Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:38 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
Dude!!!! what are you taaaaaalking about????
Beats me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Wow! Really!? You cannot travel NORTH indefinitely! If you eventually get to the northern most spot on earth any step you take in any direction would be heading south. I never said you could not continue to travel, but you couldn't go north any more. However I could go east clear around the globe and never reach a point at which I could no longer travel east.
Going east or west is exactly the same as going north or south. When you reach the most northern point you start to go south. When you reach the most eastern point you start going west. What am I missing here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 02:40 AM

701 posts, read 800,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Beats me!!

Going east or west is exactly the same as going north or south. When you reach the most northern point you start to go south. When you reach the most eastern point you start going west. What am I missing here??
Wow! Might I suggest you get yourself a globe. When you do, put your finger on the equator and move it east untill you reach a point where you can't go east, once you stop at that spot, please right down that longitude and forward it to every scientific journal on the planet. I will break it down for you one more time so you don't have to spend your money on that globe. E/W is like the second hand on a clock, it will always spin clockwise, regardless of how many times it ticks back to twelve, it can theoretically spin clockwise forever. At no point will it ever reach a time where it has to spin counterclockwise (imagining a clock not dealing with any time zone changes or daylight savings time of course).

Old 09-14-2010, 03:24 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,973,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
Isaiah 40:22It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Seems the Bible also says that the earth is round.

So what's the story? The four corners of the earth is obviously alluding to the readers in how they look at the map of the world.

The early Hebrew did not have a word for globe or sphere. So they used the wording that came closest.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Wow! Might I suggest you get yourself a globe. When you do, put your finger on the equator and move it east untill you reach a point where you can't go east, once you stop at that spot, please right down that longitude and forward it to every scientific journal on the planet. I will break it down for you one more time so you don't have to spend your money on that globe. E/W is like the second hand on a clock, it will always spin clockwise, regardless of how many times it ticks back to twelve, it can theoretically spin clockwise forever. At no point will it ever reach a time where it has to spin counterclockwise (imagining a clock not dealing with any time zone changes or daylight savings time of course).
What you said was that if you walked around the equator in an easterly direction you would always be moving eastward. That is absolute balderdash.. Let us imagine that London is our starting point. On the west side of the globe is USA and on the east side is Russia. I start waking toward Russia in an easterly direction. I pass Russia which is the furthest point east I can go. I now start my travel from Russia to the USA. Am I now travelling eastward to USA or westward?

Is there anyone that understands what HN is talking about and can explain it?? As I see it, it is exactly the same as as going from south to north. When you get to your northernmost point and keep going you start to travel south. If you get to your easternmost point and keep going, you start going west.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:25 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Is there anyone that understands what HN is talking about and can explain it?? As I see it, it is exactly the same as as going from south to north. When you get to your northernmost point and keep going you start to travel south. If you get to your easternmost point and keep going, you start going west.
Sorry, 'fraid they're right.

You can go east or west forever. If you're on the east coast of Russia and head across the Pacific towards the United States, you are moving in an easterly direction towards the western world.

This does not mean you're heading west, rather than you're heading east towards the region of the world known as the West. I would suppose if there is any 'easternmost' part of the world, it would be the international dateline, which would also be the westernmost part of the world. But simply crossing that line doesn't mean that you're heading 180deg in the opposite direction.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Now my head is gone!!

Old 09-14-2010, 11:37 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Now my head is gone!!

Okay, let me put it this way...if you're on the east coast of Russia, and you travel across the Pacific ocean towards the United States, are you heading towards the sunrise or are you going towards the sunset?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:39 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
I understand what HalfNelson is saying about travelling east or west. However - I think it is a wee bit of a stretch to get that from this passage!

Psalm 103:12 (New International Version)

12 as far as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us.

It doesn't say anything about travelling east or west - it says as far as the east is from the west. That implies two fixed points or areas - not travelling directions. Then again - like I said, you can interpret any passage any way that you want in order to prove any point that you might be trying to make.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Okay, let me put it this way...if you're on the east coast of Russia, and you travel across the Pacific ocean towards the United States, are you heading towards the sunrise or are you going towards the sunset?
Sunset...west.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:58 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
If you start going east at the equator and you walk around the world - the compass is always going to say you are going East. That is what they mean. You will always be heading east - even when you are in the west. The direction that you are walking will always be east. However - I don't think that the passage that he is referring to has anything at all to do with this. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity