Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:30 AM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times

Advertisements

milk at Harris Teeter is about 3.99-5.99/gallon, depending on if its HT brand, Hunter Farms or Organic, not sure about anywhere else..BJs has milk for 2.79/gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 08:34 AM

189 posts, read 580,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
There is no way I would take a chance of causing my family to have a chance to be sick by buying the food that keeps them alive from some discount grocery store or big box department store that are mostly dirty and in storage and transport arrive in unsanitary conditions. At least with Harris Teeter I never been in one that wasnt clean a staff member ask if I needed assistant , the ailse are functional and items within correspond with each other. The butchers have given me recomindations for dinner and cut meat for me specificaly the way I needed. They allow me to use paper bags and recycle my milk bottles very top notch worth and extra 2 cents on a item.

To each their own I guess just I cannot phathom buying elsewhere it just gross thinking about it
I think clean is mainly due to your perception. You do not want to know the amount of bacteria present on food no matter where you shop. Like another poster said just cook it thoroughly and you should be fine.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:49 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
I am sure if you checked HT's warehouses that would be in no betetr shape than any other grocery store. Not to mention where the food originally comes from.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
Hmm..I won't shop from Aldi...did you see where toothpaste and other things that are not from the US sold in dollar stores have very high concentrations of flouride and other things?
Also at HT you don't have to buy 2 to get one free..they half it if you buy one. So really the coke is about the same price...I hate superwalmart but still go for some things...I just shop the circular and use double coupons..my bill at Ht is about the same give or take 20 bucks as if I do all my shopping at Walmart..and I don't like Walmart's meats AT ALL.

Aldi's is not a dollar store. They do not buy closeout products like Dollar Tree from foreign countries.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:25 AM

14 posts, read 45,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
One thing I do miss (and I love it here, so I'm not missing too many things), is my grocery store in NJ (Shop Rite). Loved that place! Great prices, great selection. In order to get all of my weekly groceries here, I actually go to three different stores (Earth Fare, Harris Teeter and Target or Walmart, for packaged goods). Oh, and for milk I go to the gas station (it's less expensive there, believe it or not) or Sam's Club. Lots of driving around here, whereas I used to do just one-stop-shopping. No compaints, here...just an observation.
I would have to agree. The 1st time I went food shopping and saw how much more my groceries were I ws shocked! Not enough to ever move back, but shocked. I would say, except for housing (and that's a big one) the cost of living day to day is the same if not higher here th an Long Island.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:36 PM

714 posts, read 2,305,563 times
We've noticed that prices on certain things are outrageous in Charlotte, vs. Fairfax, VA where we came from. Particularly bell peppers and soda.

I live within two miles of Lowes and HT. I check their circulars and stock up on certain items only when they go on sale.

We joined BJ's Wholesale club in Pineville. We buy 6 red/yellow/orange bell peppers there a week for something like $5-$6 a bag. They go for several times that at the grocery store. The produce at BJ's is pretty good, and their bread and milk selection is decent. We have had problems with their frozen ice cream being melted/refrozen, though.

I miss Giant and especially Wegman's from Virginia. Even Kroger would be an improvement. The stranglehold of HT is annoying.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:42 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
We've noticed that prices on certain things are outrageous in Charlotte, vs. Fairfax, VA where we came from. Particularly bell peppers and soda.

I live within two miles of Lowes and HT. I check their circulars and stock up on certain items only when they go on sale.

We joined BJ's Wholesale club in Pineville. We buy 6 red/yellow/orange bell peppers there a week for something like $5-$6 a bag. They go for several times that at the grocery store. The produce at BJ's is pretty good, and their bread and milk selection is decent. We have had problems with their frozen ice cream being melted/refrozen, though.

I miss Giant and especially Wegman's from Virginia. Even Kroger would be an improvement. The stranglehold of HT is annoying.
I can just imagine how much you must miss Wegman's!!! I've only been there a few times (I have relatives that live in the DC area) and I miss it! What a perfect grocery store. A bit pricey, but soooo worth it!

Old 05-31-2007, 04:50 PM

Go to the farmers stands they are CHEAP! and BETTER produce!

Old 05-31-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
Go to the farmers stands they are CHEAP! and BETTER produce!
I find the markets to be just as expensive sometimes, but the extra cost can be worth it. Sometimes it cheaper too. I work near the one on Yorkmont.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:58 PM

Hmm I go to a little produce stand up the road, green peppers are 50 cents each, red 99 cents, tomatoes 1.69/lb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: