Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:22 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,006,684 times

Advertisements

I realize NOT all Christians believe in this; however, quite a few do. This means that according to this doctrine, humans are guilty (born in sin, hence born "sinners") until proven innocent (via the acceptance of Jesus' death and resurrection). I saw this on another forum and I never really looked at it like that before considering one of our bedrock law principles in that the accused is innocent until proven guilty.

Is this why [some] Christians can be judgmental and arrogant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 08:37 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,215,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I realize NOT all Christians believe in this; however, quite a few do. This means that according to this doctrine, humans are guilty (born in sin, hence born "sinners") until proven innocent (via the acceptance of Jesus' death and resurrection). I saw this on another forum and I never really looked at it like that before considering one of our bedrock law principles in that the accused is innocent until proven guilty.

I think it is why some ARE not CAN. :-)

You can see it in very little kids, they try and take toys from other kids etc. We have to teach them not to do that.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:42 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,965 times
Quote:

This whole proposition of "original sin" presents a particular quandry. If it is so and we are born in sin...then Jesus was also born in sin since his mother, Mary, would also have been born in sin....hence, Jesus would not be sinless as he is espoused to be.

If we are not born in sin or do not carry "original sin"...then we are not actually sinners unless we transgress the Law (10 commandments)...for it clearly states that sin is the transgression of the Law....since before the Law, sin was not imputed.

Some will say, that we have the propensity to sin...but propensity doesn't mean one actually sins or transgresses the Law....therefore, some can claim to be without sin.

It will be very interesting to see the Christian spin regarding this quandry.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:50 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,006,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
This whole proposition of "original sin" presents a particular quandry. If it is so and we are born in sin...then Jesus was also born in sin since his mother, Mary, would also have been born in sin....hence, Jesus would not be sinless as he is espoused to be.

If we are not born in sin or do not carry "original sin"...then we are not actually sinners unless we transgress the Law (10 commandments)...for it clearly states that sin is the transgression of the Law....since before the Law, sin was not imputed.

Some will say, that we have the propensity to sin...but propensity doesn't mean one actually sins or transgresses the Law....therefore, some can claim to be without sin.

It will be very interesting to see the Christian spin regarding this quandry.
Did you just drop an 'imputed' on us, Christy? LOL...You were DEFINITELY a 24-hour Christian once upon a time.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Did you just drop an 'imputed' on us, Christy? LOL...You were DEFINITELY a 24-hour Christian once upon a time.
Oh yes I was....was being the operative word there. After years of intensive study I now know how deluded I allowed myself to become by the lying spin doctors. When one actually critically and unbiasedly examines the evidence and the lack thereof....it's not a hard decision to begin the deconversion process. If the biblical contradictions and inconsistencies alone don't convince one....the syncretism that can be traced throughout the centuries should.

So, like I said...it will be interesting to see the spin that is placed on the subject of "original sin".

Oh BTW....I also asked this same question in Do "true" Christians sin....the few answers I received there were.....laughable to say the least.

Last edited by ChristyGrl; 09-29-2010 at 09:09 AM..

Old 09-29-2010, 09:30 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,976 times
The way I understand it is that "original sin" may not be part of the material body but it is part of the spirit and soul that absorbs the effects from the parents upon gestation. When the child is born, it will carry with him throughout his life. This doesn't mean it has done any sinning in his material body because he can lead a sinless life yet still be sinful. This would mean that the person would have to rid their soul and spirit of the sinful nature so that it can reflect on the material body and become sinless.

As each generation had the tendencies to have a sinful nature, it has carried thorughout the generations so that no one is sinless.

In the case of Jesus, they way I understand it, is that while he was in the womb, He had the soul longings of our Father and the Fathers Love cleansed His soul of all inclinations so that He could be born without sin. If He had not, and had been born as everyone else, He would not have been able to express God's love for all mankind and would not have been the appointed Messiah. The result is that once one person since Adam and Eve had become sinless with no inclinations to sin, it was made available to all.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
The way I understand it is that "original sin" may not be part of the material body but it is part of the spirit and soul that absorbs the effects from the parents upon gestation. When the child is born, it will carry with him throughout his life. This doesn't mean it has done any sinning in his material body because he can lead a sinless life yet still be sinful. This would mean that the person would have to rid their soul and spirit of the sinful nature so that it can reflect on the material body and become sinless.

As each generation had the tendencies to have a sinful nature, it has carried thorughout the generations so that no one is sinless.

In the case of Jesus, they way I understand it, is that while he was in the womb, He had the soul longings of our Father and the Fathers Love cleansed His soul of all inclinations so that He could be born without sin. If He had not, and had been born as everyone else, He would not have been able to express God's love for all mankind and would not have been the appointed Messiah. The result is that once one person since Adam and Eve had become sinless with no inclinations to sin, it was made available to all.

Okee Dokee....thanks for your participation.

Now can we have someone BIBLICALLY support their position.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Okee Dokee....thanks for your participation.

Now can we have someone BIBLICALLY support their position.
I didn't realize I was supposed to quote the bible. Apparently, free thought isn't welcome anymore?

Old 09-29-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I didn't realize I was supposed to quote the bible. Apparently, free thought isn't welcome anymore?
Sorry...that was my bad....I should have been more clear about that and profusely apologize for any misunderstandings I might have caused. We love free thought....but we are looking for BIBLICALLY supported answers for this contradictory teaching.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Sorry...that was my bad....I should have been more clear about that and profusely apologize for any misunderstandings I might have caused. We love free thought....but we are looking for BIBLICALLY supported answers for this contradictory teaching.

We're ok. No worries!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity