Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:04 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times

Advertisements

I know Food Lion is no one's favorite store, however, you can certainly save a lot of $$ if you buy your canned and dry goods there. Their produce is pitiful, and I'm a little skiddish on their meat section after some of the news stories from years back (repackaging outdated meats).

Having worked in consumer sales for 10 years, I know for a fact that Food Lion drives the price for the local grocery community. Harris Teeter is considered the high-end grocery. To strike a balance, I like Lowes Foods, especially for produce. But if you are on a budget, consider Food Lion. If you have to go to Food Lion, the one in Indian Land, SC, off Hwy 521 is one of the nicer ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 04:24 PM

870 posts, read 3,527,365 times
Lived in NJ, PA, MD and NC. Grocery prices at Harris Teeter make the rest of the country look cheap. Never paid so much in my life for essentials. Joined Sam's Club and shop at Super Wal Mart which I would never have considered before.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:31 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwally View Post
I have seen a lot of discussion on groceries costing more from NY. I did a CNN cost of living calculator and they came up with groceries cost a few % less from Detroit to Charlotte. I am sure groceries can't be that different in NY from MI, so I am sure it won't be sticker shock. I think I will miss my discount grocery stores- we do have a plethora of them here!

I swear I'm paying more for groceries here than AZ.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:08 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Food Lion will take your arm and your leg with their prices. If it wasn't for the Super Walmart on route 29 the grocery bill surely would've jumped.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:34 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Aldi's canned goods are just as good as Food Lions and a whole lot cheaper. Some things are 29-49 cents.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
There is no way I would take a chance of causing my family to have a chance to be sick by buying the food that keeps them alive from some discount grocery store or big box department store that are mostly dirty and in storage and transport arrive in unsanitary conditions. At least with Harris Teeter I never been in one that wasnt clean a staff member ask if I needed assistant , the ailse are functional and items within correspond with each other. The butchers have given me recomindations for dinner and cut meat for me specificaly the way I needed. They allow me to use paper bags and recycle my milk bottles very top notch worth and extra 2 cents on a item.

To each their own I guess just I cannot phathom buying elsewhere it just gross thinking about it

Old 05-31-2007, 06:59 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
There is no way I would take a chance of causing my family to have a chance to be sick by buying the food that keeps them alive from some discount grocery store or big box department store that are mostly dirty and in storage and transport arrive in unsanitary conditions. At least with Harris Teeter I never been in one that wasnt clean a staff member ask if I needed assistant , the ailse are functional and items within correspond with each other. The butchers have given me recomindations for dinner and cut meat for me specificaly the way I needed. They allow me to use paper bags and recycle my milk bottles very top notch worth and extra 2 cents on a item.

To each their own I guess just I cannot phathom buying elsewhere it just gross thinking about it
Sorry, SunnyKayak, I really enjoy most of your posts, but this last one is just your own paranoia talking. Clean and cook the food properly and throughly and you won't get sick. To think that HT is the only place to find "clean" food is ridiculous. C'mon!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:09 AM

132 posts, read 444,739 times
Default Milk

Just bought a gallon at Publix here in South Florida for $3.79, is it more than that at HT? Moving in a couple of weeks and still can't wait. Thanks!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

Aldi's products are actually pretty high quality, though I wouldn't purchase meat from there. Most of there stores are pretty clean too, with a few exceptions. They keep their prices low by keeping their overhead low and selling mostly staple groceries, not by selling low quality products. For example, you bring your own bags or you can purchase them. You bag your own products so they only need to pay a cashier. They are only open until 7pm so they do not pay OT. You have to rent a cart with a 25 cent deposit which is good because the carts aren't all over the parking lot running into your car and people don't steal them. I've been shopping at Aldi's in WNY and Charlotte for years without any problems. Many Aldi's products are name brand products with a different name on them. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them if you didn't know. Aldi's is German-owned and also owns Trader Joe's, so quality is not an issue there.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:30 AM

98 posts, read 341,672 times
I'm new to the area from KC and the grocery prices here are incredibly high in comparison but I've found Lowes Foods to be the best in the sense that prices are reasonable but the place is well maintained. For those of you who will be moving in, make sure to get the shopper cards and that will help cut prices quite a bit. I spent $40 at Lowes but saved $13 just by having my card.

For those of you who go to Food Lion, I will warn you: I had two credit cards stolen two days ago and the only merchant that accepted them was Food Lion because "policy changed a year ago to never checking ID when using a credit card". One of the charges was $409!!! It was apparently so suspicious that a gas station declined the sale but not Food Lion. From a customer service standpoint, I am mortified! For that reason alone I will never go to Food Lion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: