Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,515 times

Advertisements

I was once homeless. What some of you all think, I thought the same thing but they are people no different then those of us with warm homes to walk into. Things happen. People always assume that it has to be drug or alcohol related but that's not always the case drugs. I was taught, " if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." You never know, your day may come when it's you standing on the corner or living in a homeless shelter. I never thought it would be me but it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 05:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingridgaither View Post
I was once homeless. What some of you all think, I thought the same thing but they are people no different then those of us with warm homes to walk into. Things happen. People always assume that it has to be drug or alcohol related but that's not always the case drugs. I was taught, " if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." You never know, your day may come when it's you standing on the corner or living in a homeless shelter. I never thought it would be me but it was.
Ingrid - you must not have read this whole thread, as the majority of people who have posted are NOT being judgmental and indeed, are very sympathetic to the plight of individuals (and families) who have hit on hard times and need assistance.

You are right - it can happen to any of us. That is why it is so important to support organizations that provide assistance to the homeless, whether it is providing shelter, food, healthcare or job assistance.

As I said earlier, many times, people who find themselves homeless are trying to work but can't get ahead enuff to secure a downpayment on a decent apartment. So they are left in the streets. And if you are living on the streets, it is nearly impossible to get a decent job. So it is a vicious cycle and difficult to overcome unless there are people/organizations out there willing to give assistance.

With the economic situation this country is in, more and more families are facing eviction. This is a very serious situation and one wh/ we all need to be concerned about.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:47 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,351,628 times
There are also those who feign homelessness and meet early in the morning at undisclosed locations to split up and man intersections around town. Upon arrival , each sets up shop and asks for money all day , and at days end , they reconvene , pool their resources , and get a room at the Westin or some other lavish hotel for a week.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:58 AM

656 posts, read 2,315,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
There are also those who feign homelessness and meet early in the morning at undisclosed locations to split up and man intersections around town. Upon arrival , each sets up shop and asks for money all day , and at days end , they reconvene , pool their resources , and get a room at the Westin or some other lavish hotel for a week.
So, wouldn't you say the lesson is caveat donor?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:01 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
Unfortunately, these folks not only make it harder for those who have no place to go, but give all homeless a bad reputation. This is another reason why I don't give money to people on the street. I would rather, and I do give my money and donate goods to a legitimate orginization such as the Salvation Army, Goodwill, St. Vincent De Paul, York rescue mission, etc. that can and will help those in need.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 AM

246 posts, read 583,535 times
My general rule is that I will always buy a homeless person a meal (when I can afford it), but I am hesitant to give out cash.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:35 AM

852 posts, read 2,467,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingridgaither View Post
A number of years ago Prince Charles was visiting a homeless shelter in the UK and he met a man who had been at the same school as him years previously. the homeless guy had been the son of a millionaire financier and had been the author of a couple of books but somewhere along the line he had fallen by the wayside and he ended up on the streets. the point is that none of us know what's in store for us.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:39 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGNCSU05 View Post
My general rule is that I will always buy a homeless person a meal (when I can afford it), but I am hesitant to give out cash.
I have absolutely no problem doing that and have done it before. Many even appreciate a nice, steaming cup of coffee, especially on a cold day.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 12,428 times
After reading the statements, made by non-homeless people, I have a broader perspective on what stupidity really is. It makes me sad to be apart of a human race of people that think with such narrow minded views of what we as a people should do about other people in need. As smart as some people are, in matter such as this, they can truley define what part of their lives has been neglected. People are people are people are people, and just because we are not faced with their situation, we feel we have the inside story of how to fix their lives. Take care how you aim your bitter words of sympathy towards someone - you could be the next victim of this cruel and evil life of homelessness. But no way, not me you say - I have money and friends and family that will help me. The most beautiful thing about life, is that just when you least expect it, it will reward you accordingly. As we have all too often seen, you could lose all of that today, then what? So before any of you condemn these innocent people to hell. Notwithstanding, many of them have real problems, but look in the mirror, so do you. So, put down your stones and put on some old clothes tattered and torn, wallow in the dirt awhile and strike out to the streets and stand in the shoes of those that you have judged so harshly and see if but for a few hours if you can stand as the one you have declared so unworthy of living a decent life. The problem with all of you is that you just don't get it, people are people are people are people. Everybody needs help from everybody who is able to give it - and if you have a home, job, food - you are apart of the every-body. Until you have taken a person off the streets and invited them into your home, offered them a hot shower and a change of clothes, a hot meal and a place to lay their head, and I say this respectfully and for all those that cannot be here today to speak for themselves - SHUT THE !*#@ UP! If you didn't get my message, you certainly got that part huh? What a shame! Don't write any more unintelligent, foolish nonsense. Grow up people!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:12 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,004,624 times
WDDIM,

First let me say I have not read this whole thread but having read your response you should maybe consider that homelessness is not just a situation or something to provoke empathy. In many ways it is an epidemic and a chronic issue for people. There have been many studies done on homelessness and to think it is just something that happens to people is highly naive. Yes people can blink, have a series of unforeseen events and lose their home. But also we ARE dealing with people with mental illness, drug addiction and other outside issues that keep them for leading stable lives. To say people should not talk about these issues or should only have sympathy for the homeless is counterproductive. To not try to think of why it happens because it sounds harsh or might offend really gets us absolutely no where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte