Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 02:34 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArea00 View Post
You dont want to associate with the ghetto crowd. why worry about things you cant control?...
I dont mind going to a hood crowd in fact,I just went to a hood party recently.
but I like to go to other places well. the African American scene can get redundant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 02:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
As a Blk guy I think rent control can sometimes hurt race relations.
One thing is it might cause resentment,because other people are getting to
live in your neighborhood at a lower rate then yourself. traits attributed with poverty like being overly aggressive or being rude might start to trickle down
and the white residents might not view it as a class thing but a race thing,even though it has more to do with economics than race. I think maybe only allowing upper income minorities maybe better,because they maybe a more favorable representative to the white majority.
Your concern about rent control hurting race relations is unfounded because it's an equal-opportunity game -- if anything more whites benefit from it than minorities. What you're describing is more akin to the mixed-income housing developments like what Chicago is experimenting with in the post-highrise-projects era, where predominantly minority CHA beneficiaries live side-by-side with mostly white residents who are paying more for the same units. In rent-controlled areas of NYC, whites and minorities who live side-by-side are benefiting equally from rent control.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
As for your final note, I think Chicagoans like it the way it is. People like the idea of diversity but aren't so fond of it in practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted View Post
Why do you think this?
Because it's a lot easier to profess a socially popular belief than it is to put those beliefs to the test. That's why it drives me crazy when people in overwhelmingly white cities like Portland and Seattle and Madison look down their smug noses at places like Chicago and wonder why we haven't resolved the issue of race relations like they have. If those cities were to suddenly adopt a demographic profile similar to Chicago's, I promise they'd promptly stop being so smug on the issue.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:43 PM

136 posts, read 255,805 times
Quote:
Im African American Grew up on the southside of chicago,but went to a private
highschool in the southwest burbs which was 80% white. I dealt with some racism,but nothing major just a handful of people and a few jokes. Highschool
was just a waste time in my opinion,really couldnt hangout with anyone because of how the neighborhoods were set up.

Then I went to a really diverse college,and had lots of fun, there were white parties,blk parties, and mixed crowds all to hangout and everybody accepted
everybody with opem arms, the white kids from the middle of the state were all really cool and not elitist even though I figured they would be more conservative then white kids from the chicagoland. The black,white spanish,etc etc ladies were all freindly. The white kids from the north suburban Chicago area seemed ok,but were kind of elitist not just to BLK kids,but to white kids from smalltowns.
The locals were pretty cool as well,Southern Illinois seemed to be an ok Community.

Now that Im back in Chicago,Im not really feeling the love,all the nice spots
like Lincoln Park Lakeview,and Rush/Division,seem to be for only for young white professionals,yes there are Blacks and Hispanics sprinkled around,but people really arent mingling an associating with each other,and I dont want to hangout at Black establishments all the time,because I am a professional and really wanna limit my exposure to the ghetto crowd. I know with BLK flash mob people are becoming more apprehensive to BLK males,which I understand.

but I just want a diverse social scene with college educated and open minding
professionals,but its not here. Chicago is diverse,but segergated.
Wicker park is ok and hipsters seem pretty reasonable,but Im not really into hipster culture.
Your first mistake is your take on going to black clubs is GHETTO.....get it together , your perpetuating racism yourself, yet you wanna be in a mixed environment........so youre saying because youre educated you have to be in a mixed environment, not an all black one because your a professional not ghetto? wtf?

Old 08-12-2011, 02:48 PM

136 posts, read 255,805 times
What is the deal with people saying something is ghetto......please someone define ghetto.....correct me if im wrong but werent the first ghettos for jews? Why is ghetto used to define black people, that is so wack. Ghetto is not and adjective or adverb its a noun...

Old 08-12-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantanative83 View Post
Your first mistake is your take on going to black clubs is GHETTO.....get it together , your perpetuating racism yourself, yet you wanna be in a mixed environment........so youre saying because youre educated you have to be in a mixed environment, not an all black one because your a professional not ghetto? wtf?
I go to blk clubs,I just dont want to go to them all the time.
I know there are middle class blk non-ghetto clubs,but they are hard to find in
Chicago even the clubs in the south suburbs are gonna have alot of hood dudes.In atlanta they have alot of middleclass BLK clubs to chill at and suburbs.

I like having a wide range of options

Old 08-12-2011, 02:52 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Because it's a lot easier to profess a socially popular belief than it is to put those beliefs to the test. That's why it drives me crazy when people in overwhelmingly white cities like Portland and Seattle and Madison look down their smug noses at places like Chicago and wonder why we haven't resolved the issue of race relations like they have. If those cities were to suddenly adopt a demographic profile similar to Chicago's, I promise they'd promptly stop being so smug on the issue.
Couldn't agree with you more. Probably can include SF in there as well. It's like 6% AA.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
What is the deal with people saying something is ghetto......please someone define ghetto.....correct me if im wrong but werent the first ghettos for jews? Why is ghetto used to define black people, that is so wack. Ghetto is not and adjective or adverb its a noun...
Ive stated that there is middleclass black,working class black
and yes ghetto black. Yes there are ghetto Blacks,see the flash mobs in philly and Chicago. There are ghetto mexicans look at gangs in LA.

There are also redneck ghetto white people in the south and florida
also in parts of the midwest,where people live in trailer parks and shoot meth all day.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:15 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
I/my friends use ghetto to refer to any behavior that is selfish or based on instant gratification and ultimately self-destructive for said person's neighborhood.

The link/lesson is that the original ghettoes were places that the Jews were forced to be.

So it's understandable why they might have had garbage everywhere (not being allowed to remove it), for example.

But in modern society, it's an insult for good reason. Littering, dealing drugs to kids, blasting music (remember "ghetto blasters"?) blah blah blah are things that people do out of their own free will, and which ultimately make their living environment a worse place.

In Chicago the CHA high-rises obviously best exemplified a run-down atmosphere, but you're totally right that a lot of poorer "redneck" areas qualify. For some reason I've never quite gathered, it seems like quite a few of the poorer southern whites actually seem to take pride in this. It's kind of explained by their slavish devotion to the Tea Party and the GOP, which has been screwing them for a century now.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:39 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Im African American Grew up on the southside of chicago,but went to a private
highschool in the southwest burbs which was 80% white. I dealt with some racism,but nothing major just a handful of people and a few jokes. Highschool
was just a waste time in my opinion,really couldnt hangout with anyone because of how the neighborhoods were set up.

Then I went to a really diverse college,and had lots of fun, there were white parties,blk parties, and mixed crowds all to hangout and everybody accepted
everybody with opem arms, the white kids from the middle of the state were all really cool and not elitist even though I figured they would be more conservative then white kids from the chicagoland. The black,white spanish,etc etc ladies were all freindly. The white kids from the north suburban Chicago area seemed ok,but were kind of elitist not just to BLK kids,but to white kids from smalltowns.
The locals were pretty cool as well,Southern Illinois seemed to be an ok Community.

Now that Im back in Chicago,Im not really feeling the love,all the nice spots
like Lincoln Park Lakeview,and Rush/Division,seem to be for only for young white professionals,yes there are Blacks and Hispanics sprinkled around,but people really arent mingling an associating with each other,and I dont want to hangout at Black establishments all the time,because I am a professional and really wanna limit my exposure to the ghetto crowd. I know with BLK flash mob people are becoming more apprehensive to BLK males,which I understand.

but I just want a diverse social scene with college educated and open minding
professionals,but its not here. Chicago is diverse,but segergated.
Wicker park is ok and hipsters seem pretty reasonable,but Im not really into hipster culture.
......Why man? It sucks being college educated?? No it doesn't. It sucks being a black male in Chicago? Naw man no it doesn't. Buy some plane tickets if you can afford them, meet some chicks in other close cities...Idk man...being black & educated should not cause you sadness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago