Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:50 PM

6 posts, read 12,428 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. Now that I have your attention, stop being so defensive and lets get down to business. If you people really want to help, I'm going to give you all a chance to put your money and your time where your mouth currently is. I am building a facility that will house 4000 people that are currently on the streets. This facility will not be ran by the state but by my organization. For all of you who think you have the answers, I will respectfully take them online at a website at a later date. When we are finished with what is to be call "Paradise Isle" you will have an opportunity to come and truly help. It's great that this site exist for you all to talk about your experiences. But until you've been homeless and I have, you have no idea what that life consist of. Maybe you think you know, but I assure you, you don't know anything. But I'm going see how concerned you all really are about helping people. EVERYONE OF YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:44 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatdifferencedoesitmake? View Post
Hello Everyone. Now that I have your attention, stop being so defensive and lets get down to business. If you people really want to help, I'm going to give you all a chance to put your money and your time where your mouth currently is. I am building a facility that will house 4000 people that are currently on the streets. This facility will not be ran by the state but by my organization. For all of you who think you have the answers, I will respectfully take them online at a website at a later date. When we are finished with what is to be call "Paradise Isle" you will have an opportunity to come and truly help. It's great that this site exist for you all to talk about your experiences. But until you've been homeless and I have, you have no idea what that life consist of. Maybe you think you know, but I assure you, you don't know anything. But I'm going see how concerned you all really are about helping people. EVERYONE OF YOU!

behold a pale horse

Good luck.

Here's some advice: Honey draws more flies than vinegar... think about that next time before you start slamming your potential donors, LOL.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:55 AM

769 posts, read 2,219,782 times
Quote:
Not only did I read the posts, but I was greatly disturbed by a vast majority of them. And you obviously didn,t learn a thing from what I said. Americans like to talk about things instead of doing something. I am a proponent of what I have asked you to do and I'm not dejected from the reality of these peoples pain. If you feel that you are one of those people that I was talking about, then maybe you are one of those people that I was talking about.
And that is exactly what I'm talking about. You know nothing about me. As it happens, I regularly volunteer 3-4 times a month. Again, lumping everyone together makes you no better than what you accuse us of.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Do you have something a little more "reputable" for me to base my consideration of a donation on? I'm not likely to start dumping money into a project, no matter how altruistic your stated motives may be. Where's a business plan? Are you registering as a non-profit? Who is your organization?

And really, "Now that you have our attention"??? Hope your PR skills improve a bit.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:59 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:

Are you going to demonstrate your ability to walk on water as well at the opening? LOL.....geesh...

Why don't you tell us more about your facility? We just had a discussion about the homeless and many here are motivated to help. Do you have a name, website, address so we can check it out?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
It's easy to talk the talk and not so easy to walk the walk, Mr. "WhatDifference."

I have been thinking about creating a not for profit org myself to address the needs - so I find your attitude a real put-off - attacking those of us who truly are concerned. And yes, I do have the credentials to do that. Do you?

If you have the $$$ for a start up . . . that is one thing. If you are depending on grants and donations, that's a totally different matter.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Let me be real clear about what I said, so that there no misunderstanding and no misinterpretations. I said what I said, and I meant what I said. Usually people that give donations to local charitable groups and organizations don't give their time. There are a few and that is a small few who are an exception to the rule. You may be that person and then again, maybe not. As far as bitter words of sympathy goes - these are people who feel that they identify with the homeless by saying that they sympathize with them, and how they buy them meals and give them money and in the same usage of their mouth muscle call them derelicts, alcoholics and describe in detail how we should avoid a wide percentage of them because the police will attest to the fact how dangerous they can be. In truth most people don't want to be bothered with the homeless. They treat them like they arrived from another planet. They become uncomfortable in their presence, and they should be. If you are comfortable seeing a person, a human being without lifes essentials, shame on you. Most people truly don't care about anything that's not directly connected to themselves. We as people have lost our altruistic nature. We have abandoned the decency of loving our neighbor as ourselves, because in truth we do not love ourselves. We love stuff and the accumulation thereof. Most pets in this nation live better than homeless people. In the greatest nation on the face of this planet we can't solve a small problem such as helping people, and it is small in comparrison to the big picture. Yes, people are having a tough time right now in the wake of this financial amnesia. We simply forgot where we put our priorities and discovered that they were buried deep beneath our selfish desires. I quote you " I think most of us are doing well to provide for our own families and keep a roof over our own heads" maybe you don't mean to come off as one that is selfish, but this is the thinking of most Americans. The sooner we realize that we are all connected to one another, the sooner we will sit down and solve our petty differences. As far as ways to help - why not instead of you giving homeless people stuff - the next time you see a homeless person, sit down and talk to them like they have a brain. Treat them like you treat the people you love in your life. Get past the fact that they are dressed differently and not aromatically prepared, and find out why they are there. My statements were not berate those of you that give to shelters or are involved in helping - but to merely say DO MORE. And get those that do nothing to get involved, in this we make our society a safer and better society. And if you have people in your life that do not like homeless people, maybe you need a new set of friends.
You have made a lot of assumptions and you seem to be riding awfully high on that horse you rode into this forum on.

Lecturing folks with good intentions is sheer stupidity if you plan to garner a following and build a base of support.

Being passionate and committed is one thing; being angry and aggressively derisive is another. Methinks you need to learn the difference b/f you will be successful in your endeavor.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,004,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It's easy to talk the talk and not so easy to walk the walk, Mr. "WhatDifference."

I have been thinking about creating a not for profit org myself to address the needs - so I find your attitude a real put-off - attacking those of us who truly are concerned. And yes, I do have the credentials to do that. Do you?

If you have the $$$ for a start up . . . that is one thing. If you are depending on grants and donations, that's a totally different matter.
Ani,

I'd donate to you anyday. Seriously.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
Ani,

I'd donate to you anyday. Seriously.
You don't know how much that means to have you offer your support.

The first thing one has to do in creating a successful not-for-profit is gain the respect of the community - both the community that is being served and the community you are depending on for assistance/support. The next thing is to put together an advisory board of professional folks who have proven track records - and have real advice to offer to the venture. It all starts there.

There are already wonderful charitable institutions/agencies with track records out there . . . and one has to also carefully examine what these organizations have been able to accomplish. These ventures are expensive and if they rely on grants and donations, then their leadership must be solid.

Having a vision is one thing; being able to translate it into a workable venture is a wholly different matter.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Even if you have the money for a start up, there has to be some way to keep it going, whether through grants, donations, etc. Don't know of many people who can afford to keep a facility that size running on their own. Which again, means one should not start out by alienating their support base!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte