Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:42 AM

173 posts, read 135,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...what Michael The Disciple stated..which I responded to, was the fact that obedience to the Book of The Law...or otherwise called, The Law of Moses...or otherwise called, The Ceremonial Law, has come to an end.
Since this is off the topic of this thread would you be willing to start a new thread and explain from scripture how we can know that the Law of Moses did not include the 10 commandments? I would like to see how you arrive at that. I have never had that explained to me. But have seen many make the same claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 07:54 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,674,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK4J View Post
Since this is off the topic of this thread would you be willing to start a new thread and explain from scripture how we can know that the Law of Moses did not include the 10 commandments? I would like to see how you arrive at that. I have never had that explained to me. But have seen many make the same claim.
There are plenty of posts explaining this...The Ten Commandments and the Book of the Law. The original covenant was the Ten Commandments...not the Mosaic law. The Ten Commandments were placed inside the Ark of The Covenant, as a perpetual sign of the covenant between God and those who DO IT...and The Mosaic Law (added to the original covenant (The Ten Commandments) because of Israel's transgressions) was placed outside of the Ark of The Covenant.

When Christ came, he freed His people from the ceremonial elements of the Mosaic law but not from obedience to the Commandments of God.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,845,858 times
I roll my eyes when I see Christians who are overly fixated on and do not question the Old Testament. Some of the stuff in their is just plain bad...some of the characters who are glorified are guilty of horrific behavior. As for the Ten Commandments...they are just common sense laws...basic law that maintains some sort of civility.

Christians owe no loyalty to the OT....For some strange reason they married up the OT with the NT. The Old Testament does have some useful stuff but it was completely over shadowed by the sheer power and intelligence of the NT...The teachings of Jesus and what came out of his mouth is what is all important....The OT....is not a good book of instruction...You must glean the wisdom out of this book and toss the garbage aside...The old book is not the pure word of God...the closest you are going to get to the word of God are the words that came from the mouth of the Christ. I believe that the NT could have been trimmed down to one tenth of it's size..

Christianity is a state of mind and was never meant to be a huge and overly complex religion.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
There are plenty of posts explaining this...The Ten Commandments and the Book of the Law. The original covenant was the Ten Commandments...not the Mosaic law. The Ten Commandments were placed inside the Ark of The Covenant, as a perpetual sign of the covenant between God and those who DO IT...and The Mosaic Law (added to the original covenant (The Ten Commandments) because of Israel's transgressions) was placed outside of the Ark of The Covenant.

When Christ came, he freed His people from the ceremonial elements of the Mosaic law but not from obedience to the Commandments of God.
I could have sworn the 10 commandments were given to the nation of Israel.

EXO 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

Now who was in bondage in Egypt? Was that us Gentiles? Or was it Israel?

Chapter 5

1 And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them.
2 The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb.
3 The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day.
4 The LORD talked with you face to face in the mount out of the midst of the fire,
5 (I stood between the LORD and you at that time, to shew you the word of the LORD: for ye were afraid by reason of the fire, and went not up into the mount saying,

6 I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
7 Thou shalt have none other gods before me.

Now this is clear that it is the 10 commandments Moses is speaking of and declaring it was given to Israel.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:

EXO 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

Chapter 5

1 And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them.
3 The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day.
4 The LORD talked with you face to face in the mount out of the midst of the fire,
5 (I stood between the LORD and you at that time, to shew you the word of the LORD: for ye were afraid by reason of the fire, and went not up into the mount saying,

6 I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

Now this is clear that it is the 10 commandments Moses is speaking of and declaring it was given to Israel.
You are taking this thread off topic...please do not do that. Go to the threads that discuss this and you will find all the answers to just these questions...go read...!

Old 09-09-2012, 10:35 AM

855 posts, read 626,739 times
Quote:

Chapter 5

Quote:
You are taking this thread off topic...please do not do that. Go to the threads that discuss this and you will find all the answers to just these questions...go read...!
Actually, no, WK4J's observation places the thread squarely on topic and basically supports the OP's sentiment behind it. Remember, the thread title is: "Am I the only one who rolls eyes when Old Testament Christians say we have to keep the law of Moses?"

-

Old 09-09-2012, 11:55 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,463,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I roll my eyes when I see Christians who are overly fixated on and do not question the Old Testament. Some of the stuff in their is just plain bad...some of the characters who are glorified are guilty of horrific behavior. As for the Ten Commandments...they are just common sense laws...basic law that maintains some sort of civility.

Christians owe no loyalty to the OT....For some strange reason they married up the OT with the NT. The Old Testament does have some useful stuff but it was completely over shadowed by the sheer power and intelligence of the NT...The teachings of Jesus and what came out of his mouth is what is all important....The OT....is not a good book of instruction...You must glean the wisdom out of this book and toss the garbage aside...The old book is not the pure word of God...the closest you are going to get to the word of God are the words that came from the mouth of the Christ. I believe that the NT could have been trimmed down to one tenth of it's size..

Christianity is a state of mind and was never meant to be a huge and overly complex religion.
You sound like you would fit right in with Marcion. (that's not a compliment)

Swing the pendulum a bit too far in the other direction much?

Old 09-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjeena View Post
Actually, no, WK4J's observation places the thread squarely on topic and basically supports the OP's sentiment behind it. Remember, the thread title is: "Am I the only one who rolls eyes when Old Testament Christians say we have to keep the law of Moses?"

-
Good point. This is right on topic. I forget which thread I am posting to because I see the same thing in all of them from the same people.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
As was pointed out this is the topic of this thread. So how do you deal with the fact that the 10 commandments (part of the law) was given to Israel alone as we see from scripture?

Old 09-09-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
As was pointed out this is the topic of this thread. So how do you deal with the fact that the 10 commandments (part of the law) was given to Israel alone as we see from scripture?
...oops...you're right about the topic of this thread.

Does Scripture about the wild olive branch (Spiritual Israel) grafted into the Olive Tree (Natural Born Israel) ring a bell ? It's a fantastic read...you should try it out !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity