Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:48 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Are you serious? I do not mean to be disrespectful to anyone.

And of course this thread is about debating whether hell exists or not. Or maybe you didn't realize that is the topic! Verna is saying that hell (meaning a place of endless eternal torment) does not exist. She says people are annihilated out of existence. This view at least shows that God is merciful.

So how would I be off-topic by giving scripture that shows sheol (sometimes translated as "hell") does not describe a place of endless torment?

It seems you are grasping at something... I don't know what. I'm sorry if I offended you CantWait2Leave. Just read the scriptures. Maybe you will see it one day.
So you believe in annihilation? If not, than I don't see how you are on topic. She said no UR theology.

No, you didn't offend me at all.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:59 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,980,170 times
So we are just supposed to talk about whether there is conscious torment or annihilation? There can't possibly be a third option and damned be the ones who bring up a third? Is that how the game is played?

Old 09-29-2010, 02:14 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
So we are just supposed to talk about whether there is conscious torment or annihilation? There can't possibly be a third option and damned be the ones who bring up a third? Is that how the game is played?
Correct

Old 09-29-2010, 02:15 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,133,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
So you believe in annihilation? If not, than I don't see how you are on topic. She said no UR theology.

No, you didn't offend me at all.

So if I don't believe in annihilation I'm not allowed to respond? Are you trying to bait me or something? Its like you are on the attack instead of trying to have a discussion.

If you are referring to my post about sheol as "UR theology", perhaps you should read Verna's article. (Did you read Verna's article?) This is what it says about sheol:

Regarding sheol, our study of the word in chapter 5 shows that none of the texts supports the view of sheol as the place of punishment for the ungodly. The word denotes the realm of the dead where there is unconsciousness, inactivity, and sleep.
(emphasis mine)

And I completely agree with this. You as a believer in eternal torment would probably not, so instead of trying to address the point you say I am off topic. Can you address this point? Sheol is not talking about a place of torment. That is the scriptural truth.

Anyway, the main problem I have with annihilation, and I pointed this out in my other post, is that Jesus cannot have complete victory over death if some are still dead. I haven't ever seen how the annihilation belief addresses this point. Annihilation leaves billions in eternal death. That seems like a giant victory for death. Maybe Verna can address this.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
NOTE:
...and to any who come here to do nothing more than post an opinion without even reading the study I provided...please, do us all a favor and refrain from doing so. I would like an intelligent conversation ABOUT this study with members who care enough to READ this study.

Mods...please deleat replies that do not discuss the study I provided. Thank you.
Another words, you are saying, here is my opinion, I don't want to hear your opinion, even asking the mods to be your minion's and censor opinions not in line with yours! A bit closed minded don't ya think, and quite arrogant.

As for study, the study of a fable might amuse some, but it clearly accomplishes nothing, save perhaps to cut even more threads that connect the student to reality.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:41 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,664,170 times
Quote:
...Anyway, the main problem I have with annihilation, and I pointed this out in my other post, is that Jesus cannot have complete victory over death if some are still dead. I haven't ever seen how the annihilation belief addresses this point. Annihilation leaves billions in eternal death. That seems like a giant victory for death. Maybe Verna can address this.
Respectfully, it has been addressed to the point of nausea legoman.

Jesus' death on the cross DID! COMPLETELY! have victory over death...HOWEVER!...His gift MUST! be received...one MUST! C-O-M-E!...SEEK!...KNOCK!...walk as Jesus walked!...be ye holy as I am holy He said!...unfortunately...the way to death is a wide path...and there will be many who go this way...but very narrow is the path to righteousness...and VERY FEW! there will be that find it.

BUT the problem is you and those who believe as you do reject this truth...and I am sick to death of arguing with you all about it.

In Christ's love...and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:59 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,133,088 times
Quote:
Respectfully, it has been addressed to the point of nausea legoman.

Jesus' death on the cross DID! COMPLETELY! have victory over death...HOWEVER!...His gift MUST! be received...one MUST! C-O-M-E!...SEEK!...KNOCK!...walk as Jesus walked!...be ye holy as I am holy He said!...unfortunately...the way to death is a wide path...and there will be many who go this way...but very narrow is the path to righteousness...and VERY FEW! there will be that find it.

BUT the problem is you and those who believe as you do reject this truth...and I am sick to death of arguing with you all about it.

In Christ's love...and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.

Verna, I understand you are saying people must come to Christ. I get that.

But it is plain contradiction and absurdity to say that Christ defeats death - all death - to the point that death has no victory; but then all the while admit death claims billions of people who are annihilated forever. That is doublespeak. That is saying death loses but death wins. Its meaningless contradiction and plainly illogical. Its a square circle.

That is why it is discussed what you think is to the point of nausea. Your position does not make sense.

If what you are saying was true, then death does have victory. You are saying death has victory over those who do not receive Christ. Therefore you cannot say death has no victory. Therefore your position is NOT SUPPORTABLE BY SCRIPTURE.

Death will have no victory Verna. Do you believe it?

Old 09-29-2010, 04:17 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,664,170 times
Quote:
Verna, I understand you are saying people must come to Christ. I get that.

But it is plain contradiction and absurdity to say that Christ defeats death - all death - to the point that death has no victory; but then all the while admit death claims billions of people who are annihilated forever. That is doublespeak. That is saying death loses but death wins. Its meaningless contradiction and plainly illogical. Its a square circle.

That is why it is discussed what you think is to the point of nausea. Your position does not make sense.

If what you are saying was true, then death does have victory. You are saying death has victory over those who do not receive Christ. Therefore you cannot say death has no victory. Therefore your position is NOT SUPPORTABLE BY SCRIPTURE.

Death will have no victory Verna. Do you believe it?
Death will have no victory over the child of God. It will have victory over the child of the devil. I believe that.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Death will have no victory over the child of God. It will have victory over the child of the devil. I believe that.
The devil had babies?

Old 09-29-2010, 04:23 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
The devil had babies?
You have patience worthy of a saint...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity