Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 PM

794 posts, read 846,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Angel View Post
I'm sorry but I'm pretty familiar with the Bible, and it really doesn't say that. If you disagree, would you mind posting chapter and verse? Thanks.

Angela
All of Paul's greetings to believers in his books he always said, "To all the saints (believers)" That is why in the book of Hebrews you don't see the customary greeting because he was not talking to believers in that book. Don't get religious saints mixed up with biblical saints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 01:45 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What does it mean to be declared a "saint"? I think that the word has a different meaning (for Roman Catholics) than it's original Biblical meaning.

I am not trying to be glib. But this is the type of thing about the Roman Catholic church that bothers me. As if they have a say in how God will view things, and that God is waiting to hear them so that He will know how to proceed.

Thanks for any information.
The Church only says someone is a saint after there is evidence of it with a miracle. They don't make a saint, the saint makes themselves a saint, the church just says we are very certain this person is a saint because we have some evidence of it. They don't tell God what to do.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:47 AM

796 posts, read 859,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
All of Paul's greetings to believers in his books he always said, "To all the saints (believers)" That is why in the book of Hebrews you don't see the customary greeting because he was not talking to believers in that book. Don't get religious saints mixed up with biblical saints.
Once again the Roman organization chooses to not do things God's way and reject that all Christians are Saints in favor of only a select few members of their organization are saints. I think the motto is "Our way, never God's way"

Old 07-11-2013, 07:04 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
So you say that members of the Roman organization do not pray to Mary? Is that what your trying to claim?
I am certain God does not mind as long as they are believers.

Mary is not God, she is the mother of God. Many people have devotion for Mary.

Furthermore, this is religion and all religions have differences. It seems you are implying your religion is better. There is no such thing as "my religion is better".

And there is nothing wrong by having a figure of the virgin carrying baby Jesus. This is part of our rich cultural heritage. And many of the prayers to the Virgin are quite beautiful and I am certain that God is quite pleased. To assume God is not pleased would be very narrow minded.

BTW, have you been to mass?

Some people pray to the figure of the virgin in solitude at church and when they do this they communicate with God. I am surprised you don't get this. Who cares what method they use? This is our tradition, this brings people closer to God.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Julian, You are dealing with rote dogma that has been indoctrinated against Catholicism. There is no sincere and open-minded questioning involved. You will only get the false beliefs and invectives repeated against the Catholic Church. Apparently it is not a sin to falsely witness against Catholics and misrepresent their faith and practices . . . if you have the one and only Protestant truth on your side.
As a Catholic I would never say anything critical of other religions and that includes the Jews and the Muslims. I have never understood why some Protestant ministers indoctrinate the people against the Catholic Church.

I see nothing wrong with the Protestants, in fact I have attended many times and they often follow a pattern similar to the mass. I also like the fact that they are often more colorful and passionate.

However, in the Catholic Church I enjoy the old stuff, the traditions. If it was up to me I would still have the priests speak in Latin. I can see why some of the newly created Protestant sects are turned off by these old traditions, but I cannot understand the acrimony.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
It means to trust in Jesus alone for your salvation. The work of Jesus at the cross is a finished work, never to be repeated. You are saved by grace and grace alone. Nowhere does Jesus say follow God's law to be saved.
You need to memorize The Sermon on the Mount.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You need to memorize The Sermon on the Mount.
As I said, show me where Jesus said follow God's law to be saved. Did He not say whoever hears His word and believes in Him who sent Jesus you will be saved? Did Jesus not say whoever believes in Him will not be judged but has passed from death into life? The manifestations of pride in the life of a believer never seize to amaze me.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
As I said, show me where Jesus said follow God's law to be saved. Did He not say whoever hears His word and believes in Him who sent Jesus you will be saved? Did Jesus not say whoever believes in Him will not be judged but has passed from death into life? The manifestations of pride in the life of a believer never seize to amaze me.
OK, but Catholics are Christians. Have you been to mass? It is all about Jesus Christ.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I am certain God does not mind as long as they are believers.

Mary is not God, she is the mother of God. Many people have devotion for Mary.

Furthermore, this is religion and all religions have differences. It seems you are implying your religion is better. There is no such thing as "my religion is better".

And there is nothing wrong by having a figure of the virgin carrying baby Jesus. This is part of our rich cultural heritage. And many of the prayers to the Virgin are quite beautiful and I am certain that God is quite pleased. To assume God is not pleased would be very narrow minded.

BTW, have you been to mass?

Some people pray to the figure of the virgin in solitude at church and when they do this they communicate with God. I am surprised you don't get this. Who cares what method they use? This is our tradition, this brings people closer to God.
But Mary was a sinner like everyone else. Why do Catholics pray to a sinner? I'll tell you why because Catholicism idolizes chosen people in the bible. Mary suffered death like every other sinner in the world. Yes she is in Heaven but for the same reason everyone else is and will be for believing in Jesus alone for their salvation.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
OK, but Catholics are Christians. Have you been to mass? It is all about Jesus Christ.
No its not. Its all about the Mary beads, the statues, the smoke lantern things ( ), the fancy décor, the crackers and juice and praying to sinners. Jesus Christ is NOT at the center of the catholic church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity