Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 08:20 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Sounds just a little more merciful than frying eternally . How on earth did we paint such a picture of Him,and believe it without batting an eye lid,and remain shocked beyond imagination with the atrocities of Hitler and the like.

I keep saying it,but i am glad we are not living in the dark ages, and the justice system of the world is a much fairer one than that of fundamental christianity because we'd be toast.
You never know ... The right charismatic fundamentalist neocon running for presidency, and you could see a repeat of the whole Nazi Germany scenario.

But i put my faith in God, and trust in his will as much as i can. I have to believe that all the tragedy and destruction in this mad world has a reason and purpose for existing, and that God is in control and working all things out for the better ...

Old 10-31-2010, 08:31 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
You never know ... The right charismatic fundamentalist neocon running for presidency, and you could see a repeat of the whole Nazi Germany scenario.

But i put my faith in God, and trust in his will as much as i can. I have to believe that all the tragedy and destruction in this mad world has a reason and purpose for existing, and that God is in control and working all things out for the better ...
I agree

Old 10-31-2010, 09:15 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
Human terms tend to establish time constraints on every thing.
God is not limited to any of those things, has never been in a hurry , and you can't hurry Him either.
Every person is going to be examined both by Him and all of man as well.
Your name will come up, and before all humanity, the question will be asked "Are there any complaints against thins person ? Since God deals in truth and no lie or excuse can be fabricated to fool him or twist the truth; and a determination will be made concerning you. If no defence exists on your behalf you are consigned to the appropreate punishment .
This included christians as well , no one is exempt from this examination. Christians will be under another examination as well. This one is a determination of one's obedience to God on a personal level . If that does not exist, their clame as a christian is a lie, and, all liars are consigned to hell (Revelations)This includes false teachers and false prophets as well.
False teachers include any one speaking with out the express instruction of the Holy Spirit.
Jesus said we are accountable for every word that we speak even idle conversation. Even I will be examined as well, even in this communication, whether it be of my own, or by direction.
If one does not take seriously those things Jesus taught ,they disobey God . Matthew 17;5,

Old 10-31-2010, 10:15 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
God is not limited to any of those things, has never been in a hurry , and you can't hurry Him either.
Your name will come up, and before all humanity, the question will be asked "Are there any complaints against thins person ? Since God deals in truth and no lie or excuse can be fabricated to fool him or twist the truth; and a determination will be made concerning you. If no defence exists on your behalf you are consigned to the appropreate punishment .
This included christians as well , no one is exempt from this examination. Christians will be under another examination as well. This one is a determination of one's obedience to God on a personal level . If that does not exist, their clame as a christian is a lie, and, all liars are consigned to hell (Revelations)This includes false teachers and false prophets as well.
False teachers include any one speaking with out the express instruction of the Holy Spirit.
Jesus said we are accountable for every word that we speak even idle conversation. Even I will be examined as well, even in this communication, whether it be of my own, or by direction.
If one does not take seriously those things Jesus taught ,they disobey God . Matthew 17;5,
Hell is a pagan myth ...

Old 10-31-2010, 11:13 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
Hell is a pagan myth ...
... based on tradition without any determinable basis of fact, rather, it is produced or set forth by the fictitious nature of the imagination.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:47 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
A ministry of fear upon yourself is what i am reading here . To be so introspective is enough to destroy anyone , because at the end of the day flesh will always be flesh and if that is your focus , you don't need God to condemn you , you will be doing a good job of condemning yourself. A dose of knowledge of what we are in Christ is what i would prescribe to you friend.

That the communication of your faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus.Philemon1:6

Old 11-01-2010, 08:00 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
I have posted similar comments many times only to be accused of being a paranoid atheist. Bush 43 is a vivid reminder of how a fool, but professing that he is 'born again' can rise to power, and he was about as charismatic as a rabid Chihuahua.

Quote:
Sadly this half of your post is wrong, to believe that god is in control is dangerous, reckless, and a fallacy. Men are in control, men with agendas, prejudices, and the delusion they are doing their gods bidding. Granted, men will always have agendas and prejudices, but when given the disguise of religion the danger rises exponentially.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:53 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,408,708 times
Lightbulb How about considering a third option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Do impenitent sinners suffer conscious punishment in body and soul for all eternity, or are they annihilated by God in the second death after suffering a temporary punishment?
How about considering a third option Verna?

In the introduction to his exposition on why he changed from believing that the Bible teaches annihilation to believing that the Bible teaches universal salvation, Gary Amirault wrote

"When it comes to the final destination of the wicked, or unrighteous, Christians over the past two millenniums have divided themselves into three beliefs: 1. Eternal Torment, 2. Eternal Death (Annihilationism), and
3. Salvation of the whole world through Jesus Christ. Each of these views can be supported with Scriptures.

Having been in all three groups, I know that there are sincere Bible centered believers in all of them.

Obviously, all three cannot be true. Two of them have to be false."

(end of quote)

As one who is already a UR, I found it to be a very convincing exposition.
I'm not sure what affect it will have on ANs

To any annihilationists on this thread, why not check it out and let us know?
Eternal Death (Conditional Mortality, Annihilation): One Step Out of Hell; One Step Short of Glory

Old 11-01-2010, 11:56 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,133,088 times
AN and UR have some commonality, its just a matter of interpretation...

Take a statement like "the wicked will be destroyed".

AN sees that as the wicked people being annihilated. However... we are all wicked in our own ways... are we all going to be annihilated?

The UR viewpoint sees it as the wickedness will be destroyed out of us... we will be changed, made to be no longer wicked... therefore the wicked will truly be destroyed - there will be no longer any wicked when all wickedness is removed.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:08 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,408,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
AN and UR have some commonality, its just a matter of interpretation...

Take a statement like "the wicked will be destroyed".

AN sees that as the wicked people being annihilated. However... we are all wicked in our own ways... are we all going to be annihilated?

The UR viewpoint sees it as the wickedness will be destroyed out of us... we will be changed, made to be no longer wicked... therefore the wicked will truly be destroyed - there will be no longer any wicked when all wickedness is removed.
legoman, I also found Southwood Smith's article enlightening on the subject.

Is the Doctrine of Limited Punishment, Terminated by Destruction True?
The Doctrine of Limited Punishment, Terminated by Destruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity