Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:18 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,422,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Herefornow did an excellent job of addressing your absurd and childish challenge. But the primitive misunderstanding of what God wants from us began in the earliest and most savage stages of human existence. Even in Genesis . . . the inanity of this sacrifice nonsense was obvious. Here supposedly all life on earth has been destroyed and the only remnants are with Noah. So what does the idiot do in our species youthful ignorance . . . he sacrifices some of them . . . after being told to let them be fruitful and multiply!! If you are unable to see the stupidity in this . . . you do not think rationally about these things.

Genesis 8:17-21 (King James Version)

17Bring forth with thee every living thing that is with thee, of all flesh, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth; that they may breed abundantly in the earth, and be fruitful, and multiply upon the earth.

18And Noah went forth, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons' wives with him:

19Every beast, every creeping thing, and every fowl, and whatsoever creepeth upon the earth, after their kinds, went forth out of the ark.

20And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

21And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

This is a direct acknowledgment by God that our species was not matured sufficiently to recognize the absurdity of such pointless sacrifices, especially under the conditions. Sacrifices to gods are an ancient and primitive stupidity that characterizes the earliest efforts of humankind to relate to God. It would be pointless to try to disabuse you of this ancient stupidity . . . since you have envinced a tendency to believe in magic and rote adherence to primitive dogma. When you indicate a willingness and ability to actually think for yourself about these issues . . . let me know.
I suspected when I saw Herefornow's post that you would attempt to use it to support your agument. Neither she nor you know what you are talking about. You have further showed your inabilty to understand Scripture. The passages you supplied do not have anything to do with the reason why God instituted animal sacrifices. You have nothing to back up your opinion about the animal sacrifices. You are unable to back up your argument. I however, will within a few days do a thread on the purpose of the animal sacrifices.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:16 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I suspected when I saw Herefornow's post that you would attempt to use it to support your agument. Neither she nor you know what you are talking about. You have further showed your inabilty to understand Scripture. The passages you supplied do not have anything to do with the reason why God instituted animal sacrifices. You have nothing to back up your opinion about the animal sacrifices. You are unable to back up your argument. I however, will within a few days do a thread on the purpose of the animal sacrifices.

Mike! For Pete's sake, man........

Both Mystic and I know what the sacrifices stood for. I grew up Independent Baptist, for crying out loud.

You are missing the point, entirely.

Last edited by herefornow; 09-08-2010 at 10:24 PM..

Old 09-08-2010, 09:41 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,568,524 times
Default Here's more:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Take an ESPECIALLY hard look at Matthew 12:7...................

Hosea 6:6. For I desire mercy (love), not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

Matthew 12:7 If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent.

Mark 12:33. To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."

Isaiah 1:11. "The multitude of your sacrifices--what are they to me?" says the LORD. "I have more than enough of burnt offerings, of rams and the fat of fattened animals; I have no pleasure in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats.
Isaiah 66:1-5 Thus saith the LORD, The earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?(Genesis 3:8)

2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but this man will I look, even to him that is poor and contrite in spirit, and trembleth at my word.

3 He that killeth an ox is as if he slew a man; he that sacrificeth a lamb, as if he cut off a dog's neck; he that offereth an oblation, as if he offered swine's blood; he that burneth incense, as if he blessed an idol. Yea, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations.

4 I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not.

5 Hear the word of the LORD, ye tremble at his word; Your brethren that hated you, that cast you out for my name's sake, said, Let the LORD be glorified: but he shall appear to your joy, and they shall be ashamed.

Peace!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:45 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Great thread....now I have another reason for leaving the grip of organized religion....the hatred and judgemental attitude is MOST revolting as exhibited by some posts.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Great thread....now I have another reason for leaving the grip of organized religion....the hatred and judgemental attitude is MOST revolting as exhibited by some posts.
In my early years...I became a free thinker because of "organized religion". I have watched it destroy my mother's reason and how she became a follower of something that was devoid of love and compassion...so I grew up shunning any doctrine that did not represent love...for in my innate being, somehow I knew that my CREATOR IS LOVE.
In my spiritual journey...I have encountered like minded souls who are also seekers of the "Truth".

Blessings...

Old 09-09-2010, 12:49 AM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Isaiah 66:1-5 Thus saith the LORD, The earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?(Genesis 3:8)

2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but this man will I look, even to him that is poor and contrite in spirit, and trembleth at my word.

3 He that killeth an ox is as if he slew a man; he that sacrificeth a lamb, as if he cut off a dog's neck; he that offereth an oblation, as if he offered swine's blood; he that burneth incense, as if he blessed an idol. Yea, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations.

4 I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not.

5 Hear the word of the LORD, ye tremble at his word; Your brethren that hated you, that cast you out for my name's sake, said, Let the LORD be glorified: but he shall appear to your joy, and they shall be ashamed.

Peace!
Hey! Thanks for those verses, ans57!

This one is especially interesting:

3 He that killeth an ox is as if he slew a man; he that sacrificeth a lamb, as if he cut off a dog's neck;

Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Hey! Thanks for those verses, ans57!

This one is especially interesting:

3 He that killeth an ox is as if he slew a man; he that sacrificeth a lamb, as if he cut off a dog's neck;

Definitely a poser...ain't it?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:37 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post

Peace!
Great verses!! Indeed, if there's one thing that the natural man cannot stand, it's Christ IN man! Put God anywhere, keep Him at a distance, and do whatever kinds of worship you like... but woe to the natural man to learn that God must arise IN him!
Christ in you, the hope of glory. THIS is the mystery hid from ages past, revealed in these last times for us.
God is Love. God is Mercy. God is Righteousness. The Kingdom of God is righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Yet many Christians will not look within themselves! And all they see is darkness, and how great is that darkness!
But when the LIGHT arises IN you, you will have the Witness IN you. God must reveal His SON IN ALL of us!

Blessings to all,
brian

Old 09-09-2010, 12:20 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,488,578 times
Salvation is only Through the Gospel of Jesus Christ which is only found in the Bible.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:39 PM

63,788 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Salvation is only Through the Gospel of Jesus Christ which is only found in the Bible.
The TRUE Gospel of Jesus Christ . . . (good news of the Truth, the Way and the Life) . . . is ONLY found in Jesus Christ the LIVING Word of God! . . . through His Holy Spirit . . . (thanks for the reminder herefornow).

Last edited by MysticPhD; 09-09-2010 at 02:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity