Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
It is a religious rank that catholics believe is honorable or prestigious to God. Anyone who believes in Jesus alone for their salvation is a saint according to the bible. Catholics do not believe this. God's grace puts all of us on equal ground. If you believe in Jesus your righteousness is just as much as the next believer because it is Jesus' righteousness, not yours. Catholics do not believe this either. They believe in works, praying through saints and Mary before statues shaped into what they think looks like them, big churches and religious practices to earn your salvation or maintain it and its all an insult to the grace of God. The ranks catholics have created within their church is just another work of their hands they believe God finds pleasing or favorable.
"Depart from me, I never knew you."

What exactly does "believes in Jesus" mean to you? To Catholics it means following Jesus' commandments and believing when Jesus said "you are Peter and upon this Rock I build my Church" (paraphrasing). Believes in Jesus alone is a BIG and VAGUE mantra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 09:54 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Default Does Heaven wait for the Catholic Church to declare sainthood to people?

What an absurdly disrespectful question. I suspect it may not have been asked with Christian sincerity and love. The lack of knowledge and misinformation about Catholicism here in the forum is quite disgraceful. I suspect it is the result of biased Protestant indoctrination. Saints are people who are recognized for their Christ-like lives and impact on others. They are not worshiped.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:59 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
i really would if i could. Prejudice is hard to break down though.
ok

Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 PM

796 posts, read 858,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Here you go!!!

Catholics ask Mary and other saints to intercede for them to God on their behalf, in much the same way Protestants, Jews and many other religions ask other people to pray for them or for our loved ones. Catholics believe that saints, as paragons of virtue, are particularly well-suited to intercede on a person's behalf.

Hope that helps.
No there is big difference between asking a fellow believer to pray with us and in praying to a dead person. Jesus told us to pray to the Father and the Roman organization teaches to pray to dead people. Not the same religion.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:04 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
No there is big difference between asking a fellow believer to pray with us and in praying to a dead person. Jesus told us to pray to the Father and the Roman organization teaches to pray to dead people. Not the same religion.
Can you please quote where the Catholic Church says that? Please quote an official source?

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2013, 10:05 PM

796 posts, read 858,919 times
Quote:
Can you please quote where the Catholic Church says that? Please quote an official source?

Thanks!
So you say that members of the Roman organization do not pray to Mary? Is that what your trying to claim?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:13 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Thanks!
Julian, You are dealing with rote dogma that has been indoctrinated against Catholicism. There is no sincere and open-minded questioning involved. You will only get the false beliefs and invectives repeated against the Catholic Church. Apparently it is not a sin to falsely witness against Catholics and misrepresent their faith and practices . . . if you have the one and only Protestant truth on your side.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:26 PM

11 posts, read 11,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Anyone who believes in Jesus alone for their salvation is a saint according to the bible. Catholics do not believe this.
I'm sorry but I'm pretty familiar with the Bible, and it really doesn't say that. If you disagree, would you mind posting chapter and verse? Thanks.

Angela

Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 PM

794 posts, read 846,804 times
Quote:
Here you go!!!

Catholics ask Mary and other saints to intercede for them to God on their behalf, in much the same way Protestants, Jews and many other religions ask other people to pray for them or for our loved ones. Catholics believe that saints, as paragons of virtue, are particularly well-suited to intercede on a person's behalf.

Hope that helps.
The angel greeted Mary, nothing more. In fact more than half of the translations don't even use the word hail in that verse. It was not a "Hail" in the sense of she was royalty or a figure of authority. You don't have to pray to her or anyone else. You have access to God through Jesus only.

Who is the Queen of Heaven?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:39 PM

794 posts, read 846,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
What exactly does "believes in Jesus" mean to you?
It means to trust in Jesus alone for your salvation. The work of Jesus at the cross is a finished work, never to be repeated. You are saved by grace and grace alone. Nowhere does Jesus say follow God's law to be saved. He only ever said those that believe in Him will be saved. As I have said, when you rest in the finished work of Christ then holiness happens by accident in the life of a believer. But how can holiness manifests through faith if you're always working to make it happen? Jesus rebuked this before the Pharisees and told them their works will never save them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity