Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:11 PM

7 posts, read 4,715 times

Advertisements

@ OP

Have you checked out other cities like LA & NYC? It maybe more to your liking. Nothing wrong with Chicago, but for a city that claims to be a 'world' city it lacks in diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 06:27 PM

427 posts, read 463,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyLiveInTheMiddle View Post
Nothing wrong with Chicago, but for a city that claims to be a 'world' city it lacks in diversity.
Clearly you have never been to Chicago.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:41 PM

175 posts, read 637,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
I think you will see crime eventually,but yeah hyde park is a bright spot
but its mostly urbans blks and very liberal whites.
Not sure which Hyde Park you are in, but it isn't the same one I live in!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:46 PM

175 posts, read 637,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett View Post
Clearly you have never been to Chicago.
Agree 100% - this person must have never set foot in Chicago!

Old 08-13-2011, 12:42 AM

116 posts, read 365,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Chicagos the opposite, you will NEVER hear someway say something that is openly racist.
Guess what's not true...

Old 08-13-2011, 01:58 PM

928 posts, read 1,714,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
There are countless reasons, not all nerfarious, why people prefer to hang out and surround themselves in homogenous communities.
What is your theory on why Chicagoans are opposed to diversity in a way residents of other major American cities are not?

My (erroneous) assumption was that in a city with so many types of people, you'd be able to go somewhere and see them all together in the same place. I ask what your theory is not to be snide, but because I am honestly curious about your thoughts. My long-held assumption was that a city's diversity = integration. I haven't seen the entire country, but I've seen a lot of it, towns big and small, and in my admittedly limited experiences, cities with a lot of diversity tend to have a lot of diverse neighborhoods. Here, this is not the case. You're not just going to go out and encounter a group of people whose members represent more than the tiniest demographic.

One might argue that people aren't comfortable around people who are "different" which is why I can understand segregation in Worley, Idaho. But here? There are enough "different" people around that you should be used to it, and realize that "others" are just like you. What's the problem?

I understand that Chicago has a long history of racial tension, but please tell me that is not still lingering even now. I mean, come on, this isn't Birmingham and it isn't 1961. Please tell me there's a better reason.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:56 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,304,236 times
Chicago is diverse, but a massive chunk of its populous tends to commute from outside the major city area. When you're in the Loop, you see more interracial friendships and romances prancing around like nobody's business. When it's time to go home though, sometimes we go our separate ways.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:32 PM

665 posts, read 1,244,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Chicago is diverse, but a massive chunk of its populous tends to commute from outside the major city area. When you're in the Loop, you see more interracial friendships and romances prancing around like nobody's business. When it's time to go home though, sometimes we go our separate ways.
do you see white people and Black people actually hanging out with
one of other, or do you just see white and blk ppl occupying the same space but in segregated groups. what part of the loop is this.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:33 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,304,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
do you see white people and Black people actually hanging out with
one of other, or do you just see white and blk ppl occupying the same space but in segregated groups. what part of the loop is this.

I see white and black people hanging out all the time. They may mostly be the younger set though, like teens or twenties, before they get all jaded about it.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:10 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,133,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax419 View Post
Guess what's not true...
I was referring to more to relative to other parts of the country such the south (and here I'm referring more to urban areas in the south, or even southern influenced cities that are NOT southern IE: Cincinnati).

In big cities like Chicago (or fill in the lake) that have been big and diverse for a long time, the overall personality is one where people are more likely to be blunt, direct, even in your face, but when it comes to race issues, people use code words. (such as: section 8, welfare mothers, illegals, etc.) because they have to because they know how to comment on other demographic groups, that they may have issue with.

In less smaller, less cosmopolitan cities, or cities that have only recently in history become major players, you still have people that are still brought up in a less urban mindset, where people come across as less direct, more nice, friendly, or at worse passive-agressive, but since they have not been around as much diversit until recently, they are still used to using very direct language about people that are different from them, because there were less social ramifications.

This could describe the difference between Chicago and say Atlanta.

One city has become the mecca of black professionals, where they have a strong presence in most upscale areas of that metro, even if you have a few hillbilly old timers living in some old working class enclave where they may not see anything wrong with using the "N" word.

Versus: the other city, where most natives have lived in that urban area for at least a couple generations, and have been exposed to: Polish, Jewish, Greek, Italian, Black, Mexican, Irish, and other hyphenated Americans for a couple generations where they may have developed views of all of them, but cover it up, because they have lived in that urban environment where it is majorly looked down upon, and can even get them in trouble. So, they use code words at backyard barbecues. And there is a noticeable lack of black people in most of the upscale neighborhoods and suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago