Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Thank you for a thoughtful and insightful post. I've not seen you espousing much truth(?) --- but, your anger against Christianity and most Christians (whom you perhaps perceive as hypocritical(?)) seems quite evident. It also seems that in the past you have vehemently stated that you are a non-Christian ---

Given these factors, one wonders if you are actually seeking to espouse truth and expose hypocrisy and lies ... or simply to rant at Christians.
Wonder all you like.

Those who see truly, know my purpose.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:26 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
They find mocking and belittling Christians or the Bible as a way to validate their non-belief.
That's not what the regulars over in the Atheism & Agnosticism forum say about why they are who they are or how they came to their current state of non-belief.

There were two threads in the past few months where these things were discussed, and not a single poster was interested in belittling or mocking Christians. Also, they don't seem to think there is any reason they should have to validate their positions.

//www.city-data.com/forum/athei...ised-what.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/athei...osticisim.html

Old 11-06-2014, 03:36 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,167,331 times
Quote:

There is a pervasive, ever-increasing drumbeat of ‘false doctrine’ and outright heresy on this ‘Christian Forum!’ (Atheism, Gnosticism, Universalism, etc.). It often seem like non-Christians and/or Bible-rejecters and detractors are so persistently vocal here, that they sidetrack almost every thread and dominate the forum with their secular nonsense....

There are a host of 'Religion and Spirituality, Atheism and other forums on
CD - along with a wide range of other topic-relevant forums. But, most
of the regular detractors on the Christian forum are NOT here discuss
Christianity or any of its relevant doctrines or beliefs. It is simply to mock
and ridicule Christians and their beliefs.
I am a believer and I believe in the restoration of all to God through Jesus Christ. It is not secular nonsense. That may be your perspective but it is not the perspective of many Christians This belief is scripturally based and it is very revelant to Christianity.

"The Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge (1908) by Schaff-Herzog says in volume 12, on page 96, "In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six theological schools, of which four (Alexandria, Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa, or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is not known."
http://www.tentmaker.org/books/EarlyChristianView.html

I don't believe that anyone is to be condemned for having a belief that may differ from your belief on this subject. This belief is a part of my faith as a Christian and I believe that the forum rules state that:

"By outright attacking another member's beliefs in their interpretation of, and understanding of Christianity, you are attacking that person. You are attacking that person inasmuch as their beliefs contribute greatly to who they are as people. This will no longer be tolerated. Despite the inevitable disagreements among members, these disagreements must be constructed in one's posts, where the member him/herself is not personally attacked for what they believe"

Do I disagree with the teaching of eternal hell and eternal death and do I believe that they go against what is presented in the scriptures and with Christianity. Yes I do as do many other Christians, but I don't disagree with your right to post here and with your right to share what you believe based on your understanding of the scriptures. I don't suggest that you are a detractor, a Bible rejecter, or that you are not a believer for having this belief.

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 11-06-2014 at 04:18 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 03:42 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
If Christians are offended by this forum , then they should resist all pride and take it up the Lord Jesus , as that is what Lord Jesus would have them do

Old 11-06-2014, 03:58 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The forum is to "discuss" Christianity.

It's not designed as an echo chamber for your particular version of it.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
TroutDude is right. That special priviledge is only reserved for the Atheist Forum. In that forum, it is against the rules to express your beliefs if they do not align with atheism. In here however, the atheists are allowed free reign to spread their humanism.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:19 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
TroutDude is right. That special priviledge is only reserved for the Atheist Forum. In that forum, it is against the rules to express your beliefs if they do not align with atheism. In here however, the atheists are allowed free reign to spread their humanism.
From Wiki:

Humanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over established doctrine or faith (fideism).

I'm sure your rock-solid faith will continue to serve as an effective vaccination against this horror.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:22 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
From Wiki:

Humanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over established doctrine or faith (fideism).

I'm sure your rock-solid faith will continue to serve as an effective vaccination against this horror.

You stay classy, TD, as always.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:23 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Christians are Christians ... regardless of the church they attend -- Why would Catholics not be welcome on the Christian forum?
The OP said:

Quote:
There is a pervasive, ever-increasing drumbeat of ‘false doctrine’ and outright heresy on this ‘Christian Forum!’

Christianity asserts that there is one source of Truth and that is the Bible, the inspired, inerrant Word of the living God, the only infallible rule of faith and practice
Catholics use not only the Bible but also tradition and ongoing theological development. The OP is espousing sola scriptura as a necessary condition to be considered Christian. The idea that Catholics are not really Christians is by no means very uncommon.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:33 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
People like you and mockers have overtaken this forum.
Explain "people like you".

Old 11-06-2014, 04:37 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,167,331 times
Someone has said that universalism and mockers have taken over this forum. If I am not mistaken I only see 2 threads on page 1 currently discussing universalism (although I haven't visited every thread) so I don't know how this statement can be true. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity