Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:49 PM

364 posts, read 1,168,363 times

Advertisements

I have seen a lot of discussion on groceries costing more from NY. I did a CNN cost of living calculator and they came up with groceries cost a few % less from Detroit to Charlotte. I am sure groceries can't be that different in NY from MI, so I am sure it won't be sticker shock. I think I will miss my discount grocery stores- we do have a plethora of them here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 12:56 PM

525 posts, read 1,805,039 times
Discount grocery? Hmm...there is an Aldi here...also there is fresh produce stands and good weekly deals! HT has a lot of buy one get one free this week.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:58 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,719,442 times
One thing I do miss (and I love it here, so I'm not missing too many things), is my grocery store in NJ (Shop Rite). Loved that place! Great prices, great selection. In order to get all of my weekly groceries here, I actually go to three different stores (Earth Fare, Harris Teeter and Target or Walmart, for packaged goods). Oh, and for milk I go to the gas station (it's less expensive there, believe it or not) or Sam's Club. Lots of driving around here, whereas I used to do just one-stop-shopping. No compaints, here...just an observation.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:03 PM

I use Hunter Farms milk at Harris Teeter, by the time you drive everywhere you don't save much !! I use this milk b/c it is hormone free and it is a decent price.
Just an observation..the only place I shop regularly is HT..I do go to Walmart on occasion and also to BiLO if they are having a great sale but most of the time they don't have what is on sale.....???
Harris Teeter will sub if they don't have it. Where is Earth Fare? I might check that out too!

Old 05-30-2007, 01:08 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,432,819 times
HT's prices are outrageous. For example, their bogo free of Coke last week was when you buy a 12 pack at the regular price of $5.77! You can regularly get deals of four for $10 at most stores on Coke and Pepsi 12 packs. Aldi is good for most things. I don't like some of their juices though because they come from China (I am trying to eat loacl but that's kind of difficult with the drought). Earth Fare is organic/local/natural so the prices can be higher. One on Johnston Rd and they are considering one in Rock Hill. Supertarget is pretty cheap on most groceries (as is Walmart but I don't like them too much).

Old 05-30-2007, 01:09 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,050 times
Default A Discount Grocery and AngelFoodMinistries.com

Both really help with my grocery budget!

A Discount Grocery Store is on South Blvd. almost up to Uptown. It is only open from 9-4:30pm and has only limited freezer and fridge space in the main part of the store. But the freezer trucks are open from 12-12:30pm every day, including Saturday. It is really kind of fun to go there. It is almost like a thrift store in that they get overstocks and such and you never know what they will have the time you go.

AngelFoodMinistries.com to find a local group click on "host sites" You pick up foods once a month. It is NOT needs based and anyone can participate.

Dawn

Old 05-30-2007, 01:56 PM

240 posts, read 1,033,737 times
Coming from the Northeast (NYC/PA), I don't think that groceries in Charlotte are priced all that differently than the other areas I've lived in up north. Besides milk, which seems to be like gold down here

Old 05-30-2007, 02:32 PM

Hmm..I won't shop from Aldi...did you see where toothpaste and other things that are not from the US sold in dollar stores have very high concentrations of flouride and other things?
Also at HT you don't have to buy 2 to get one free..they half it if you buy one. So really the coke is about the same price...I hate superwalmart but still go for some things...I just shop the circular and use double coupons..my bill at Ht is about the same give or take 20 bucks as if I do all my shopping at Walmart..and I don't like Walmart's meats AT ALL.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:01 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,719,442 times
I just wish there was more competition for HT here. They have somewhat of a monopoly going on in their quality level. I agree with groove1 HT's prices are pretty high in comparison. However, when they have their BOGO deals, they're pretty good.
I truly hate Walmart, but they've got some of the items I need at unbeatable prices. I've gotten some amazing deals on fresh (organic) produce at EarthFare. I just "feel" healthier shopping there. LOL!
Dawn, the discount grocery store you described sounds wonderful. Where exactly is it?

Old 05-30-2007, 03:20 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,050 times
A Discount Grocery
2208 South Boulevard, Charlotte, NC 28203
(704) 344-0611

From the south end I take the 77 north
exit Remount
right on Remout
left on South Blvd.

Up about 2-3 blocks just past the car wash.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I just wish there was more competition for HT here. They have somewhat of a monopoly going on in their quality level. I agree with groove1 HT's prices are pretty high in comparison. However, when they have their BOGO deals, they're pretty good.
I truly hate Walmart, but they've got some of the items I need at unbeatable prices. I've gotten some amazing deals on fresh (organic) produce at EarthFare. I just "feel" healthier shopping there. LOL!
Dawn, the discount grocery store you described sounds wonderful. Where exactly is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: