Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:15 AM

30 posts, read 66,518 times

Advertisements

I don’t go to clubs often because I am married with a family. However, I had the opportunity to go to a martini lounge in the South Suburbs because an old Navy friend from Philadelphia was in town and wanted to go out. My husband, friend, and myself went to this club and there was a $10 dollar charge to get in. My first reaction was for this hole in the wall place. Well, the club wasn’t too bad; however, it wasn’t my cup of tea. You had patrons going next door to Harold’s Chicken and bringing their dinners to the bar to eat. Now that is ghetto or should I say uncouth. Being Black, most of us like to group us all in one box. I maybe Black, however, when I am in the company of some of my Black people, I don’t feel comfortable as I wouldn’t feel comfortable around some Whites or Hispanics for that matter. Most people think that all Blacks share all of the same cultural identities or stereotypes that are often afflicted among us. I definitely understand what the original poster said. There are articles going around about affluent and middle class Blacks not having an advantage like their White counterparts. Whites can live around like people and don’t have to worry about their property value going down. Your trailer trash is often out of sight out mind in their own little park. Affluent and middle class Blacks often are mixed in with your working class and lower income Blacks. From experience, less working class and most lower income Blacks don’t share the same values as the more affluent and educated Blacks. If you go most Black neighborhoods, you see broken bottles everywhere and litter. You go to White neighborhoods, you see the neighbors picking up litter as I do around my house. That is why I advise everyone to leave the block and learn about new things and opportunities. All Blacks don’t like fried chicken, kool-aid, and other things that are bad for you all of the time. I like Whole Foods and I can definitely do without a Moo and Oink with the exception of a chicken wing or turkey hot link.

I know that it was a little off base; however, Whites and Blacks do mingle. Yesterday, I happen to go to Wicker Park to visit my sister and her boyfriend that happens to be White and we discuss race relations all the time. It is not taboo. OP, just get out and mingle. Make friends at work. Mostly all of my friends which are very little are interracial couples. We all come from different backgrounds; Muslim, Indian, Pakistani, African, Jewish, gay, just to make a point from all walks of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantanative83 View Post
Your first mistake is your take on going to black clubs is GHETTO.....get it together , your perpetuating racism yourself, yet you wanna be in a mixed environment........so youre saying because youre educated you have to be in a mixed environment, not an all black one because your a professional not ghetto? wtf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 11:29 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbermishoe View Post
I don’t go to clubs often because I am married with a family. However, I had the opportunity to go to a martini lounge in the South Suburbs because an old Navy friend from Philadelphia was in town and wanted to go out. My husband, friend, and myself went to this club and there was a $10 dollar charge to get in. My first reaction was for this hole in the wall place. Well, the club wasn’t too bad; however, it wasn’t my cup of tea. You had patrons going next door to Harold’s Chicken and bringing their dinners to the bar to eat. Now that is ghetto or should I say uncouth. Being Black, most of us like to group us all in one box. I maybe Black, however, when I am in the company of some of my Black people, I don’t feel comfortable as I wouldn’t feel comfortable around some Whites or Hispanics for that matter. Most people think that all Blacks share all of the same cultural identities or stereotypes that are often afflicted among us. I definitely understand what the original poster said. There are articles going around about affluent and middle class Blacks not having an advantage like their White counterparts. Whites can live around like people and don’t have to worry about their property value going down. Your trailer trash is often out of sight out mind in their own little park. Affluent and middle class Blacks often are mixed in with your working class and lower income Blacks. From experience, less working class and most lower income Blacks don’t share the same values as the more affluent and educated Blacks. If you go most Black neighborhoods, you see broken bottles everywhere and litter. You go to White neighborhoods, you see the neighbors picking up litter as I do around my house. That is why I advise everyone to leave the block and learn about new things and opportunities. All Blacks don’t like fried chicken, kool-aid, and other things that are bad for you all of the time. I like Whole Foods and I can definitely do without a Moo and Oink with the exception of a chicken wing or turkey hot link.

I know that it was a little off base; however, Whites and Blacks do mingle. Yesterday, I happen to go to Wicker Park to visit my sister and her boyfriend that happens to be White and we discuss race relations all the time. It is not taboo. OP, just get out and mingle. Make friends at work. Mostly all of my friends which are very little are interracial couples. We all come from different backgrounds; Muslim, Indian, Pakistani, African, Jewish, gay, just to make a point from all walks of life.
I had a classmate from business school, a black woman, who went to an Ivy League school for undergrad. Growing up her parents purposely minimized her contact with other black people outside of their family circle by living in all white neighborhoods, schools etc.

She was noticeably uncomfortable in majority Black settings (for example we were part of a scholarship program geared towards blacks so sometimes we had to attend these events.) and even though she was friendly with the few of us Black classmates at school she was most comfortable around whites and Asians.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
One might argue that people aren't comfortable around people who are "different" which is why I can understand segregation in Worley, Idaho.
It's funny (and ironic) that you used a random example that just happens to be about 50% white and 50% Native American. In that area, minorities can live wherever they want, as there are no segregated neighborhoods (and no segregation, for that matter) to feel obligated to. You'll miss that town if you blink, and there's only like 200 people there, contained in a small area.

OP, I don't know if this will be any help to you, but here's some diverse and educated areas that also have educated blacks (at least, as they were in 2000) (I don't know Chicago or these areas, so pardon me if my geographical descriptions are off, I'm just providing the numbers):

-Census tract 2819, an area west of the Loop, bounded by W Madison St on the north, the Chicago River on the east, W Van Buren St on the south, and Halsted St on the west.

-Census tract 3205, basically just east of ^ (looks like the southern 2/3 of the Loop), bounded by Monroe St on the north, State St on the east, Roosevelt Rd on the south, and the Chicago River on the west.

-Census tract 3907, an area of Kenwood between E 47th and E 51st, east of Dorchester to the lake.

-Census tract 4110, the SE portion of Hyde Park.

-Census tract 4107, another area of Hyde Park between 52nd/55th, and S Woodlawn and S Dorchester.

Source:
American FactFinder

Good luck OP, in situations like this I feel as though "being yourself" is the best way to get through feelings like this, either people will warm up to you or not, and if they don't, it's probably their loss if they don't warm up to you because of superficial reasons.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:59 PM

928 posts, read 1,714,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
It's funny (and ironic) that you used a random example that just happens to be about 50% white and 50% Native American. In that area, minorities can live wherever they want, as there are no segregated neighborhoods (and no segregation, for that matter) to feel obligated to. You'll miss that town if you blink, and there's only like 200 people there, contained in a small area.
Have we not learned that multiple races in a city does not equal integration? Saying the town is roughly 1/2 white and 1/2 Native doesn't mean they all mingle. Unless, of course, you happen to be an expert on the demographics of Worley, ID, which you very may well be.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:53 PM

81 posts, read 238,704 times
All of you who are trying to argue what the OP, or try to invalidate his perspective, just does not understand where he is coming from. You actually have to be a young educated black male to understand. I had a friend who went to one of the most prestigious high schools in the suburbs of Chicago, and also went on to one of the top colleges in the nation. Most of the people he was dealing with were Caucasian. Once he landed a great job, he thought living with other young professionals would be good for him so he found a nice spot in the Lincoln Park and Lake View. He told me those two years were the most miserable time in his life. He tried communicating and being social, but instead he felt isolated. I told him what is the reason, but he said it is something unexplainable. He said, "I just feel so uncomfortable for the first time, and I do not know why, and this is my hometown, but it does not feel like home". "However I do not want to go live in a predominantly
African American area".

It is hard for most of you to understand, but it just seems most of the residents who reside in most of Chicago's popular neighborhoods just refuse to mingle, talk, hang out with people who are a different ethnicity. He got a job in Philly, and was living out in the Delaware Valley and it was completely different. He could go to all white hangouts and feel comfortable. You had people from different backgrounds, talking and mingling. Not just white and black, but Latinos, Asians, etc;. I am not going to go out and call the residents of Chicago racist, but why is it like that? It kind of reminds me like the DC and Baltimore area where at times it feels like it is white vs black, and if you are black you have to start acting and being black, and if you are white the same way goes. That notion that it does not matter if you are an educated black male applies there as well, white folks don't care you are just black.

He stated that maybe it is because of stereotypes, and stories about African Americans they hear in the media. However Philly is going through something similar, yet Caucasians, Asians, Latinos, and blacks still mingle and talk. You can go to a bar in South Philly that is all white and if you are the only black person there, you will still feel comfortable and welcomed compared to probably any bar or club in GC/LP/WP/ or Lake View that is practically all white.

Remember Milton Bradley, MLB baseball player, who just couldn't stand the fans in Chicago. He was a multi-millionare, African-American and I rememeber rumors of him saying all he did was stay home, and the only time he went out was to see him son. He probably only went out once during his tenure and was subjected to racial comments and epithets from fans in Wrigley Field. Remember most people who live in these neighborhoods are suburbanites and transplants from places in other states. Makes you wonder if racism is really deep sided among many Caucasian folks in the Chicago area.

Last edited by prinessdanika99; 08-15-2011 at 12:15 AM..

Old 08-15-2011, 12:25 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Quote:
Have we not learned that multiple races in a city does not equal integration?
I agree with you 100%^.

My point in the previous post was that the entire region (the areas surrounding Worley, ID), are not diverse, but the minority population(s) that is there is integrated, and not segregated, and are not expected to live in certain areas or uphold stereotypes. Every one is treated equally for the most part.

Perhaps OP would do better in a less popular, less pretentious neighborhood?

Old 08-15-2011, 01:08 AM

427 posts, read 463,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
All of you who are trying to argue what the OP, or try to invalidate his perspective, just does not understand where he is coming from. You actually have to be a young educated black male to understand. I had a friend who went to one of the most prestigious high schools in the suburbs of Chicago, and also went on to one of the top colleges in the nation. Most of the people he was dealing with were Caucasian. Once he landed a great job, he thought living with other young professionals would be good for him so he found a nice spot in the Lincoln Park and Lake View. He told me those two years were the most miserable time in his life. He tried communicating and being social, but instead he felt isolated. I told him what is the reason, but he said it is something unexplainable. He said, "I just feel so uncomfortable for the first time, and I do not know why, and this is my hometown, but it does not feel like home". "However I do not want to go live in a predominantly
African American area".

It is hard for most of you to understand, but it just seems most of the residents who reside in most of Chicago's popular neighborhoods just refuse to mingle, talk, hang out with people who are a different ethnicity. He got a job in Philly, and was living out in the Delaware Valley and it was completely different. He could go to all white hangouts and feel comfortable. You had people from different backgrounds, talking and mingling. Not just white and black, but Latinos, Asians, etc;. I am not going to go out and call the residents of Chicago racist, but why is it like that? It kind of reminds me like the DC and Baltimore area where at times it feels like it is white vs black, and if you are black you have to start acting and being black, and if you are white the same way goes. That notion that it does not matter if you are an educated black male applies there as well, white folks don't care you are just black.

He stated that maybe it is because of stereotypes, and stories about African Americans they hear in the media. However Philly is going through something similar, yet Caucasians, Asians, Latinos, and blacks still mingle and talk. You can go to a bar in South Philly that is all white and if you are the only black person there, you will still feel comfortable and welcomed compared to probably any bar or club in GC/LP/WP/ or Lake View that is practically all white.

Remember Milton Bradley, MLB baseball player, who just couldn't stand the fans in Chicago. He was a multi-millionare, African-American and I rememeber rumors of him saying all he did was stay home, and the only time he went out was to see him son. He probably only went out once during his tenure and was subjected to racial comments and epithets from fans in Wrigley Field. Remember most people who live in these neighborhoods are suburbanites and transplants from places in other states. Makes you wonder if racism is really deep sided among many Caucasian folks in the Chicago area.
You don't have to be black to feel uncomfortable in Lincoln Park or Lake View. Many white native Chicagoans (even white collar professional people) feel uncomfortable in those areas.

Your whole premise is ludicrous. Keep on race baiting.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:33 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,980,515 times
As an educated black male, I have not had any problems adjusting to Chicago.

Growing up in a middle class family. With professional parents, among other black professional families (i now call it the black mayberry) I've always known what it it's like to be around people that looked like me and talk like me and had the same ideals.

Moving to Charlotte, I somehow found other black professionals to relate to on a social level. (through work and church) Memphis on the other hand was totally different. The middle class blacks and whites where just totally different than any other place I've lived.

When I transfered to Chicago, I was a bit concerned about the segregation and the reputation. The first year I lived in Oak Park. I didn't feel any thing out of the ordinary. It seemed like an upscale, racially mixed area but didn't feel cosmopolitan. Thats ok. Never felt race was an issue. Then I moved to Hyde Park. The area was everything I was looking for. I eventually started mingling with other black entrepreneurs, doctors, teachers and other professionals.

It wasn't until I started going to Lakeview and Lincoln Park that I found whites to have funky attitudes torwards blacks. For those areas to be so popular with so much to offer, they seem to be the most racist I've seen. (they live up to the racist stereo type that non Chicagoans have of this city) I dont have a favorable impression of that area.

Many blacks that grew up in the getto of Chicago dont ever leave and can't relate to other blacks that weren't raised in the getto in Chicago. Just like the whites in lp and lv, they cant get a long with others. They have their own culture and are happy with it.

Though my experiences have been more favorable than the op, I can definatly see where they are coming from. I've had much more in common with other transplants due to me being a transplant than the natives.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:15 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,888,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett View Post
You don't have to be black to feel uncomfortable in Lincoln Park or Lake View. Many white native Chicagoans (even white collar professional people) feel uncomfortable in those areas.

Your whole premise is ludicrous. Keep on race baiting.
It's not race-baiting, Syd. I know what you're talking about in LP and LV, and so it's (edit - NOT!) too hard to imagine how extra-ignored I'd feel if I was also black and also from a different city.

to the OP - you might like this fellow's blog a lot, he's a friend from high school, super smart, super accomplished, he lived in NYC for a long time & is now in Atlanta. he discusses situations like yours from time to time.

My Cast of Characters | Makes Me Wanna Holler.com - Man, Dad, Husband (http://www.makesmewannaholler.com/p/about-me_09.html - broken link)

Last edited by Chi-town Native; 08-15-2011 at 08:41 AM..

Old 08-15-2011, 08:23 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,577,629 times
Quote:
What is your theory on why Chicagoans are opposed to diversity in a way residents of other major American cities are not?

My (erroneous) assumption was that in a city with so many types of people, you'd be able to go somewhere and see them all together in the same place. I ask what your theory is not to be snide, but because I am honestly curious about your thoughts. My long-held assumption was that a city's diversity = integration. I haven't seen the entire country, but I've seen a lot of it, towns big and small, and in my admittedly limited experiences, cities with a lot of diversity tend to have a lot of diverse neighborhoods. Here, this is not the case. You're not just going to go out and encounter a group of people whose members represent more than the tiniest demographic.

One might argue that people aren't comfortable around people who are "different" which is why I can understand segregation in Worley, Idaho. But here? There are enough "different" people around that you should be used to it, and realize that "others" are just like you. What's the problem?

I understand that Chicago has a long history of racial tension, but please tell me that is not still lingering even now. I mean, come on, this isn't Birmingham and it isn't 1961. Please tell me there's a better reason.
It's income, it's all about income.

I just haven't found the bolded to be the case, especially when you get into hyper localized areas like some of Chicago's community areas are. The only areas where you find true diversity are small enclaves around Universities and in urban neighborhoods with social programs designed to help keep lower income residents from being pushed out. This fits nicely with Chicago as well Hyde Park (Uni) and Rogers Park, Edgewater, Uptown (social services).

As for racial tension, it's over played, it's class tension and it's not unique to Chicago. I doubt many people in Lincoln Park would care if a middle/upper class black family moved in next door but if a building on the block went Sec 8, they would flip out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago