Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 04:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,797,224 times

Advertisements

The 'yes', and 'no' questions were necessary because there were so many conflicting * confused posts where one post says "I trust the OT", and the next one says "I do not believe the OT stories", and "the whole book is written by clueless, ignorant and savage people". Obviously you can't have it both ways.

Then the final answer is "I trust the OT, but not the way it is written, I trust my own version". Now, that can only mean you do not trust the OT, but if you say that out loud, you will be attacked, and accused of misrepresentation. LOL

I guess we are done here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 PM

64,027 posts, read 40,331,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The questions about the OT are not Yes or No questions.

#1. The bible is NOT a history book . . . so whether or not the events happened is irrelevant.
#2. The stories are examples for our instruction. It is the lessons in the stories that are important . . . not whether or not they actually happened.
#3. None of the stories can be used to claim "God did anything" because our ignorant savage ancestors simply believed God did everything . . . making their testimony worthless.
I believe the story describes the terrible destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. I do not believe God did it. That does not mean it cannot be used by Jesus as an example of horrible consequences . . . because it is an excellent example. The point is that the people He was talking to knew of and believed the stories. Christ using them as examples to illustrate His points does not mean He is validating the stories as true. He is just using their knowledge of them and their beliefs about them to make His points. The Bible is for Spiritual instruction . . .NOT historical documentation. We read it spiritually to learn the lessons in it . . . not to learn history. NOT true. It is not meaningless . . . that IS a misrepresentation. It has to be interpreted using Christ's revelations about God's True Nature . . . a very different issue. I explained why they are not yes or no questions . . . ignore it if you wish. I do not believe God destroyed anybody for any reason, period . . . because Jesus Christ did NOT . . . and He had plenty of opportunity and reasons to do so! The nature of Jesus Christ IS the nature of our God. You believe otherwise at your peril.
Quote:
No one REJECTS the stories in it, Finn . . . that is more misrepresentation. I believe the story describes the terrible destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. I do not believe God did it. That does not mean it cannot be used by Jesus as an example of horrible consequences . . . because it is an excellent example. The point is that the people He was talking to knew of and believed the stories. Christ using them as examples to illustrate His points does not mean He is validating the stories as true. He is just using their knowledge of them and their beliefs about them to make His points. The Bible is for Spiritual instruction . . . NOT historical documentation. We read it spiritually to learn the lessons in it . . . not to learn history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The 'yes', and 'no' questions were necessary because there were so many conflicting * confused posts where one post says "I trust the OT", and the next one says "I do not believe the OT stories", and "the whole book is written by clueless, ignorant and savage people". Obviously you can't have it both ways.
As long as you treat the stories as history instead of examples and illustrations for our spiritual instruction . . . you will think this. But since we know the Bible is a Spiritual instruction book in righteousness and contains a God-inspired promise of a Messiah (teacher) to come . . . complete with the ways we could identify and validate Him . . . your concerns become irrelevant.
Quote:
Then the final answer is "I trust the OT, but not the way it is written, I trust my own version".
Wrong . . . the final answer is ""I trust the OT as the SPIRITUAL instruction book that it is. I trust that it is to be interpreted SPIRITUALLY complete with examples and illustrations of Good and Evil. I trust that it contains the God-inspired promise of a Messiah (Teacher) who was to come to reveal the true nature of God the Father. I trust that Christ IS that Messiah who has redeemed that promise and that He revealed our true God the Father . . . contradicting the ignorant savage "Godfather" of our barbaric ancestors. I trust the version Christ revealed and exemplified by His life, death and resurrection (rebirth as Spirit)." My version has nothing to do with it, Finn . . . neither does yours.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 04-29-2013 at 01:20 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,797,224 times
Thanks for confirming my point again

Old 04-29-2013, 02:55 PM

698 posts, read 649,770 times
Quote:
Not believing that our ancestors were ignorant and superstitious is WHY you think God brings Evil into anyone's lives. As far as they were concerned in their savage mentality . . . God brought everything into their lives. That is why they tried to appease God with blood sacrifices
to try to eliminate the bad things! Christ tried to correct their misunderstanding of God and in their savagery and brutality they scourged and crucified Him for it.
I just want to point out that the writers of the Old Testament used a language and style that was understandable to the culture they were writing to. Perhaps our interpretations would be more accurate if we strove to understand the ancient words of an ancient Eastern-Hebraic writer, through the eyes and mind of an ancient Eastern-Hebraic mindset. It should be noted that the Hebrew “ra†which is translated evil in some Bible translations does not mean evil in the sense that we Westerners might think of the word today.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,387,419 times
"This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an inmovable object. I think you and I are destined to do this forever" -The Joker

I'm sure someones going to find out their were right about certain things in the end times, but if it's the URs, it makes me wonder if the URs and ETers will still be debating things in heaven for eternity.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:07 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
"This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an inmovable object. I think you and I are destined to do this forever" -The Joker

I'm sure someones going to find out their were right about certain things in the end times, but if it's the URs, it makes me wonder if the URs and ETers will still be debating things <snip> for eternity.
Nah ... if the UR's are right, there is no eternal HELL.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,452,532 times
The carnage within the Old Testament comes from the minds of men; not the heart of the Spirit.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:06 PM

58 posts, read 77,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Nah ... if the UR's are right, there is no eternal HELL.
Then who needs God if the UR's are right.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:10 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Jones View Post
Then who needs God if the UR's are right.
So, if no one is going to be tormented for eternity, you don't think people need God?

Do you believe God is the source of Life and Love and Truth, or don't you? If you do, why don't you think you need God?

Old 04-30-2013, 04:55 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,452,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
So, if no one is going to be tormented for eternity, you don't think people need God?
Do you believe God is the source of Life and Love and Truth, or don't you?

If you do, why don't you think you need God?
I would rather worship out of love, than fear of a man-made hellhole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity