Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:20 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,938,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
So, according to your doctrine, and for the record, are people redeemed and made righteous through the faith in Jesus' name even though they may continue to be fornicators, adulterers, liars, thieves, alcoholics, drug abusers, smokers, back-biters and so forth? Is this your definition of Christ's righteousness being imputed?
Well, first of all, you've not stated "my doctrine" correctly, which is really not my doctrine, but rather the teaching of scripture. And here is how I see it:

There are two parts to Justification that I think many confuse which leads to disagreements.

1. Declaration of righteousness. This is a forensic determination by God and is based upon the death and resurrection of Jesus that occurred 2000 years ago. For lack of a better term it is often called Objective Justification. This declaration is to all.

2. Imputed righteousness. The declaration is imputed to those who believe as the righteousness of Christ. It is received through faith of the Spirit (when born of the Spirit). The imputation to righteousness occurs in time, when the Spirit of Christ wills it so. This aspect of justification is often called Subjective Justification.

The "fornicators, adulterers, liars, thieves, alcoholics, drug abusers, smokers, back-biters and so forth" that you mention are forensically declared righteous by God on the merits of Christ alone through His death and resurrection. However, how they live their life will testify whether they have been born of the Spirit, brought to faith in Christ and know their justification. They are objectively justified before God on the merits of Christ alone, but as yet, not subjectively so.

The other thing is that we are not "made righteous" in the sense of righteousness being infused within us, but rather we are "declared righteous" in the sense of accounting Christ's righteousness to us.

What I also see is that many are trying to achieve their own "declaration of righteousness" rather than believe it was achieved by Jesus, as declared by God. Those who believe God's declaration, like Abraham did, are imputed to righteousness. The righteousness of Christ.

It's a fascinating study in scripture and I'm obviously limited in my ability to explain it here. The best thing to do is call on the name of Jesus (Yeshua) in prayer and ask His Spirit to reveal it's truths to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 12:58 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,947,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
The other thing is that we are not "made righteous" in the sense of righteousness being infused within us, but rather we are "declared righteous" in the sense of accounting Christ's righteousness to us.
Paul made it clear that the unrighteous, which include those who engage in the works of the flesh, will not inherit the kingdom of God; and he made no exception for those who profess Jesus' name. To be redeemed by the blood of Jesus, one must walk in the Spirit so he/she won't fulfill the lusts of the flesh. Christ is of no effect to those who continue live like the devil; and even one willful sin puts a person in the devil's camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
What I also see is that many are trying to achieve their own "declaration of righteousness" rather than believe it was achieved by Jesus, as declared by God. Those who believe God's declaration, like Abraham did, are imputed to righteousness. The righteousness of Christ.
Jesus paid the price for sin on the Cross for those who will obey, not for those who continue to fulfill the lusts of the flesh. The devils believe in Jesus, and tremble, so it is of no effect to merely believe in Jesus; one must have faith in Jesus; faith is an operative word, not an idle one. When a person is really born of the Spirit by faith in Jesus, he/she is determined to drop all sin immediately and to separate from the unrighteousness of the world; Jesus is the enabler by faith. One can't have one foot in sin and the other in Christ and expect that he/she is redeemed by Jesus' blood because of His righteousness; it doesn't work that way.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:23 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Jesus paid the price for sin on the Cross for those who will obey, not for those who continue to fulfill the lusts of the flesh. of the world
There is nothing it the scripture remotely like this.

Jesus paid the price for sin on the Cross while we were yet sinners, and nowhere does it say he died for those those that will obey him.

He died for the ungodly, His blood was shed for our sin and not our obedience.

For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
Romans 5 verse 10

As this verse confirms we are not saved by our obedience, but saved by His life.

Last edited by pcamps; 12-14-2010 at 01:35 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 05:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Default The "GIFT" of Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I think the bolded part of your post should read "God gives us the faith to believe", then it fits perfectly with all that Ephesians 2:8-10 is telling us, it's all His doing. I can never understand why christians cannot accept this, what is they to lose by this ?, accept our pride.Think about it.

It takes God to open our eyes, and when he does, we recognize him, until this happen we will never recognize him.
Good point! -- I think our 'flesh' is directly opposed to any notion that we are not God ... or in control. It's Probably pride -- and/or a healthy dose of rebellion against God's authority (aka; sin). Who knows (except God), but indeed, the heart of a man is desperately wicked.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:30 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,343,664 times
Quote:
But when the set time had fully come, Galatians 4:4. This verse is loaded,it knocks free will right out the ballpark in my opinion.
I may agree with all of you, if I lived on a desert island.

But I can't help to be reminded of things like:

love your neighbor as yourself
as we forgive those that trespass against us
leaving the altar to go reconcile with my brother
etc...

No doubt, there is no debt to the law
But I'm more concerned about my debt to my brethren

Old 12-14-2010, 05:31 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
Quote:
“But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship.” Galatians 4:4-5.

Did God accomplish this ?, is he accomplishing it ?, can he accomplish it ?, will he accomplish it ?, or he can't fully accomplish it ?
Why not give it a rest.....

Old 12-14-2010, 05:44 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Why not give it a rest.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity