Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 08:12 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I feel bad for the kids as well, but this is what happens when the adults us the kids as their pawn to financial success, fame, etc or whatever they thought could be achieved by stacking a team against the rules.
Agreed. Using kids to cheat other kids is about as low as it gets. But as I've said I'm not ready to paint the players as total victims here. They are certainly old enough to understand the difference between living in the inner city and living in the burbs.

Not saying they are to blame but I'm also not ready to assume that they are total innocent victims here either. Maybe it was a Danny Almonte story, where he knew but was told to keep quiet by controlling adults. Impossible to say.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:25 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Agreed. Using kids to cheat other kids is about as low as it gets. But as I've said I'm not ready to paint the players as total victims here. They are certainly old enough to understand the difference between living in the inner city and living in the burbs.

Not saying they are to blame but I'm also not ready to assume that they are total innocent victims here either. Maybe it was a Danny Almonte story, where he knew but was told to keep quiet by controlling adults. Impossible to say.
I don't hold the kids at fault at all. They're 10-12 year olds, they're supposed to be able to trust adults to tell them the truth.

Even if the player said "But coach, I live in XYZtown which is in an different league district" and the coach/parent says "Yes, I know, but we checked with LL international and the other districts and they said it's legal for you to play on JRW."
Then that's as far as the responsibility goes for the kid. He should be able to trust the adult is telling the truth and looking out for their best interest. Sadly, that's not the case.

The most unfortunate thing though is what these kids are being taught after the adults got caught. This could have been a really valuable life lesson for them. Unfortunately, it's turned into something else.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:23 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,894 times
Not reading this thread, as I can take an educated guess at most of the comments. This "ruling" is just another notch in the belt of white supremacy. No matter...we all saw who won, and where these kids live doesn't change that. They would've played the same if they lived in Highland Park or Englewood. The whole situation is comical, really. Anyone who says it wasn't racially motivated has his/her head in the sand. But this is America, where racism is a national past time and doesn't exist anymore. I mean, hope and change and all.

These kids did amazing things, got wonderful opportunities and met the first Black president of the USA. This isn't the first time they've tried to erase our history. We'll live with the truth; others will live knowing they were runner up--owned by an all-black team that probably didn't have access to the resources they did. Sucks to be them, knowing we are better. Changing the goal posts doesn't change the truth. The lesson for these boys is this: they will always change the rules in their favor. You can't beat the house even when you beat the house.

Happy Black History Month to all.

Last edited by treemoni; 02-16-2015 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: fat-finger typos

Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Can someone explain to me why taking someone 2 miles outside of a boundary is just as bad as let's say...using a corked bat? Out of the tiers of cheating, this is the absolute lowest level. I know rules are rules, but I hate rules that say "Everyone on the team must be from around here." It's not like they were flying kids in from outside the area and paying them.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
So in other words you are claiming that other teams need to be checked further for cheating but have reason what so ever for those other teams to go through the same scrutiny as the Chicago team? Awesome.
Pre-effing-cisely. All teams should be put under such scrutiny, no? Is that not fair? Or is the microscope only reserved for the all-black team that made history? People who are against scrutinizing the other teams IN THE SAME MANNER that JRW was scrutinized are likely afraid of what will result. We don't need to know the facts to have an inkling that this has happened with other teams. Give me a freaking break. I guess white people always follow the rules. The first Black champions could have ONLY won by breaking the rules, right? Right. I refuse to say "cheat". Cheating is using a player who has aged out. Cheating is pumping these kids with steroids. These kids won fair and square. You saw it; I saw it and God saw it. That's all that matters. We'll leave the others to lick their wounds and figure out why their inferiority complex won't allow them to accept black people being good...BETTER, even, at things that are supposed to be "theirs".

Old 02-16-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
My point was that a lot of black people didn't care whether OJ was innocent or guilty, all they cared is whether he was black.
Wrong. Black people cared that a BLACK PERSON prevailed in a system that is set up for him to fail.

Some of you should find a black friend to teach you these things.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Every time I hear someone say there are no black racists, I want to projectile vomit.
Racism is about power so no, black people cannot be racist because we do not have the power to oppress white people. Black people can be, and are, prejudice (like ALL people). Huge difference.

Give me an example of black people oppressing white people on a large scale and I will deliver a ton of gold to your house.

Your privilege doesnt allow you to understand. I don't blame you, though. Hard to understand what you never have to experience.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:13 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Can someone explain to me why taking someone 2 miles outside of a boundary is just as bad as let's say...using a corked bat? Out of the tiers of cheating, this is the absolute lowest level. I know rules are rules, but I hate rules that say "Everyone on the team must be from around here." It's not like they were flying kids in from outside the area and paying them.
Recruiting outside your boundaries to build a ringer team deprives the leagues you poached from of their top talent and puts the teams you compete with at a disadvantage. You seem sharp enough that it shouldn't have to be explained to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Not reading this thread, as I can take an educated guess at most of the comments. This "ruling" is just another notch in the belt of white supremacy. No matter...we all saw who won, and where these kids live doesn't change that.
Yep, then they got beat by a bunch of little Asian kids.

Last edited by Drover; 02-17-2015 at 12:21 AM..

Old 02-17-2015, 12:31 AM

They sure did. What's your point?

Old 02-17-2015, 05:48 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Not reading this thread, as I can take an educated guess at most of the comments. This "ruling" is just another notch in the belt of white supremacy. No matter...we all saw who won, and where these kids live doesn't change that. They would've played the same if they lived in Highland Park or Englewood. The whole situation is comical, really. Anyone who says it wasn't racially motivated has his/her head in the sand. But this is America, where racism is a national past time and doesn't exist anymore. I mean, hope and change and all.

These kids did amazing things, got wonderful opportunities and met the first Black president of the USA. This isn't the first time they've tried to erase our history. We'll live with the truth; others will live knowing they were runner up--owned by an all-black team that probably didn't have access to the resources they did. Sucks to be them, knowing we are better. Changing the goal posts doesn't change the truth. The lesson for these boys is this: they will always change the rules in their favor. You can't beat the house even when you beat the house.

Happy Black History Month to all.
Oh, you poor victim. I'm so sorry for all the hardships you've endured in life. What can we do to make it better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago