Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:41 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times

Advertisements

Chicago is the city of broad shoulders from the hard working blue collar men and women that make this city. If you want a bible thumping far right area than yes, wheaton takes the cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 03:33 AM

588 posts, read 1,800,232 times
Clearly with how poorly managed Chicago is, it is a Liberal stronghold. Money blown on crackpot social programs and given away to "Ministers" and other talking heads. A sanctuary for illegals, while the everyday working man struggles and suffers. The Mayor is anti-gun and anti-Police. The list could could on. The majority of more conservative minded people are in the burbs in DuPage and Will. There are plenty of conservatives in Chicago but they've basically been beaten into submission or that they should feel bad or guilty for their opinions. Kind of like if you call Obama an awful President people will then try to say you must be racist.

Last edited by ofcjim40; 08-03-2010 at 04:53 AM..

Old 08-03-2010, 07:38 AM

320 posts, read 955,000 times
I think you will be most comfortable in Wheaton or Naperville, though you will be hard pressed to find the type of "conservative" machine that Colorado is well known for.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I don't really like "liberal" and "conservative" - because there are two very different parts to those phrases.

Socially liberal/conservative
Fiscally liberal/conservative.

I would say areas of the south/west side of the city tend to be a little more socially conservative from what I've seen. They're also probably the most fiscally liberal though.

Areas on the north side of the city and some near north/west suburbs seem to be more liberal/liberal.

Areas on a north shore are more socially liberal and then it gets more fiscally conservative.

West just seems moderate.

South is a blend. Liberal/liberal. Southwest might be more socially conservative and fiscally conservative.

I'm just making general statements - maybe I'm totally wrong!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:09 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownCO View Post
Which parts of Chicago are the most conservative? I assume that some of the suburbs like Wheaton and Downers Grove would be the best bets, but what are the most conservative areas closest to the city? We'd like an area where at least a significant part of the population shares our conservative values (pro-life, against same-sex marriage, low taxes, traditionally religious, etc.). I know that the Chicago area on the whole is quite liberal, but what areas are not?

And how would you compare Chicago liberalism with New York liberalism? Is either significantly more liberal than the other?

LOW TAXES WHERE, tax lows here tax highs there

Old 08-03-2010, 04:24 PM

36 posts, read 93,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Are you planning to move to Chicago area or NYC?

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-new-york.html
I have possible opportunities in either city. I've spent a good deal of time in both cities, but not enough to get a really good feel for them.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:26 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I don't really like "liberal" and "conservative" - because there are two very different parts to those phrases.

Socially liberal/conservative
Fiscally liberal/conservative.

I would say areas of the south/west side of the city tend to be a little more socially conservative from what I've seen. They're also probably the most fiscally liberal though.

Areas on the north side of the city and some near north/west suburbs seem to be more liberal/liberal.

Areas on a north shore are more socially liberal and then it gets more fiscally conservative.

West just seems moderate.

South is a blend. Liberal/liberal. Southwest might be more socially conservative and fiscally conservative.

I'm just making general statements - maybe I'm totally wrong!
You're not totally wrong. You're right about the southside being socially conservative, primarily when it comes to gays(gay males definitely) and gay marriage. I don't think Chicago is really that liberal, socially wise.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:40 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
You're not totally wrong. You're right about the southside being socially conservative, primarily when it comes to gays(gay males definitely) and gay marriage. I don't think Chicago is really that liberal, socially wise.

Economic liberals would rather see Gays make good money than get married. Many social liberals would allow Gays to form marriage unions but not labor unions. Then guys like me are economic liberals primarily but somewhat socially liberal as well. But on the side; the money comes first. Besides, tolerating people's differences is part of being a good trade unionist; nobody should be hassled or held back from making a living.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 PM

80 posts, read 302,501 times
Suburban Cook County Election Results

New York City is more liberal.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:30 AM

43 posts, read 27,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelike View Post
Suburban Cook County Election Results

New York City is more liberal.
Notice how the most liberal candidate got the most votes, and the most conservative candidates got the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago