Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Just another attempt of taking verses out of context to fit one's belief.

No attempt to fit any sort of belief.

Did you see my previous post where God put words into the mouths of His prophets and had them speak same to others? He also had them record His words in written form. God's word is both written and spoken. That was my attempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:08 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post

Did you see my previous post where God put words into the mouths of His prophets and had them speak same to others? He also had them record His words in written form. God's word is both written and spoken. That was my attempt.
It came off badly in your Psalms quotation. Perhaps because of a confusion of concepts.

You're playing semantic games, however (perhaps not intentionally), and this can obscure theological concepts.
God speaking to Create is not the equivalent of a scribe (for example, Baruch) writing down the visions that a prophet (for example, Jeremiah) received in a vision or trance, and then recited to the scribe. This is also different from what later believers would call the collected writings of scribes, poets and court historians: "The Word of God".

The common reference to the Bible as "God's Word" is not the same as "God's words" in Genesis 1, for example. The author of the Gospel of John really took this semantic game and turned it into some sort of metaphysical representation of "God's Word/s" as Christ. That's the Greek influence (and Gnostic) speaking there.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Just another attempt of taking verses out of context to fit one's belief.
Yes, it's very common unfortunately. In this case it appeared to be an attempt to answer another post, but by using the concepts incorrectly by not taking into account the context.

Context, context, context....

Old 02-15-2012, 07:32 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
And indeed ILNC, no one who rejects His word does or can know God. Such people are deceiving themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
How can people believe the actual bible was given to us by God? Several reasons.

A: Jesus always quoted "the scriptures" as God who spoke through Moses, Psalms, the Prophets

B: never once do we read about Jesus critiquing the scriptures as not being accurate.

C: The apostles admitted what they wrote was not of their doing

D: The Apostles admitted that what they wrote were scriptures
the same word connection for scriptures that Jesus used for scriptures in what Moses, Psalms and the prophets wrote
D: the Scripture cannot be broken ...John 10:35

People believe because Jesus himself says so
Amen, Twin and Mike.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I don't reject God's word. I reject the idea that a complicated book that can be interpreted hundreds of different ways by bible scholars while still claiming inerrancy is the work of God.

I believe God speaks to us directly through the holy spirit. The bible is a book of religious significance that has a lot of great things in it. God did not write it though, man did.
Interesting how one goes on explaining THEIR interpretation and the Holy Spirit led them in telling one God did not write the Bible, OK....
Well of course God did not write it with His own hand... He inspired Holy men who listened, obeyed, honor Him that He trusted in writing what He spoke to them.....
And to say that the Scholars, Prophets, and the Apostles by the way in whom were chosen by Christ Jesus and were inspired by God to write down to the world, people.... of God's will for mankind.... that their interpretations are incorrect got it....

Quote:
Inerrantists rely on their perceived superiority to elevate their opinions so high that they claim to know what relationship others have with God. I can assure you that you have no concept of the closeness of my relationship with God to have made such an absurd statement.
Hmmm, interesting once again.... so your opinion is correct and claiming that everyone who believes the Bible to be God's word and inspired by God is incorrect.... and you know this and how may I ask ??...

Wouldn't you say that your superiority of what God's word says and to claim it is not of God is suppose to be correct and you know exactly.... that God spoke to you about their relationship God has with them, Jesus, the Prophets, the Scholars.... by saying what they taught and wrote was not of God, nor were they inspired by God, OK, gotcha, you have the whole truth about God and no one else does, especially Jesus !!

By the way Jesus spoke, read from the books, and taught of what the Prophets wrote.....

John 18:20
Jesus answered him, “I have spoken openly to the world; I always taught in synagogues and in the temple, where all the Jews come together; and I spoke nothing in secret.

Luke 4
14 And Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about Him spread through all the surrounding district.
15 And He began teaching in their synagogues and was praised by all.
16 And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read.
17 And the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book and found the place where it was written,

18 “THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME,
BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR.
HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES,
AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND,
TO SET FREE THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED,
19 TO PROCLAIM THE FAVORABLE YEAR OF THE LORD.”

20 And He closed the book, gave it back to the attendant and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on Him.
21 And He began to say to them, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.”
22 And all were speaking well of Him, and wondering at the gracious words which were falling from His lips; and they were saying, “Is this not Joseph’s son?”

Now if one is following Jesus example in whom read from the book of Isaiah one of God's prophets about Him (Jesus) will believe that the word of God is from God, amen !! For Jesus did not speak on His own but the very word of God spoken of the past prophesying of Him and the will of God.... according to Moses and the Prophets, amen !!

Quote:
Yes, I have rejected "it", the bible (as being inerrant and as being written by God), but I have not rejected God's word. They are not the same thing. God's holy spirit speaking directly to my heart and soul is God's word. I have not rejected God's word.
Interesting again.... so tell us what has God told you that He didn't tell Jesus, Moses, Abraham, Joshua, Isaiah, Job, Jeremiah, John, Paul, Peter, James, Matthew, etc., that we are not aware of ???

Don't you think it's important to share as Jesus, the Prophets, Apostles did... they did in order to help, warn, protect, teach, that of God's will for mankind and the people of God.... ??

Quote:
Its a lot less about what I have been taught that is contrary to the bible and a lot more about the direction in my life that are given which fully align with leading a life that follows the example Jesus gave us.
Are you for certain the direction you have supposedly received from the Holy Spirit is aligned with Jesus' example..... and how do you know this if the Bible who shows, talks, about Jesus is not correct ??
I say this because the people of God are warned about Satan transforming himself into apostle of Christ, an angel of light, well the scripture below explains it quite well....
Yet of course you don't believe the word of God, the Bible..... so how would one know that the example of Jesus is the true Jesus they are following.... ???

2 Corinthians 11:13-15
For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works.

Someone comes on here and tells us that the word of God is not from Him, nor inspired by God.... I definitely have my doubts and do not trust because the scripture above reassures my heart not even to listen to there philosophy of what God has said and done.... especially their private interpretation of who, what, how about the prophecy of the Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ, amen !!

2 Peter 1:19-21
19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 02-15-2012 at 07:42 AM..

Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
The ONLY incontrovertible scripture given by Elohim is the Tanakh. The so called "bible" (note: the word bible comes from the Greek Biblia a Greek goddess>pagan) was assembled by the Church of Rome as a collection of both their re constituted and re interpreted (via Greek) so called Old Testament (their words) and their so called "New Testament" which was actually a collection of the "letters" written by the Talmadim (apostles) and taken from original Aramaic and Hebrew texts translated (for their own agendas) into the Greek and assembled as ONE book. It was NEVER intended to be so. The original followers of Yahushua (you call HIM jesus) read and taught from the Tanakh exclusively. There were NO letters assembled as a so called "new testament" back when they were in their ministries. They quoted regularly from the Tanakh and since it was indeed the very word of Elohim it was not intended to be changed (Mat 5 17-20). Anything else you all say is just your own inventions and man added religiosity. Nothing new there. Any religion that changes the REAL Sabbath and removes the Appointed Times of the Most High and substitutes pagan rituals calling it christianity are indeed following a man made religion and NOT the one THE Messiah came to elevate. Thats for sure.....

Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post

~ Yes, and The Aostles referred to
what The Prophets said or wrote as 'Scripture'.
Not what they said.

Because The Prophets often spoke: "Thus Saith The Lord".

Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because the inspirations are not in written form within our consciousness and must be translated to verbal form that uses the existing human knowledge and understanding of the receiver to interpret. Our ignorant ancient ancestors had very little knowledge, a slew of superstitious beliefs about God and cultural tribal traditions that tainted the recording of the inspirations they received into language.
IMO, that's very thin ice to base your rejection of (most) Scripture on. A thousand years from now, if the Lord tarries, we will be the "ancient ignorants".

Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Don't be coy, jimmie. Can you honestly tell me that deep in your heart of hearts you consider the many heinous and evil things attributed to God in the OT to be good and true because God did them? They do NOT offend your heart and sense of decency, morality, kindness and love? If you say that you can and they do not offend your heart . . . I would be very incredulous . . . and be very sad for the state of your Spirit.
You mean, like the flood? Sodom & Gomarrah? God gave His reason for their destruction. I have no problem with the Creator destroying that which did not function according to specifications.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:55 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yes, but not our interpretation and pre conceived ideas of it. Could you be so kind and answer my question ?.
At your convenience Jimmie!!

Old 02-15-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yes, but not our interpretation and pre conceived ideas of it. Could you be so kind and answer my question ?.
Has anyone interpreted it correctly, in your opinion? Are we capable of such? Have you figured it out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity