Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Dewdrop93,
Once again, it's not me you are having the problem with. Jesus once had this exchange with those who opposed him and they didn't take to kindly to it. By the time Jesus was done with this, they tried to murder him. There is no reason to oppose God, but oppose him enough times and God does make it impossible for faith to enter. Please don't be that person.

\\\ The conflict exchange //////
John 8:41
You are doing the things your own father does." "We are not illegitimate children," they protested. "The only Father we have is God himself."

John 8:42-43
[ The Children of the Devil ] Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say.

John 8:44
You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire.

John 8:47
He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God."
I'm not having a problem with anyone. I don't know why you think that I do - most people on here can tell that I'm a very happy person! The fact that you believe me to be a literal child of the devil explains a lot to me. I don't have a problem with anyone since I know that I am in fact not a child of the devil. You are free to see me any way that you please. It does not bother me.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:06 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,465,057 times
Annihilation.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:16 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm not having a problem with anyone. I don't know why you think that I do - most people on here can tell that I'm a very happy person! The fact that you believe me to be a literal child of the devil explains a lot to me. I don't have a problem with anyone since I know that I am in fact not a child of the devil. You are free to see me any way that you please. It does not bother me.

All I did was quote God's Word ... the Bible.

John 8:42-47
[ The Children of the Devil ] Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God."

Romans 9:8
In other words, it is not the natural children who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:51 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:

[ The Children of the Devil ] Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God."

In other words, it is not the natural children who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring.
I think I'm going to exit this conversation. Have a nice night!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
Even though a person had the answers for every thing, it is unlikely many would listen.
the difficulty is perspective and perception.
If you were a mechanic and we were talking machinery we would have common ground to relate to, busting you knuckles would actually mean something you would relate to.
When we sit here speculating about eternity, and argue all the opinions of others that have had some kind of revelation, we do not often see things the way the author is febely portraying it .
Set aside all this if you can, and ponder why do these teaching exist. It is not because some one does not care, because if they did not care nothing would be said at all.
Some one tells you being out in the sun with out protection can cause skin cancer, but you don't know any one personally that has endured this, so you don' take it seriously. You may actually believe it because of media and advertisment but still you do nothing your self to protect your self .
Let me share something .
I was raised in church spent a great deal of my life serving God , but aI had tot come to a place where I had to examine WHY.
I was brought up in an environment of knowing God's healing and intervention while others I know did not have the advantage I enjoy. I had come to the point in my life that realized the choice remain in me to obey or disobey all along and still does , but because obedience to God's influence always paid off in the long run and doing my own thing does not, for me it is no contest.
But for some one alien to this environment , no trust has ever been established to render any hope in that direction, and Looking from the human perspective of doing one's own thing and taking full advantage of all the pleasures life has to offer seems more apppealing than a dicipline that might not render anything in the end . So being manipulated by the idea of a hell is not sufficient reason to change your mind now.
The question is , what would you have to loose ,by taking a chance at faith toward God ? I'm not saying joining a church . By the way you can visit a church all you want , you don't have to give them anything for it ,as a matter of fact it is better that you don't give them anything at all, at any man's request.
For that matter , you could sit at home and merely read the things Jesus taught, and seek out God in your own heart to reveal something to you . God rewards those that honestly and ernistly seek Him . Remember those criteria, they are often forgotten by believers and ,they fall away into temptation taking God for granted ,by their own accomplishments. very dangerous ground.
If you allow God to heal your perspective, you will be further ahead than many religious folk that only have a intellectual idea of What God is about.
Jesus Did provide the Holy Spirit to teach in His place, most religious teacher ignore this ,prefiring their own brand of theology, but the ony acces to the Holy spirit is in devotion to Jesus and the things He taught and an honest ernest prayer life.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:22 PM

63,834 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:

10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
This is the post of one sick soul . . . to accuse another human being of being a child of the devil having no knowledge of that person whatsoever. Perhaps you should read what you post TS. Nothing in her posts indicate she "doeth not righteousness" nor that she " loveth not her brother." What sick twisted mind would attribute such crap to a perfect stranger. The moronic belief in the specialness of only SOME of God's creations is so perfectly human and psychologically twisted. God forgive you all for your pride and boastful attitudes. The "refinement" is apt to be quite harsh.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:54 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,196,375 times
Quote:
Dewdrop93,
Once again, it's not me you are having the problem with. Jesus once had this exchange with those who opposed him and they didn't take to kindly to it. By the time Jesus was done with this, they tried to murder him. There is no reason to oppose God, but oppose him enough times and God does make it impossible for faith to enter. Please don't be that person.

\\\ The conflict exchange //////
John 8:41
You are doing the things your own father does." "We are not illegitimate children," they protested. "The only Father we have is God himself."

John 8:42-43
[ The Children of the Devil ] Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say.

John 8:44

You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire.

John 8:47
He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God."
The very scriptures you posted were directed at the religious leaders of Jesus' day, and I can guarantee you he would direct them at the religious leaders of Christianity 2000 years later.

L. Ray Smith - You Fools! You Hypocrites! You Snakes!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:34 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:

Understand the configuration of personal pronouns, and the use of verbs, especially when you analyze a verse in order to identify or determine the tense, voice, mood, person, and/or number of that which is, was or will be, as in: I, we, us; you, him, them; he, she, and they. Which is describing the action, the aspect of the action or kind of action, also the quality of the verb that defines the relationship of the subject to the action itself, and the reality of it from the advantage point of the speaker to that of what is actually being said within the sentence, or verse.

An example to consider:

In the singular, "You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father for He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

In the plural, "You are of your fathers, the accusers, and you want to do the desires of your fathers for they were murderers from the beginning, and they did not stand in the truth because there was no truth in them. Whenever, they spoke a lie, they spoke from their own nature, for they were liars and the father of lies.

Previously in the conversation:

They answered and said to Him, "Abraham is our father."
Jesus said to them, "If you are Abraham's children, do the deeds of Abraham. But as it is, you are seeking to kill me, a man who has told you the truth, which I heard from God; this Abraham did not do. You are doing the deeds of your father."

They said to Him, "We were not born of fornication; we have one Father: God."

Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on my own initiative, but He sent me."

So, was he addressing them in the plural as in you, and your fathers?
The devil, you say?

Old 10-30-2010, 02:50 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,663,356 times
THE ETERNAL TORMENT SYNDROME

Over the years I have seen a phenomenon which I call the Eternal
Torment Syndrome.

Many people who have been taught and accepted the idea of
eternal torment in hell for all who are not "saved" are victims of
Modern Christian teaching. Imagine a mother who believes her
children will be writhing in torment a million years from now. Since
she cannot bear the thought she tries to find something which will
lower the threshold of salvation to the point that her children who
continue to commit sin will be delivered from hell.

The result is the modern Christian doctrines which eliminate the necessity of obedience to the ten commandments. Some have the threshold of salvation so low that if someone says they believe in Jesus they are not only saved but cannot be lost - even if they were to later reject Christ completely...

...please, read further...

THE ETERNAL TORMENT SYNDROME

In Christ's love...and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 10-30-2010 at 04:19 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 10:10 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Heaven is the complete opposite of hell.
NOWHERE in the Bible does it say or even imply that heaven is the "complete opposite" of hell. This is a man-made "opinion", not a scripture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity