Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 03:50 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,950,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The Bible says: The Earth is flat!

Look at the references to all of those Bible verses that assert that the Earth is flat and has four corners! Can we really believe this? How is this supposed to be interpreted?
I am not sure what criteria would have ever suggested the bible was intended to be a scientific reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 03:54 PM

512 posts, read 1,435,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I am not sure what criteria would have ever suggested the bible was intended to be a scientific reference.
it should have never been any kind of "reference" starting from maybe 1900 years ago!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:58 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,950,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
it should have never been any kind of "reference" starting from maybe 1900 years ago!

Oh, I am sure your logic won't hold up on that one, give it a whirl.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:12 PM

701 posts, read 800,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell your point is!
My point is that the distinction between the two only has relevance on a spherical earth, if the earth was a simply a 2d circle, then n/s/e/w would have all had the same directional properties. E/W would not have stood out as distinct, and that is the reason I believe e/w was used in that particular passage.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:42 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,744 times
Default The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Baloney (AKA: Bologna ). Both are protected speech. Sounds like the average Christian persecution complex to me. 1000s of times more gospel preaching goes on in America everyday than Islam preaching.
Hi 1st Born...recently in Dearborn, Michigan there was an Islamic Fair held there, and some young woman who was freed from the bondage of islam was there with her friends videotaping them while they passed out booklets of The Gospel According to John. The police arrived and accosted her confiscating her camcorder telling her criminal mischief charges were being pressed against her for instigating a riot. They took her to jail for her refusal to cooperate with their illegal abuse of her "protected free speech." Apparently it's for muslims to pass out islamic tracts to Christians in the parking lot prior to entering a church building, but it's not for Christians to preach the truth to muslims at an islamic (AKA: Nazi) fair. The charges were dropped, and her camcorder was returned undamaged which recorded no riot or an instigation of one. "...a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump." Galatians 5:9. The Blessings of The Eternal One cure you of your indifference...or perhaps it's just that good old Texas haze...

Old 09-13-2010, 09:47 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,744 times
Default The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Depends on what you mean.

The Bible is concerned with God's relationship to humanity, and it is oftentimes written in very poetic, metaphoric language. It is not meant as a scientfiic treatise on anything. To use the Bible to "prove" the original of species or the wavelength of ultraviolet light or the chemical composition of the soil on Mars is to misuse the Bible. Those issues are not its concern.
Hi Mark...to misuse God's written word as a launchpad for denial of His Truth is meant as a scientific treatise on everything apart from God who created you. The Blessings of The Eternal One make you like Christ...

Old 09-13-2010, 10:15 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Hi 1st Born...recently in Dearborn, Michigan there was an Islamic Fair held there, and some young woman who was freed from the bondage of islam was there with her friends videotaping them while they passed out booklets of The Gospel According to John. The police arrived and accosted her confiscating her camcorder telling her criminal mischief charges were being pressed against her for instigating a riot. They took her to jail for her refusal to cooperate with their illegal abuse of her "protected free speech." Apparently it's for muslims to pass out islamic tracts to Christians in the parking lot prior to entering a church building, but it's not for Christians to preach the truth to muslims at an islamic (AKA: Nazi) fair. The charges were dropped, and her camcorder was returned undamaged which recorded no riot or an instigation of one. "...a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump." Galatians 5:9. The Blessings of The Eternal One cure you of your indifference...or perhaps it's just that good old Texas haze...
Well, I don't know quite what this has to do with the OP - but I have a feeling that they would have arrested a Muslim who did the same thing at a Christian Fair.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:19 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
My point is that the distinction between the two only has relevance on a spherical earth, if the earth was a simply a 2d circle, then n/s/e/w would have all had the same directional properties. E/W would not have stood out as distinct, and that is the reason I believe e/w was used in that particular passage.
You can interpret anything in the Bible in many different ways to fit a variety of different view points. But what does it matter? So what if the Bible says the world was flat. Would that shake your faith? People are so gung ho about trying to deny any contradictions in the Bible or to prove that it is 100% correct about everything and should be taken literally. I think, if you really have faith - it shouldn't matter. It's the message - it's the faith, it's the ideas that are important. Then again, I'm not a believer so it really doesn't affect me at all.
I also feel that you are reading a lot into that one little passage and creating meanings to fit your agenda. But that's just me.
Carry on.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You can interpret anything in the Bible in many different ways to fit a variety of different view points. But what does it matter? So what if the Bible says the world was flat. Would that shake your faith? People are so gung ho about trying to deny any contradictions in the Bible or to prove that it is 100% correct about everything and should be taken literally. I think, if you really have faith - it shouldn't matter. It's the message - it's the faith, it's the ideas that are important. Then again, I'm not a believer so it really doesn't affect me at all.
I also feel that you are reading a lot into that one little passage and creating meanings to fit your agenda. But that's just me.
Carry on.
"PRIDE"...

Old 09-13-2010, 10:45 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,458,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Look at the references to all of those Bible verses that assert that the Earth is flat and has four corners! Can we really believe this? How is this supposed to be interpreted?
The Bible says the earth is a "tebel", Hebrew word for "globe", in the original, which is translated "world", in English.

The Bible says the heavens are stretched out from the earth, between the divided waters of earth, on day 2.
The Bible says there was no heaven when "light" was called "to be", on day 1, establishing a 24 hour day of evening and morning.

The Bible says the sun, moon and stars were not made and set in the heavens stretched out from the earth, between the divided waters, until day 4.

The Bible says the sun travels in its ordained course, in the heavens, from one end [extreme] of heaven to the other end/extreme, revolving/turning about, and coming again, ceaselessly.

The Bible says the earth, which is a globe/tebel, is fixed in its place and does not move, and is upheld by the "pillars" which are forces called "winds", which forces also uphold the stretched out heavens, and which stretched out heavens revolve around the earth every 24 hour day, and in which stretched out heavens the sun and moon travel on their path/highways/courses within the stretched out heavens, revolving around the earth which is fixed in its place and does not move.

The Bible says the sun rises and sets, since day 4, when it was made and set in the stretched out heavens, in its revolving/turning about again course, continuosly rising and setting, never resting, and commanding/ruling/governing the light/Day, which was called into being on day 1, before the heavens were stretched out between the divided waters of the created "globe", on day 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity