Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: does-protesting-gay-marriage-advance-the-gospel?
Yes 12 17.91%
No 50 74.63%
Other, I explain in the post. 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 06:12 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,503,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
How do you know it doesn't advance the gospel?
It incites people and such an action leads to public arguments and bashing by and of both sides and burries the Gospel message in worthless arguing.

If asked by someone we answer, beyond that making a public issue, that leads to unrest, damages the message and the ability to deliver it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,260,539 times
We must preach the gospel to the lost, and teach the particulars to the saved. As Jesus said, there's no point in cleaning the outside before the inside.

Salvation first, then comes the teaching.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:02 AM

281 posts, read 311,556 times
I don't think true Christians should be pushing for any political agenda at all. Christians are not really supposed to be in tangled in politics, since they are waiting for Jesus to come and take over rulership of the whole earth anyway. So, if the government wants to give gay people the right to marry, so be it. If the government wants to get 4 people the right to marry each other, so be it. That's not for people following Christianity to decide, since they should have already known that the world was going to get more and more wicked as time goes on.

What amazes me is how people want to take the Bible and rework it to be accepting of gay people. Or rather, the behavior of gay people. Every time homosexuality is mentioned in the Bible, it's mention in a bad light. Not just in a bad light, it flat out says don't do these things. So, where is the confusion? If you don't want to listen to what the Bible says, then don't. But stop trying to rework it to say something else. I could care less about the political agendas. Make all the rules you want that benefit gay people. Just stop trying to tamper with the Bible.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:44 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,440,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Troy View Post
yoga is sinful. I don't know this Catholic priests reasons for saying that, as I am unfamiliar with the story, but yoga was a form of eastern religion expression.
I think "was" might be the most important sentence in that quote from you there. That peope do yoga for health reasons today has little to do with any "religious expression" at all. They simply do it because there are physical health benefits to adopting and maintaining the poses. Nothing more. Nothing less.

If _that_ is sinful in your personal religion - then the opening sentence to your entire post might not be as true as you might hope. Just because a religion adopted a practice - that does not mean that practice is automatically religious. Many religions practice DANCE for example - yet how many Christians are claiming dancing to be sinful? Few I think - though they exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Please show me where it says that in the Bible?
I think they might be trying the 10 commandments on that one - in that since yoga originated as a religious practice - that engaging in it is therefore seen as false gods - idolatory - and so forth.

Eating bread is part of Christian relgiious practices though - but I do not see Muslims condeming that because it happened to be something another religion do.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:03 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,034,525 times
Quote:
I don't think true Christians should be pushing for any political agenda at all. Christians are not really supposed to be in tangled in politics, since they are waiting for Jesus to come and take over rulership of the whole earth anyway. So, if the government wants to give gay people the right to marry, so be it. If the government wants to get 4 people the right to marry each other, so be it. That's not for people following Christianity to decide, since they should have already known that the world was going to get more and more wicked as time goes on.
I disagree. Where does the Bible forbid Christians to be involved with politics? Granted I think there are certain aspects of politics that are ungodly, but it's more about the heart of the people than politics itself that is the real issue. The thing is though, is it really sinful to be American? Are you advocating that we should not vote? I mean voting is part of the political process, is it not?

No as Christians we should not be in the business of telling people what to do, but if we have the opportunity to exercise our view of what is right and best for our nation, then why should we not express our views by at least voting? How do you proclaim the gospel if you don't believe it's our job to proclaim what's right or wrong? Again there is a difference to me from telling someone how to live versus being asked what I believe is right or wrong.

Quote:
What amazes me is how people want to take the Bible and rework it to be accepting of gay people. Or rather, the behavior of gay people. Every time homosexuality is mentioned in the Bible, it's mention in a bad light. Not just in a bad light, it flat out says don't do these things. So, where is the confusion? If you don't want to listen to what the Bible says, then don't. But stop trying to rework it to say something else. I could care less about the political agendas. Make all the rules you want that benefit gay people. Just stop trying to tamper with the Bible.
100% agree.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:18 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,663,736 times
Yes getting involved in politics does advance the gospel.

If Christians do not be the salt and light in this world to influence legislation that allows Christians to speak the faith, they will lose that ability.

A very good video I recommend everyone watching.. Atheists would love if Christians just buried there heads in the sand and let them run the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpLq...id=P9UMns7J4oY

Old 07-21-2014, 08:13 AM

The Pharisees were concerned with the Law and how people should act. Jesus told them they were wrong because you cannot save someone by forcing them to behave righteously. It is only by the inward change of Christ can people truly become righteous.

Jesus brought the gospel to the people, through His testimony, not through laws or politics. Besides, our calling is beyond the borders of the United States or whatever country you are in.

Matthew 28:16-20
And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.
The scripture tells us to obey the authorities placed over us, just as Jesus did. He told us to give to Caesar what is Caesars and to God what is Gods. Peter tells us how we should submit to Earthly authority.

1 Peter 2:13-25
Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people. Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-21-2014 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: Red font is for Moderator actions. Hope blue is OK.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
The Pharisees were concerned with the Law and how people should act. Jesus told them they were wrong because you cannot save someone by forcing them to behave righteously. It is only by the inward change of Christ can people truly become righteous.

Jesus brought the gospel to the people, through His testimony, not through laws or politics. Besides, our calling is beyond the borders of the United States or whatever country you are in.

Matthew 28:16-20
And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.
The scripture tells us to obey the authorities placed over us, just as Jesus did. He told us to give to Caesar what is Caesars and to God what is Gods. Peter tells us how we should submit to Earthly authority.

1 Peter 2:13-25
Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people. Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.
There goes voting as it is an attempt to make people do something (or make them not do it). PLus look where all the good christians voting have got us.................. they become shareres with the wicked ones they support.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-21-2014 at 08:44 AM..

Old 07-21-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
There goes voting as it is an attempt to make people do something (or make them not do it). PLus look where all the good christians voting have got us.................. they become shareres with the wicked ones they support.
Everyone has free will, which is how God created us. Everyone has the choice to accept or reject the gospel of Christ. Jesus commanded us to preach it to as many people as we can and allow the Holy Spirit to work within them. Laws cannot change hearts.

There is nothing wrong with voting, because it is a natural part of our government and you are not being disobedient to authority by voting. However, there is no law that could be passed to save someone's soul.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post

There is nothing wrong with voting, because it is a natural part of our government and you are not being disobedient to authority by voting. However, there is no law that could be passed to save someone's soul.
Making it a natural right in any Country does not make it right. However once you do you become a sharer with the one you vote into office, and if he does what is wrong before God in that position, you share the guilt for helping him get there.

NIV 1 Timothy 5:22 Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity