop trying to talk everyone else into thinking all homeless people are degenerate, druggie, alcoholic, thieving, scam artists...
Like any other group of people, the homeless do have their "bad guys". Some are in fact scam artists, theives, druggies and alcoholics.

And approximately 50% of the homeless suffer from some form of mental illness. National Alliance to End Homelessness: Policy: Policy Focus Areas: Mental Health and Physical Health (http://www.endhomelessness.org/section/policy/focusareas/health - broken link)

But some percentage of homeless are also people truly down on their luck. They want to work, but can't find jobs. They do work, but can't afford rent. Sometimes they have other health issues that they can't address due to lack of funds, so they can't work.

There is an entire spectrum of situations under the term "homeless". Therefore, it would not be fair or just to lump all homeless people in the same nice neat little package.

That being said, we should be prudent in how we try to help those less fortunate than ourselves. Unless you actually know the homeless person you can't be sure if you are dealing with a con artist, a druggie or a man just down on his luck.

Therefore, it is best (again, unless you personally know the person) to give your hard earned cash to groups and organizations that are experienced in working with this diverse group of people. Otherwise, you may have just helped the druggie buy his next score. And giving to the man on the street just encourages him to keep hanging out on the street begging. Give to the Salvation Army's homeless shelter, or donate goods for the homeless at churches involved in the Room in the Inn program. These are the ways you can be sure you are TRULY helping.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:43 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,991,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert fluid View Post
I am a student at cpcc and i am going to do a paper on the homeless in charlotte I need to know statistic about the death due to homeless what programs that are available to help people out of the grip of homeless those are just some of the issues i wont to address ......]
Hopefully your paper will be written better than your post.

Google?? We had to walk to the LIBRARY to get our research done! And that was after learning the Dewey Decimal System so we knew where to find the books listed on those little index cards. <insert old man smiley here>

Old 01-27-2010, 03:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert fluid View Post
I am a student at cpcc and i am going to do a paper on the homeless in charlotte I need to know statistic about the death due to homeless what programs that are available to help people out of the grip of homeless those are just some of the issues i wont to address so please stay in touch with me about the situation u can contact me via email @ robertfluid@yahoo.com
1st question
Let me google that for you

2nd question
Let me google that for you

Old 04-20-2010, 03:33 AM

36 posts, read 66,507 times
Charlotte NC very conservative city. The south very family oriented. So when a banker whos family paid for him to go to duke davidson unc or whatever sees a homeless person they cant comprehend.
Its economics ppl. Alot of homeless ppl want to work but have lengthy criminal records and cant find a place to wash there ass. So they stink. Being on the other side of the table its hard to understand what a homeless man goes through. Hell if you were homeless you'd probabley wanna get high too.
Don't be so judgemental. Leave that up to the lord god almighty.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo1052001 View Post
Charlotte NC very conservative city. The south very family oriented. So when a banker whos family paid for him to go to duke davidson unc or whatever sees a homeless person they cant comprehend.
Its economics ppl. Alot of homeless ppl want to work but have lengthy criminal records and cant find a place to wash there ass. So they stink. Being on the other side of the table its hard to understand what a homeless man goes through. Hell if you were homeless you'd probabley wanna get high too.
Only a small portion of the people who live in this city were fortunate enough to have families who paid their way through college. My hubby and I have advanced degrees and we did it the old fashioned way - working several jobs and paying for it ourselves.

Of course, it has helped that we dont' have criminal records.

Some folks seem to have an excuse for their life situations rather than taking responsibility for the bad decisions and owning the situation. There are plenty of organizations to help folks get back on their feet - if they are interested in putting in the effort. This city even spends millions on helping felons get integrated back into the community.

If you are down and out, go get some help. If you have money for drugs, you are making a life decision to stay in the rut where you live right now rather than taking action to turn your life around.

And that is NOT anyone's "fault." Society doesn't owe you a thing. Some of us were taught that from day one; some folks have to figure that out the hard way.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo1052001 View Post
GO PANTHERS... Is that you?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:52 AM

292 posts, read 671,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
GO PANTHERS... Is that you?
I was wondering the same thing. A different post of his on another thread also reminded me of him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte