Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:09 AM

320 posts, read 955,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
So when someone comes on here and asks for a liberal area or "diverse" neighborhood only why do I not see anyone call that want "bigotry?"
I've done so before. When liberals fear moving somewhere that they don't feel aligns themselves with their values, I've called them out on being afraid to move out of their bubble, both on here, and in the..um..real world.

The original poster may just be looking for a congregation, and that's fine. However, the post comes off like one of those mega-church types that wants to shelter themselves from anything that may conflict with how they want to see the world. Colorado Springs and other mid-sized cities in Colorado is infamous for having those types....Ted Haggard was big there for a reason. For better or for worse, Willow Creek and Moody Bible don't really fall into the same category as some of the meg-churches out West.

The closest thing to those is what Munsey runs out in Munster, IN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 11:02 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
If diversity were code for black, then you could call it bigotry, but I think we can all agree it's simply not. When someone asks for diversity, they're looking for diversity.
You would be surprised how many black people themselves use "diversity" as a code word for a large % of blacks in a neighborhood,school,church,etc...
It has happened many times in the forum even.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:29 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,232 times
But what I get tired of is people putting their values on other people. All these "liberal" minded people that are telling someone they are wrong for wanting this or that in a neighborhood are just as wrong too. If a black family wants to live in a black neighborhood, it's their choice. Same with white or any other ethnicity. If someone wants to live in a diverse neighborhood, that is also their choice. Who am I to tell someone where to live or how to spend their money. Let's drop the double standards. If someone says they want to live in a neighborhood that is majority white with a median income over $70,000. It's no different that someone saying they want to live in a racially diverse area with low rents. People are so damn sensitive and self righteous it's sickening.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:48 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
There's a difference between wanting to live in a socioeconomically homogenous area and a racially homogenous area.

If you tell me "I don't want to live around black people" I'm going to call you a racist.

It's important to note, however, that the OP didn't ask this and as such I said nothing to them about it.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:15 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
So when someone comes on here and asks for a liberal area or "diverse" neighborhood only why do I not see anyone call that want "bigotry?"
As others have pointed out, some people have been called out on that in the past.

I think you're mis-reading what most posters mean by "diverse". They're not really talking about race at all, they're basically saying they don't want to live in an area that they would consider to be "yuppified".

Old 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
There's a difference between wanting to live in a socioeconomically homogenous area and a racially homogenous area.

If you tell me "I don't want to live around black people" I'm going to call you a racist.

It's important to note, however, that the OP didn't ask this and as such I said nothing to them about it.
Very true. I'm not going to guess at the motivations of the OP, but there are two likely possibilities that I see. One is that they don't want to have anyone unlike them living anywhere around them. The other, and more likely, motivation is that they don't want to feel like they are the only people around who hold their beliefs. That is understandable, but a little paranoid and insecure to me.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
...I think you're mis-reading what most posters mean by "diverse". They're not really talking about race at all, they're basically saying they don't want to live in an area that they would consider to be "yuppified".
Not true.

Most of the time on this site when people say diverse it is code word for not many whites or majority "minority."

Old 09-02-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
...If you tell me "I don't want to live around black people" I'm going to call you a racist...
So blacks that want to live around other blacks get a pass on the racist card don't they? There are plenty of black people that do not want to live around white people. Are they racist?

Old 09-02-2010, 05:50 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
Not true.

Most of the time on this site when people say diverse it is code word for not many whites or majority "minority."

I don't agree with that. At least 50% of the time the poster is white or part of a mixed race couple.

Last edited by surlycue; 09-02-2010 at 06:30 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 PM

767 posts, read 489,477 times
Quote:
You would be surprised how many black people themselves use "diversity" as a code word for a large % of blacks in a neighborhood,school,church,etc...
It has happened many times in the forum even.
Really, which neighborhoods? I've never heard anyone refer to Englewood, Austin, or Roseland as "diverse" Quite the contrary. I have heard many people refer to Logan Square, Rogers Park, Uptown as diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago