Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 03:33 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No I do not
OK. Got it. I misread your earlier post. You said you DO NOT believe it. Earlier you said you trust the OT, and now you have clarified that you do not believe what it says (at least the verses I quoted).

How do you explain that fact that Jesus believed it, but you do not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Back to the OP: 2 Cor 4:6 For God, who said, "Light shall shine out of darkness," is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ

So, I'd say it is just some of the reports about Gd in the OT that don't match.
Do you believe the accounts of Sodom / Gomorrah and the flood as described in the OT?

Old 04-28-2013, 03:48 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Well, when it comes to that, I don't believe God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah any more than I believe that He stopped by to visit with Abraham on His way to see whether what He had heard about the cities was true or not. (Genesis 18)

Old 04-28-2013, 03:53 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
OK. Got it. I misread your earlier post. You said you DO NOT believe it. Earlier you said you trust the OT, and now you have clarified that you do not believe what it says (at least the verses I quoted).

How do you explain that fact that Jesus believed it, but you do not?
Yes I do trust and believe scriptures, but not in the historic literal way you do. The scriptures are not your daily newspaper .

Old 04-28-2013, 03:54 PM

Finn Jarber

Do you believe the devil beast that spoke to Adam and Eve was literal and then literally went on its belly being cursed as described in Genesis 3 ? Yes or No ( playing you at our own game)

Old 04-28-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, when it comes to that, I don't believe God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah any more than I believe that He stopped by to visit with Abraham on His way to see whether what He had heard about the cities was true or not. (Genesis 18)
How do you explain the fact that Jesus talked about their destruction in the NT? Why would He lie about it? Why would he lie about the flood?

It seems people like to have their cake and eat it too. They want to say they trust the OT, and at the same time they reject the stories in it.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-28-2013 at 05:26 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 04:54 PM

670 posts, read 815,544 times
Now I am Monotheist.

I don't believe God is bound to our human made Ideals.

God is limitless, All-Powerful, and Is a part of every thing.

New Testament God demands Love for all others. Narrow Way of Life.

Old Testament God demands the systematic killing of all sinners. Broad Way of Destruction.

Yahweh says kill those sinners.
The Father says show acceptance and compassion to sinners, "He with out Sin Cast the First Stone."

The book of Ecclesiastes says, "There is a time for every thing and a season for every activity under heaven."

Now I feel God wants us to love each other, really even with my belief that God is within All, I can not accept the Broad Way of Destruction it is Evil.

Here is a story:

Well there are these guys talking about God,
The first one is Jewish and he says, "I think God is in there." And the Jew points to the Holy of Holy's.
Well the second man is Muslim and he shakes his head no and says, "No, No, No, I think God is Over there." And the Muslim points to the East!
The Third man gets into the Conversation and says, "I think God was a carpenter who died 2000 years ago. But I'm not sure where he is or not or even if he exist. Last we knew it, he flew up in the clouds."
The three men who can't agree kept debating until one day I walk up to them and they ask me, "Where is God so that we may Worship him."
And I told them, "Lift up a rock and you will find her there, listen to a song birds song and you will hear her, For I say unto you God exist in every thing and every thing is a part of God. Even that which you perceive as evil is a part of God."
Blasphemy the Three men cried, "If the devil is at one with God then how are we to respect our creator."
To which I replied, "Love all others, Love Yourself, and Love God more than any thing else. Show compassion to those who persecute you for what reward is there in helping those who do good for you. Even non-believers can do that. But Surely I say any one who shows mercy will see my Mother in Heaven."

Old 04-28-2013, 05:11 PM

Jesus never lied about either events or said they were literal events. He also was not likening the events to what the 100% bible believers try and threaten us to believe.
Like I have already told you, the Sodom and Gomorrah event happens to all of us, the great flood too.

Yet in saying that I am more interested in you responding to posts 375 and 385 of mine.

Quote:
Finn Jarber

Do you believe the devil beast that spoke to Adam and Eve was literal and then literally went on its belly being cursed as described in Genesis 3 ? Yes or No ( playing you at our own game)

You demand answers in a way that is reminiscent of those of the church in medevial times towards those who rejected church doctrine and tradition(and we all know what happened to them),yet when the tables are turned, you do a runner .

Old 04-28-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
God is capable of the supernatural, and so is Satan. That would make a good topic for another thread, or maybe you can bumb one of the old ones about it.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
God is capable of the supernatural, and so is Satan. That would make a good topic for another thread, or maybe you can bumb one of the old ones about it.
So you demand an answer about sodom and Gomorrah but refuse to answer a similar question from the Old Testament . How can you be debated in a fair way, when you set the rules ?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity