Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 02:36 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Yes, the written word is God's word...
The written word is the Testimony that others had of God. It is NOT your own testimony, for no one can give you what you need from the Spirit of God Himself.
All else leads to confusion, imaginations and idolatry.

What man needs is for God to reveal HIS SON IN THEM. No amount of bible study, seminary or sunday school will substitute this.

Many blessings to you twin,
Brian

Old 09-10-2010, 02:50 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Don't forget this gem!

Pslam 137:9. Blessed is the one who grabs your little children and smashes them against a rock.

(how do we discern what is the WORD??>>>>>>>> The Spirit: Love, joy, peace, patience, meekness.......)

And a thank you goes to pneuma who, in another post, informed us all that Paul turned to the SPIRIT DESPITE the Old Testament, when the veil was ripped off and he could SEE with his spiritual eyes who God really was.

God did give commands to kill all men, women, children, infants and animals on different occasions as punishment for idolatry. For being demon influenced and demon possessed. God told Israel to utterly destroy the Canaanites because if they didn’t they would lead Israel into idolatry and wickedness. The women were just as idolatrous as the men and the children would grow up to be the same.

Deuteronomy 7:2 And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them: 3 Neither shalt thou make marriages with them; thy daughter thou shalt not give unto his son, nor his daughter shalt thou take unto thy son. 4 For they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods: so will the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and destroy thee suddenly.

1 Samuel 15:3 records a command by God to kill all men, women and children.

But that is not what this passage is talking about.

Critics like to use this passage to discredit the Old Testament. They don't understand what it's saying. Psalm 137:9 is not saying that God is going to bless the soldiers who kill the children. Nor is He giving a command here to kill them. It is the wish of the Psalmist who wants the Babylonians to be repayed for what they did to the Jews during the Babylonian captivity. And it is a prophecy of what would happen when Babylon was conquered by the Medes and the Persians in 539 B.C. It is a matter of historical fact.

The prophecy is given in Isaiah 13:17-22 where it foretells in verse 18 of the fact that the Medes and the Persians would not have any pity on the children.

The ancient world could be very barbaric and very cruel things happened in war.

Dashing Little Ones Against Stones | Learn The Bible Talks about Psalms 137:9.

But not just in the ancient world...

You may have heard of the Nanjing Massacre during World War 2, in which Japanese soldiers over a six week period raped and killed thousands, including infants.

Nanking Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia WARNING!!! There are some graphic pictures of victims.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
The written word is the Testimony that others had of God. It is NOT your own testimony, for no one can give you what you need from the Spirit of God Himself.
All else leads to confusion, imaginations and idolatry.

What man needs is for God to reveal HIS SON IN THEM. No amount of bible study, seminary or sunday school will substitute this.

Many blessings to you twin,
Brian
To the contrary. You are as wrong as you can be. It is only through the study of the written word of God that God can come to be known. God the Holy Spirit does NOT teach any believer anything apart from what is contained in the written word. God the Holy Spirit enables the believer to understand the principles and doctrines of the word of God. He does not teach you anything out of thin air. If you do not study the word of God, then the Holy Spirit has nothing with which to work.

If you reject the Bible then you cut yourself off from any possiblity of learning anything about God.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
To the contrary. You are as wrong as you can be. It is only through the study of the written word of God that God can come to be known. God the Holy Spirit does NOT teach any believer anything apart from what is contained in the written word. God the Holy Spirit enables the believer to understand the principles and doctrines of the word of God. He does not teach you anything out of thin air. If you do not study the word of God, then the Holy Spirit has nothing with which to work.

If you reject the Bible then you cut yourself off from any possiblity of learning anything about God.
I do not reject the Bible. You are making false assumptions about me, which I expect from you because you will not listen.
The Scriptures will not set you free. Only the Christ (Anointing) within you can break the yoke.
The 2,000-plus denominations in Christianity are testimony that man cannot understand God without His Spirit.

When God begins to speak to you in your heart, you will know that what I say is true.

Blessings Mike,
brian

Old 09-10-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
I do not reject the Bible. You are making false assumptions about me, which I expect from you because you will not listen.
The Scriptures will not set you free. Only the Christ (Anointing) within you can break the yoke.
The 2,000-plus denominations in Christianity are testimony that man cannot understand God without His Spirit.

When God begins to speak to you in your heart, you will know that what I say is true.

Blessings Mike,
brian
You can't even seem to comprehend what I say. Much less what the Scriptures say. No one said that man can understand God without the Holy Spirit, who Himself is God.

What did I just get through saying on the last post? I said that the Holy Spirit enables the believer to understand Bible doctrine. The Holy Spirit does not guide the believer apart from the content of Bible doctrine his soul.

And if you think that either Jesus Christ or the Holy Spirit indwell any unbeliever you are mistaken. And the fact that you are a universalist means that you do reject the Bible.

The nonsense that you continually post on this forum is typical of the universalist.

The truth shall set you free. And the word of God, the Scriptures, are the truth

Old 09-10-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
You can't even seem to comprehend what I say. Much less what the Scriptures say. No one said that man can understand God without the Holy Spirit, who Himself is God.

What did I just get through saying on the last post? I said that the Holy Spirit enables the believer to understand Bible doctrine. The Holy Spirit does not guide the believer apart from the content of Bible doctrine his soul.

And if you think that either Jesus Christ or the Holy Spirit indwell any unbeliever you are mistaken. And the fact that you are a universalist means that you do reject the Bible.

The nonsense that you continually post on this forum is typical of the universalist.

The truth shall set you free. And the word of God, the Scriptures, are the truth
I agree with you, the Holy Spirit must teach man. Even "out of thin air," since it is God who has created all things, and He is alive, and speaks to man. The scriptures will either confirm or reject what has been revealed.

I do believe that the Seed of the Woman, which seed is Christ, is indeed in every man. It is God Himself who reveals the Son in His own time.

I do not reject the Bible. I understand the famous "hellfire/brimstone" verses in another way than you do, I do not reject them.

Blessings,
brian

Old 09-10-2010, 05:23 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
In my early years...I became a free thinker because of "organized religion". I have watched it destroy my mother's reason and how she became a follower of something that was devoid of love and compassion...so I grew up shunning any doctrine that did not represent love...for in my innate being, somehow I knew that my CREATOR IS LOVE.
In my spiritual journey...I have encountered like minded souls who are also seekers of the "Truth".

Blessings...
Me too.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:37 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Me too.
I would like to share the following verses with you Heartsong:

Psalm 91:9-12 ~The Shadow of the Almighty~
Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most high, thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Blessings my friend...

Old 09-10-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I agree with you, the Holy Spirit must teach man. Even "out of thin air," since it is God who has created all things, and He is alive, and speaks to man. The scriptures will either confirm or reject what has been revealed.

I do believe that the Seed of the Woman, which seed is Christ, is indeed in every man. It is God Himself who reveals the Son in His own time.

I do not reject the Bible. I understand the famous "hellfire/brimstone" verses in another way than you do, I do not reject them.

Blessings,
brian
You have just said that you believe that Jesus is in every man to include the unbeliever. And you think that the Holy Spirit will teach out of thin air. He does not. Nor does the Bible teach universalism. By believing these things you do not believe the Bible You have rejected what the Bible says in favor of your own unscriptural beliefs.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
You have just said that you believe that Jesus is in every man to include the unbeliever. And you think that the Holy Spirit will teach out of thin air. He does not. Nor does the Bible teach universalism. By believing these things you do not believe the Bible You have rejected what the Bible says in favor of your own unscriptural beliefs.
I base all that I believe on Scripture. I do not believe that anyone can understand anything of Scripture without the Holy Ghost giving some level of revelation.
God is love. The Seed of the woman will bruise the serpent's head. That seed or Word is in the heart of all mankind. God must reveal the Seed to man individually, through experience. Simply learning the Bible by rote is shaky ground, not the Rock Himself.

Many people today will confess that Jesus Christ came in the flesh 2,000 years ago. But that does not mean that they have the Witness in themselves.
Only those who are seeing that Christ IS come in the flesh are of God.

The Bible does teach universalism by its very nature. If God's own creation is to be lost, then He suffers disgrace. But if He saves His own creatures, then there is reason to give Him glory.

Blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity