Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 02:04 PM

37,347 posts, read 28,425,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually they did not have a hard time seeing it. Many of them knew a messiah was coming, and write it down in the Bible: Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.

As for loving your neighbors. Where did this come from : love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.

Hint: Moses, the savage/ignorant ancestor wrote it.

Read the Bible, don't just repeat old www.tentmaker.com talking points.

Who wrote this:

If you come across your enemy’s ox or donkey wandering off, be sure to return it. If you see the donkey of someone who hates you fallen down under its load, do not leave it there; be sure you help them with it.

Yep, you guessed it. It was that savage/ignorant ancestor again. Those savages.....
They knew a promised messiah was coming,yet had no idea of the reason or concept of it, the proof is (like I keep reminding you about things hidden and revealed in scripture), even though they had the scripture, they could not conceive themselves the idea of God being anything like Jesus Christ along with what he taught. To put it bluntly, they had no idea who God is, even though the fullness of God was right in their midst.

Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me?. We know God who Is through His son Jesus Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 02:11 PM

65 posts, read 76,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I suggest you read the book of Hebrews (especially chapters 9-10), where the writer answers your question.

The link below is helpful, also.

Why did the sacrificial system require a blood sacrifice?
I just read both Hebrews chapter 9 and 10 and there is nothing there to show that God needed blood to be shade for his 'anger/wrath' to be appeased. Instead it says:

“Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but a body you prepared for me;
6 with burnt offerings and sin offerings
you were not pleased.
7 Then I said, ‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll—
I have come to do your will, my God.’”[a]
8 First he said, “Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them”—though they were offered in accordance with the law

Which proves that God infact did not desire blood to be shed, though he allowed it under the law, this i believe was for the Jews to believe that their sins were forgiven.It was for them not for God.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:14 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
They knew a promised messiah was coming,yet had no idea of the reason or concept of it, the proof is (like I keep reminding you about things hidden and revealed in scripture), even though they had the scripture, they could not conceive themselves the idea of God being anything like Jesus Christ along with what he taught.
Actually, they knew and know in very specific ways what to expect from the messiah. The Bible is quite specific about actions that the messiah will take and what will happen, in very real, concrete terms, around the messiah. Jesus did not fulfill those things.

If you're referring to the wisdom of Jesus' words and the gasps with which other Jews supposedly met same, pretty much all of those "unique" words can be found in the Torah and would definitely not have been met with shock by Jews. They might be debated, as is Jewish tradition, but the entire Pharisees v. Jesus thing based on Jesus' teachings and actions is pretty much a fabrication, once you learn a little about actual Judaism and actual history.

People give so little credit to the Jews' knowledge of their own religion learned and studied from birth onward, it's staggering. The belittling of the Jews' intelligence and of the validity of their own words and own religion should be an embarrassment on all of us.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:19 PM

20,474 posts, read 12,870,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa O View Post
I just read both Hebrews chapter 9 and 10 and there is nothing there to show that God needed blood to be shade for his 'anger/wrath' to be appeased. Instead it says:

“Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but a body you prepared for me;
6 with burnt offerings and sin offerings
you were not pleased.
7 Then I said, ‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll—
I have come to do your will, my God.’”[a]
8 First he said, “Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them”—though they were offered in accordance with the law

Which proves that God infact did not desire blood to be shed, though he allowed it under the law, this i believe was for the Jews to believe that their sins were forgiven.It was for them not for God.
Hebrew 9:11-18

Read also Leviticus 17:11.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:39 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,826,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
So you're cherry-picking which words are of the ancients and perhaps more accurate and which just don't really count?
We were talking about whether or not the OR authors knew Jesus was coming, and the verse I quoted proved that they knew.

Quote:
And on this basis, saying you know God better than the other people posting here do?
Where did I make such claim? No where. I am speaking to those who insist the OT people had no clue about who God was, or that they knew Jesus was coming, or that the OT never said "love your neighbor. They knew God, they knew Jesus was coming, and the OT did say 'love your neighbor'. They are wrong in all accounts.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We were talking about whether or not the OR authors knew Jesus was coming, and the verse I quoted proved that they knew.
They knew the messiah is coming, and they still know he's coming. That's what that verse proves.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Actually, they knew and know in very specific ways what to expect from the messiah. The Bible is quite specific about actions that the messiah will take and what will happen, in very real, concrete terms, around the messiah. Jesus did not fulfill those things.

If you're referring to the wisdom of Jesus' words and the gasps with which other Jews supposedly met same, pretty much all of those "unique" words can be found in the Torah and would definitely not have been met with shock by Jews. They might be debated, as is Jewish tradition, but the entire Pharisees v. Jesus thing based on Jesus' teachings and actions is pretty much a fabrication, once you learn a little about actual Judaism and actual history.

People give so little credit to the Jews' knowledge of their own religion learned and studied from birth onward, it's staggering. The belittling of the Jews' intelligence and of the validity of their own words and own religion should be an embarrassment on all of us.
Not belittling the Jews at all my friend,and neither do I wish to. I am saying reading scripture does not equate to knowing God.Jesus Christ taught that seeing him(not a man with a beard,but all that he represented), was seeing God( if you have seen me you have seen the Father). Also I was referring to the true nature and character of God made known to us by Jesus Christ, and not how God is reflected in the old covenant scripture.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Not belittling the Jews at all my friend,and neither do I wish to. I am saying reading scripture does not equate to knowing God.Jesus Christ taught that seeing him(not a man with a beard,but all that he represented), was seeing God( if you have seen me you have seen the Father). Also I was referring to the true nature and character of God made known to us by Jesus Christ, and not how God is reflected in the old covenant scripture.
That is also what the Jews sought and continue to seek, their whole lives long, by studying and conversing: to know God as God actually is, not as He is reflected in a spinoff religion.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:47 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,826,985 times
Quote:
They knew the messiah is coming, and they still know he's coming. That's what that verse proves.
You can deny Jesus already came, but that does not change the meaning of the verse. The bottom line is that the OT authors knew of the coming Messiah.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
That is also what the Jews sought and continue to seek, their whole lives long, by studying and conversing: to know God as God actually is, not as He is reflected in a spinoff religion.
Well if that is the case you can find and know him . For Jesus taught to seek after him and you will find him, he also taught that the kingdom of God is within, so I would say seeking him within is a very good place to look.

Spin off religion ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity