Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 04:26 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
And that it is.....

A universe in the sense of the above.

As well....your issue is you are moving the word away from its definition, and applying it materially....when it is not.

Everything i said is a direct quote from the Strongs.

Now if you like you can post your sources and we can compare them, we can use the thayers, vines ... What ever you want.

Quote:
KOSMOS

Adorn, Adorning:
"a harmonious arrangement or order," then, "adornment, decoration," came to denote "the world, or the universe, as that which is Divinely arranged." The meaning "adorning" is found in 1Pe 3:3. Elsewhere it signifies "the world." Cp. kosmios, decent, modest, 1Ti 2:9; 3:2.
See WORLD.

[View Entry in Its Context]

1 Strong's Number: g2889 Greek: kosmos
World:
primarily "order, arrangement, ornament, adornment" (1Pe 3:3, see ADORN, B), is used to denote (a) the "earth," e.g., Matt. 13;35; Jhn 21:25; Act 17:24; Rom 1:20 (probably here the universe: it had this meaning among the Greeks, owing to the order observable in it); 1Ti 6:7; Hbr 4:3; 9:26;
(b) the "earth" in contrast with Heaven, 1Jo 3:17 (perhaps also Rom 4:13);
(c) by metonymy, the "human race, mankind," e.g., Mat 5:14; Jhn 1:9 [here "that cometh (RV, 'coming') into the world" is said of Christ, not of "every man;" by His coming into the world He was the light for all men]; Jhn 3:10; 3:16, 17 (thrice), Jhn 3:19; 4:42, and frequently in Rom., 1 Cor., and 1 John;
(d) "Gentiles" as distinguished from Jews, e.g., Rom 11:12, 15, where the meaning is that all who will may be reconciled (cp. 2Cr 5:19);
(e) the "present condition of human affairs," in alienation from and opposition to God, e.g., Jhn 7:7; 8:23; 14:30; 1Cr 2:12; Gal 4:3; 6:14; Col 2:8; Jam 1:27; 1Jo 4:5 (thrice); 5:19;
(f) the "sum of temporal possessions," Mat 16:26; 1Cr 7:31 (1st part);
(g) metaphorically, of the "tongue" as "a world (of iniquity)," Jam 3:6; expressive of magnitude and variety.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:51 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,155,869 times
1 Peter 3:3
Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

Wow, is this verse about messed up,, in translation. This has NOTHING AT ALL to do with appearance,,but how the woman is supposed to act IN THE KOSMOS OF THE KINGDOM, while being married to an unbeliever in his KOSMOS(house). Interesting how chopped up this is, and made to look like something it isn't. Braiding hair,,wearing gold,,,and putting on clothes???

ROFL,,,my how the sheep are gullible.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:00 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,155,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
And yet, Zero, ETers will read those messages and probably will declare them "of the devil."

Isn't that sad?!

Would anyone else care to comment on what these 150 posters in my guest book said?

I have had hundreds of people expressing "aha" moments to me when they learned about the evidence of universal salvation being in the Bible.

Why not check 150 of them out?

My guestbook only holds 150, then the old messages get deleted as the new ones are posted.
Here is the link. It is called "View."

[View]

And I have hundreds more in my email file folders too!

IMO the saying applies here, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."
Actually, your little 'aha' moment, was a 'passing through'' that you should have kept right on going. Instead you parked,,,and have become stagnant. You must see it all for what IT is. The Truth, and the lies, in order to defend a position on anything.

Was the devil lying talking to Jesus in His temptation? He used the Word against Him, right?

Little nuggets here, and there, do not constitute the mother lode. Keep digging and let the Spirit lead, instead of running around thinking you have all the answers figured out.

And this is the fourth time you have spammed this link. If anyone cared, they would have went there the first time. So please, stop spamming.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:06 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,408,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Actually, your little 'aha' moment, was a 'passing through'' that you should have kept right on going. Instead you parked,,,and have become stagnant. You must see it all for what IT is. The Truth, and the lies, in order to defend a position on anything.

Was the devil lying talking to Jesus in His temptation? He used the Word against Him, right?

Little nuggets here, and there, do not constitute the mother lode. Keep digging and let the Spirit lead, instead of running around thinking you have all the answers figured out.

And this is the fourth time you have spammed this link. If anyone cared, they would have went there the first time. So please, stop spamming.
Zero, I rest my case.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:40 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,437,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
Zero, I rest my case.
...more riddles.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:47 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,437,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Everything i said is a direct quote from the Strongs.

Now if you like you can post your sources and we can compare them, we can use the thayers, vines ... What ever you want.
What does it matter, your interp is incorrect. You keep applying the physical to something that which it is not. The concept of kosmos is not planetary, or little objects making up the entire universe, it is a moral and philosophical definition of the term.

GNT Concordance: κόσμον (kosmon) − 46 Occurrences

Old 11-02-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
What does it matter, your interp is incorrect. You keep applying the physical to something that which it is not. The concept of kosmos is not planetary, or little objects making up the entire universe, it is a moral and philosophical definition of the term.

GNT Concordance: κόσμον (kosmon) − 46 Occurrences
Thank you for the link ... I don't see how it has any bearing on the discussion.

We agree that we disagree on each others interpretations of the scriptures.

However our interpretations of the scriptures do not change the fact that the word is understood to mean the entire creation in many if not most of its contextual applications within the scriptures of the new testament as well as in the Greek classics.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:26 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
God tells me you are wrong in the scriptures.
Whatever your chosen form of eschatology, which i have noticed is what you base much of your theology on, it does not change the fact that we have very different understandings of who God is and his plan and purpose for the creation.
Your understanding is squared from a level degree of learning?...

Old 11-02-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1965 View Post
your understanding is squared from a level degree of learning?...
lol ...

Old 11-02-2010, 07:40 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
They cannot see that though. They will argue until they are smurfs that hell doesn't mean hell, but when you tell them about other words that are wrongfully translated,,they go blind as bats.
Kosmos is not the WHOLE WORLD, period. It is the system of those within a specific area or region, or nation, or race. And it is the system, or kingdom, that this word applies,,,not the earth or the inhabitants there of.

How about "the matrix"? lol. That word would have been better suited instead of "world".
Better example...The world of Doctors or the world of Lawyers....Is everyone in the world Docotors or is everyone in the world Lawyers?...At the same time, as Christ Sacrifice was eternally for the Elect and temporally for the World...One Sacrifice, dual application...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity