Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2014, 07:36 AM

88,741 posts, read 85,100,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Paul was selected by Christ to take the gospel to the Gentiles. Peter, who walked with Jesus, confirmed Paul's words as gospel. I would warn you not to dismiss any part of scripture.
I don't dismiss any part of scripture. I just don't believe everything in it is the inerrant Word of God. It's often ABOUT God, or TO God, but it's not God. It is a collection of writings, important and sacred to the Christian faith, but not God and not the only way to God.

But note--you are doing above exactly what I pointed out is the problem--demonstrating an inability to have the conversation without biblical reference. See what i mean?

Please note, I'm not trying to bait you, just asking that you open your eyes a little to the idea that God is bigger than what can be contained in the pages of a book.

Just a suggestion. Try an experiment. Put the book down, say for a week. There will be plenty of it to take in your head, since you've likely studied it as we all do. But try to live your faith by watching and listening for God in other ways than leafing through the pages for some phrase or quote to strike you. I guarantee you will find new ways of hearing and seeing "the Word".

Peace.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-30-2014 at 07:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 10:13 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,257,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't dismiss any part of scripture. I just don't believe everything in it is the inerrant Word of God. It's often ABOUT God, or TO God, but it's not God. It is a collection of writings, important and sacred to the Christian faith, but not God and not the only way to God.

But note--you are doing above exactly what I pointed out is the problem--demonstrating an inability to have the conversation without biblical reference. See what i mean?

Please note, I'm not trying to bait you, just asking that you open your eyes a little to the idea that God is bigger than what can be contained in the pages of a book.

Just a suggestion. Try an experiment. Put the book down, say for a week. There will be plenty of it to take in your head, since you've likely studied it as we all do. But try to live your faith by watching and listening for God in other ways than leafing through the pages for some phrase or quote to strike you. I guarantee you will find new ways of hearing and seeing "the Word".

Peace.
Are you suggesting that God will somehow reveal Himself to be contrary to the Scripture?

Old 08-30-2014, 10:39 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Are you suggesting that God will somehow reveal Himself to be contrary to the Scripture?
Maybe, if you pray for guidance and wisdom and discernment, your God will reward you with clarity of mind and you'll begin to recognize the biblical wheat from the chaff - like 90% of the Christians on the planet have already managed to do.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Maybe, if you pray for guidance and wisdom and discernment, your God will reward you with clarity of mind and you'll begin to recognize the biblical wheat from the chaff - like 90% of the Christians on the planet have already managed to do.
Nah, broad road's not for me, thanks.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:32 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
Quote:
Nah, broad road's not for me, thanks.
Translated: Common sense is for other people.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
God will reveal himself to be MORE than the written word.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
God will reveal himself to be MORE than the written word.
God is so much more than His Word, as I have a personal relationship with Him. However, He never changes and will never contradict Himself. It is only Satan who desires to re-write the Word of God to lead people astray.
"For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds."

Old 08-30-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
God is so much more than His Word, as I have a personal relationship with Him. However, He never changes and will never contradict Himself. It is only Satan who desires to re-write the Word of God to lead people astray.
"For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds."
LOL, you just can't help yourself, can you! Have a great day.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
LOL, you just can't help yourself, can you! Have a great day.
If you mean I can't help myself from following God, then guilty as charged. I take it as a supreme compliment.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:32 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,451,457 times
Quote:
If you mean I can't help myself from following God, then guilty as charged. I take it as a supreme compliment.
Some people do not want to follow God. They want it their way. Elevating themselves to equality with God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity