Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Dear me. No one wants to be homeless! Everyone wants a roof over his/her head. Many of the homeless (estimates are - 35% or more) are mentally ill. They are usually the ones saying they don't want help b/c the nature of their illness makes them very paranoid and fearful of anyone doing ANYTHING for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 11:45 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I've heard that there are homeless people out there that WANT to be homeless! No responsiblities is one of the main reasons some of these folks choose this life. Heck, some of these homeless people have even been in the news b/c they were offered help to get off of the streets and not be homeless......and they declined. So, what is society suppose to think of that?? Some of the homeless have medical issues, but don't/can't get help. Others just want a "hand-out" of food and some spare change. That is fine.
A lot of us think, "those poor, poor people", while, truth be known, some of them DO want to be homeless.
Sir, you are absolutely correct. I learned that in San Francisco when I actually got to know some that lived near my sons flat. They actually lived in card board boxes, had garage sales from things they scrounged, and had no desire to get a job. They were actually quite nice and once in a while my son would drop off something for them to eat after they got to know him from seeing him every day. I found it strange when my son ran a bagel shop and gave some homeless guys leftover bagels. They threw them in the dumpster, cussed him out and said they didn't want that s..it. They wanted some drug money. Another weird experience was when I offered to buy a bum a meal after being approached. He said that he really just wanted the money that it would cost me. He wasn't really interested in eating. People that have bleeding hearts for homeless don't have a clue. Unless he/she is mentally incapable of working or physically handicapped by no choice of his/her own, my tollerance and caring level are basically zero. One last note, many are dangerous criminals and should be avoided at all expense. That is reality. Ask any cop. You are absolutely correct. Most want that life for the freedom and total lack of responsibility. But, there are some exceptions but the exceptions usually qualify for government services.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:51 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,302,985 times
And how do you know the difference??? I agree, there are some that are alcholoics/drug addicts. There are some that have mental problems. There are some that are just down and out! I just don't know how you can tell the difference.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:00 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
If it makes you guys feel better, walking by pathetic people, and thinking they want to be out there, like this, so be it.

I am pretty sensitive to Matthew, Chapter 6, so I am not bragging, but I used to buy a lunch a couple times a week for a homeless/legless man in Charlotte. My financial sector friends, that knew it all (right!!!!) used to ridicule me with the same crap...he can get a job, he wants to be here, etc.

My rationale was that if they are right, I have been duped, if they are wrong, then this guy is getting a decent meal several times a week. I would rather have been a fool, might have been, I don't know.

I always thought the rich guys that were "certain" the homeless were there by choice to be trying to assuage their guilt. Maybe so, maybe not.

LLN

Old 11-23-2008, 12:02 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
All I know is . . . I wouldn't let an animal suffer out in the cold w/o food and shelter. I don't think human beings should be shuffled aside like discarded trash, either. I am sure some people are druggies, some are mentally ill, some are down on their luck, some are runaways . . . but a society that won't at least offer a helping hand (whether a person is "worthy" or not) has truly lost its humanity.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:24 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
If it makes you guys feel better, walking by pathetic people, and thinking they want to be out there, like this, so be it.

I am pretty sensitive to Matthew, Chapter 6, so I am not bragging, but I used to buy a lunch a couple times a week for a homeless/legless man in Charlotte. My financial sector friends, that knew it all (right!!!!) used to ridicule me with the same crap...he can get a job, he wants to be here, etc.

My rationale was that if they are right, I have been duped, if they are wrong, then this guy is getting a decent meal several times a week. I would rather have been a fool, might have been, I don't know.

I always thought the rich guys that were "certain" the homeless were there by choice to be trying to assuage their guilt. Maybe so, maybe not.

LLN
I think that it is irrational to think that one is trying to "assuage their guilt" when perhaps one feels that avoidance is the best way to rid the presence of a menace. In my previous hometown in Florida, which was lots smaller than our metro area, three homeless individuals were arrested. These individuals hung around the downtown streets asking for assistance. These three individuals were eventually arrested. Each had murdered at least two people. One of those arrested was from Charlotte. I mentioned that those with physical or mental handicaps were not included in my general statement. I gladly help those that can not genuinely help themselves. The rest of them are not my problem. And, I am not trying to assuage any guilt. Perhaps if you took a stronger stance and spoke to law enforcement, you would find that avoidance and saying "no" is the best way to help many of them (excluding the obviously severely handicapped).

Old 11-23-2008, 02:14 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Giving a person on the street money is not really helping them in the long run. You would be better off donating money to a charitable organization for the homeless and carrying around some cards to give people when they ask for money. Even if they are going to use the money for food or some "legitimate" purpose giving money directly to them is an inefficient way to help.

I agree that a lot of homeless are either lazy or crazy and there is nothing you can really do to help them. I almost never carry cash with me so I can't help them on the street even if I felt inclined to.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:00 PM

769 posts, read 2,219,782 times
There is a difference between homeless people and panhandlers - some homeless people are panhandlers and some homeless people are panhandlers, but not all homeless people are panhandlers - and not all panhandlers are homeless people

There are those who choose to be both or either and there are plenty who are there temporarily due to circumstances beyond their control. To consign all homeless people to any one category makes as much sense as saying all Chinese are smart, or all African-Americans are thugs, or any other ugly stereotype - not true and totally not fair to those who aren't.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,863 times
The Charlotte Rescue Mission always accepts donations of food and warm clothing as well. They provide most of the food that is served to the homeless. For you hunters out there... you can donate venison to the shelter as well. Just drop off your deer to Hickory Hills or other participating processor and they will give the meat to the mission.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:27 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
Well, probably the BEST way to handle this Thread is to talk to some homeless people! Ask them directly why they are homeless, how long they've been homeless AND if they have ever requested help from any agency. You could be very, very surprised at what some of the homeless would tell you. We all can have compassion for the homeless, but many (not all) of them want MONEY more than a bag of food or six pack of Pepsi. Not to sound nasty, but just offer some homeless people a six pack of beer or a bottle of Whiskey and you will have a "new best friend" very quickly!! Just fact! The homeless situation is bad, but how to help the ones that truely WANT the help is a very good question. Shoot, there are people that are not homeless that even have a hard time getting help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte