Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 11:37 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,396,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That has been your argument, not mine.
I'm asking do you ?. I actually believe you do, and that you believe because the bible(which technically to the 100% bible believer is god)said go destroy your enemies, you actually believe the bible over him who whom truth came to us, and part of that truth was love your enemies not destroy them,which to that point they believed God was telling them to destroy their enemies, well the believers believed wrong.

Last edited by pcamps; 04-27-2013 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 12:43 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,793,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I'm asking do you ?. I actually believe you do, and that you believe because the bible(which technically to the 100% bible believer is god)said go destroy your enemies, you actually believe the bible over him who whom truth came to us, and part of that truth was love your enemies not destroy them,which to that point they believed God was telling them to destroy their enemies, well the believers believed wrong.
Talk about "all or nothing". LOL. I believe God said 'love your neighbor as yourself' in the Old Testament, and I believe the same God said 'love also your enemies' in the New Testament. I also believe that on occasion God instructed Jews to kill their enemies in OT, and the New Testament says He will destroy His enemies again. I also believe God sentenced every person to die, and that included you too, whether you believe it or not. NT God says He appoints rulers and authorizes them to carry a sword to bring terror on the wrongdoers. Does that contradict "love your enemies"? You seem to think so, but the answer is NO, it does not.

"Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord."

Try reading the Bible in context and you will understand it better.

PS. Your suggestion that Christians think Bible is God, is just another personal insult, which I call "the UR love", because such remarks seem to go hand in hand with universalist beliefs.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Talk about "all or nothing". LOL. I believe God said 'love your neighbor as yourself' in the Old Testament, and I believe the same God said 'love also your enemies' in the New Testament. I also believe that on occasion God instructed Jews to kill their enemies in OT, and the New Testament says He will destroy His enemies again. I also believe God sentenced every person to die, and that included you too, whether you believe it or not. NT God says He appoints rulers and authorizes them to carry a sword to bring terror on the wrongdoers. Does that contradict "love your enemies"? You seem to think so, but the answer is NO, it does not.

"Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord."

Try reading the Bible in context and you will understand it better.

PS. Your suggestion that Christians think Bible is God, is just another personal insult, which I call "the UR love", because such remarks seem to go hand in hand with universalist beliefs.
So loving your enemies was introduced by Jesus as a new way of acting towards your enemy, instead of how they acted previously towards them under the direction of God ?. I will stick with ,only a mind alienated(dead) from the thoughts and ways of God, would believe destroying your enemy is inspired by God

Old 04-27-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
So loving your enemies was introduced by Jesus as a new way of acting towards your enemy, instead of how they acted previously towards them under the direction of God ?.
Either you did not read my post, or it went over your head

There is nothing new about it. Both the NT and OT teach the same things, and obviously the NT did not say to not punish the evil (as I already explained)

Old 04-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Either you did not read my post, or it went over your head

There is nothing new about it. Both the NT and OT teach the same things, and obviously the NT did not say to not punish the evil (as I already explained)
Loving your enemies is taught in the Old Testament ?, have you read what the children of Israel did and what they said God told them to do, and what they attributed to God in the old testament lately?.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Loving your enemies is taught in the Old Testament ?, have you read what the children of Israel did and what they said God told them to do, and what they attributed to God in the old testament lately?.
You also did not know the OT said to love your neighbor.

God did not tell Israel to blindly kill everyone who was not a Jew. There were wars, and God helped Israel win the wars, and there were specific reasons for those wars. If Israel did not have a standing army, they would have been wiped out, and then you would blame God for not protecting them. You can't wil with people like you because you will always find an angle to make God look bad.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-27-2013 at 01:21 PM..

Old 04-27-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:

God did not tell Israel to blindly kill everyone who was not a Jew. There were wars, and God helped Israel win the wars, and there were specific reasons for those wars. If Israel did not have a standing army, they would have been wiped out, and then you would blame God for not protecting them. You can't wil with people like you because you will always find an angle to make God look bad.
Actually I did know scripture teaches love your neighbor( they were told to)it is right there all the way through it, by God through example demonstrating it and through many examples of Old Testament saints.

Israel needed a standing army ?. Tell this to Elisha

When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. “Oh no, my lord! What shall we do?” the servant asked.

Don’t be afraid,” the prophet answered. “Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.”

And Elisha prayed, “Open his eyes, Lord, so that he may see.” Then the Lord opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

2 kings 6

Last edited by pcamps; 04-27-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 04-27-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:

I'm here to prove God is not the Godfather you 100% bible believers portray him as.. That God is all that He demonstrated through His son Jesus Christ, that His son is the Truth and you don't actually know any truth unless you find it in His son.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Actually I did know scripture teaches love your neighbor( they were told to)it is right there all the way through it, by God through example demonstrating it and through many examples of Old Testament saints.

Israel needed a standing army ?. Tell this to Elisha

When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. “Oh no, my lord! What shall we do?” the servant asked.

Don’t be afraid,” the prophet answered. “Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.”

And Elisha prayed, “Open his eyes, Lord, so that he may see.” Then the Lord opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

2 kings 6
Yes, they needed an army.

Tell me, how did Elisha treat the enemy after God gave him the army?

He said: Do not kill them.......Set food and water before them so that they may eat and drink and then go back to their master.”

Old 04-27-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, they needed an army.

Tell me, how did Elisha treat the enemy after God gave him the army?

He said: Do not kill them.......Set food and water before them so that they may eat and drink and then go back to their master.”
The same way Elijah did, which Jesus Christ THE truth we look to, rebuked his disciples and told them they knew not what spirit they were of for thinking God destroys lives instead of saving them ?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity