Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 02:15 PM

64,026 posts, read 40,336,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
And please do not say that I am trying to make this thread about Universalism. when there have been many posts on it and you have said nothing. God bless and peace.
Just so you know that you are loved out here in C-D land, Shana . . . even if the discussion does get contentious with some in here. God Bless, sister keep spreading the love of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 02:15 PM

20,460 posts, read 12,853,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's one example. Your posts have provided hundreds of others.
LOL! I'm sure that was difficult for you to type (bolded above). It's obvious you have an agenda here.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:17 PM

64,026 posts, read 40,336,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Explain the faulty logic? How do you know who wrote what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I asked the same question three pages back.
And your answer IS???

Old 07-30-2014, 02:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,284,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
LOL! I'm sure that was difficult for you to type (bolded above). It's obvious you have an agenda here.
Not difficult at all. Virtually every self-identified Christian in this forum has posted scripture they believe trumps someone else's. Or thunders righteously that their interpretation of same trumps someone else's. It goes on here, all day, every day.

As to the bolded, I'd be obliged if you'd tell me what you think it is because it's not at all obvious to me.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:31 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,530,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Jimmie, Buddha is not God, but he knew to love your enemies without knowing Jesus Christ or reading the scriptures.

Even if thieves carve you limb from limb with a double-handed saw, if you make your mind hostile you are not following my teaching.
Kamcupamasutta, Majjhima-Nikkaya I ~ 28-29

What does this tell us? It tells us if a person seeks after God, God will reveal his way to them. The LORD looketh on the heart not what you label yourself with.
It tells us that people like you do not take seriously that God hates sin and the sinner who refuses to believe the truth and follow in their evilness.
Deuteronomy 12:31
You must not worship the Lord your God in their way, because in worshiping their gods,
they do all kinds of detestable things the Lord hates.

Exodus 20:5
You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God,
punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

Deuteronomy 4:19
And when you look up to the sky and see the sun, the moon and the stars—all the heavenly array—do not be enticed into bowing down to them and worshiping things the Lord your God has apportioned to all the nations under heaven.
and since Jesus is God, what did he say:
2 Kings 17:39
Rather, worship the Lord your God;

Matthew 4:10
Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written:
Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’ ”

Old 07-30-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
And please do not say that I am trying to make this thread about Universalism. when there have been many posts on it and you have said nothing. God bless and peace.
You do it so often that you don't probably realize that you're doing it, for example the Prodigal Son was not told to be linked to
yet God still loved them. They were not cast out forever. We are told that all Israel will be saved in the end.
Only being so heavily influenced by universalism can somehow that even being applicable.

As far as I can recall, the only other people who have actively spoke to the topic has been those of us whose position is well known being against it.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:50 PM

37,342 posts, read 28,401,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It tells us that people like you do not take seriously that God hates sin and the sinner who refuses to believe the truth and follow in their evilness.
Deuteronomy 12:31
You must not worship the Lord your God in their way, because in worshiping their gods,
they do all kinds of detestable things the Lord hates.

Exodus 20:5
You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God,
punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

Deuteronomy 4:19
And when you look up to the sky and see the sun, the moon and the stars—all the heavenly array—do not be enticed into bowing down to them and worshiping things the Lord your God has apportioned to all the nations under heaven.
and since Jesus is God, what did he say:
2 Kings 17:39
Rather, worship the Lord your God;

Matthew 4:10
Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written:
Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’ ”
I knew someone like yourself would jump all over this. Who is worshipping another God, did you not read what i clearly said that Buddha is not God but he knew somehow he knew it was right and the way of God to love your enemies without ever having a bible. Why do you not answer the question i posed, rather than ranting about how much your god hates folks.

Quote:
Jimmie, Buddha is not God, but he knew to love your enemies without knowing Jesus Christ or reading the scriptures.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:04 PM

14,922 posts, read 17,260,626 times
God hated Esau:

Romans 9: 6 But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For they are not all Israel who are descended from Israel; 7 nor are they all children because they are Abraham’s [d]descendants, but: "[e]through Isaac your [f]descendants will be named." 8 That is, it is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are regarded as [g]descendants. 9 For this is the word of promise: "At this time I will come, and Sarah shall have a son." 10 And not only this, but there was Rebekah also, when she had conceived twins by one man, our father Isaac; 11 for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God’s purpose according to His choice would [h]stand, not [i]because of works but [j]because of Him who calls, 12 it was said to her, "The older will serve the younger." 13 Just as it is written, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."

Notes

"The use of "hate" in the Bible as an example of linguistic extreme in an Eastern culture. There is no word, he notes, for "like" in the Arabic tongue. "...[T]o us Orientals the only word which can express and cordial inclination of approval is 'love'." The word is used even of casual acquaintances. Extreme language is used to express even moderate relationships.
Luke 14:26 falls into a category of "extreme language," the language of absoluteness used to express a preference, and may refer to disattachment, indifference, or nonattachment without any feelings of revulsion involved. " Abraham Rihbany (The Syrian Christ, 98f

Genesis 29:30-31
And he went in also unto Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years. And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren.

If Jacob had literally hated Rachel, he would have never married her.

God uses linguistic hyperbole when He says that He hates Esau. He is condescending to speak in that language, culture. God made a choice between Jacob and Esau before they were born, and Jesus died for both of them, so how would He literally hate either one? He made a choice of one boy over the other according to His purposes. This does not mean that he literally hated Esau.

"Within these scriptures we begin to see clues about what God really means by "hating Esau." Obviously God is using "linguistic hyperbole" to illustrate His choice before either son had been born, before either had done good or evil. This verse has nothing to do with lustful human hatred from a deeply wicked heart. God hated this world of sinners, yet he loved those same sinners. From a human emotional perspective, it is a contradiction. Ancient Semitic people understood exactly how these love/hate statements were intended according to their language traditions: "the language of absoluteness to express a preference." S. Tipton

The Barnes Commentary :
"Have I hated" - This does not mean any positive hatred; but that he had preferred Jacob, and had withheld from Esau those privileges and blessings which he had conferred on the posterity of Jacob.
Merciful Truth : Does God Hate You, Sinner?

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 07-30-2014 at 03:18 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 03:14 PM

14,922 posts, read 17,260,626 times
Quote:

You do it so often that you don't probably realize that you're doing it, for
example the Prodigal Son was not told to be linked to

yet God still loved them. They were not cast out forever.
We are told that all Israel will be saved in the end.
No, Twin, you were the one the brought up me trying to distort the scriptures to mean that unbelievers would have the same inheritance as believers. I used these passages to show that nonbelievers would not have all that believers have. The prodigal son did not enjoy all the elder son did. He missed out on some things because of his actions. Those who rejected the gospel because they wanted to be under the law, missed out on some things, too, the inheritance, yet, just like the prodigal son, they are not to be cast off forever. The prodigal son returned and the father welcomed him. The Jews who were cast off will return too. They did not enjoy all that the elder son or believers enjoy. Believers have an inheritance. We have the blessings associated with knowing God in this age and in the age to come. We are to reign with Jesus. Nonbelievers will not have this. Being "hated" does not mean that one is not loved by God that one is forever estranged. God bless and peace.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I knew someone like yourself would jump all over this. Who is worshipping another God, did you not read what i clearly said that Buddha is not God but he knew somehow he knew it was right and the way of God to love your enemies without ever having a bible. Why do you not answer the question i posed, rather than ranting about how much your god hates folks.
One can not know "somehow he knew it was right and the way of God to love your enemies without ever having a bible." .... for the heart is evil all the time and without faith it is impossible to please God.

So what it means is that being humanistic lovey dovey has no value to God.
The person who trusts anything other than the Triune God is arrogant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity