Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 06:26 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, there's always more to be said.

How about a reminder that the sins of Sodom and Gomorrah are not the POINT of the story?

Change the sin to...oh, I don't know...plain old murder or something. That's not what matters. What matters is that a) the cities have to be destroyed in a frightening and widespread manner, causing the need for Lot and his family to flee to somewhere remote, and b) Lot's wife has to be removed from the scene so that we end up with Lot and his two daughters isolated from other people, so that c) the daughters will become impregnated by their father--GIVING BIRTH TO THE FOREFATHERS OF THE AMMONITES AND MOABITES.

That these enemies of Israel are descended from two inbred bastards is the whole point of this story. The rest is just how you get there.
This is a very good point. Most of us totally ignore this or, more to the point, have NO IDEA what occurred just after the destruction of S&G. The majority of Christians concentrate on the angels under the threat of gang rape by the inhabitants (NOT JUST THE MALES!) of S&G just so they can vilify present-day gay people!

Old 03-29-2016, 12:29 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
When fundamentalists begin losing the Scripture debate--and they almost always end up there because of the convolutions in their biblical thinking, they resort to defending their position by quoting scripture that states "other" christians who STUDY the Bible are "deluded," and start talking about end times.

They are sunk in their own delusions regarding other people's sins, their own fearfulness, their screaming "nuh-unh" about the plethora of Scripture that indicates God isn't as hung up about sex as they are so they won't have to leave what is comfortable, and they sit in church drinking in what someone else says they should believe.

I've urged them to study for themselves. That's how I escaped from it to find freedom in Jesus Christ. And I certainly have some doubts about many things.

Smart people are always full of doubts which give rise to questions. Stupid people are always full of confidence, and dismiss questions as irrelevant.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:04 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
When fundamentalists begin losing the Scripture debate--and they almost always end up there because of the convolutions in their biblical thinking, they resort to defending their position by quoting scripture that states "other" christians who STUDY the Bible are "deluded," and start talking about end times.

They are sunk in their own delusions regarding other people's sins, their own fearfulness, their screaming "nuh-unh" about the plethora of Scripture that indicates God isn't as hung up about sex as they are so they won't have to leave what is comfortable, and they sit in church drinking in what someone else says they should believe.

I've urged them to study for themselves. That's how I escaped from it to find freedom in Jesus Christ. And I certainly have some doubts about many things.

Smart people are always full of doubts which give rise to questions. Stupid people are always full of confidence, and dismiss questions as irrelevant.
I think it is important to note that the condition you describe is not exclusive to one particular breed of Christian. On important, doctrinal issues, a stand has to be made, a side chosen. On the peripheral, unimportant issues there is room for liberty. This has plagued the body of Christ from the beginning as indicated in Romans 14, and we won't be the ones to iron it all out here.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:40 AM

42 posts, read 24,005 times
This is a tough religious and philosophical qestion. We're looking at gnerations of training and worship that points to traditional marriage and relationships. I condemn nobody for adhering to something like that.
In my case, I see hatred and murder and torture in the world.
I see lives destroyed and families broken.
Seeing this, I looked inside and decided that in my own case, love. Any real love between two people is a positive thing in such a turmoil filled world.
That said, there is one unforgivable sin:
It's not suicide and its not homosexuality.
I love and pray for all of Gods's children. Color, race, orientation, or any other label still are our brothers and sisters on this big blue ball of chaos.
We're all in this together.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:14 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
I am nearly speechless that you have such a poor understanding of God's Word. And truly am speechless with regard to your creative fiction regarding the names of Sodom and Gommorah.

The Jews understand Sodom to mean "Flaming," and Gommorah to mean "rebellious people." Since it is their language I propose to have more confidence in their historical understanding than the nonsense you posted. The very meaning of the names indicates a high probability that the tale is allegorical.

Since you refuse to interpret Scripture with Scripture and turn to a fictional explanation, let's look at God's Word:

The Bible itself expressly describes the sin of Sodom elsewhere as radical inhospitality. According to the prophet Ezekiel, the real “guilt” of the Sodomites was the fact that, although they had “pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease,” they “did not aid the poor and needy” and were “haughty” (Ezekiel 16:49-50). Similarly, the Letter to the Hebrews warns Christians by alluding to the true sin of the Sodomites as inhospitality: “Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it” (Hebrews 13:2).

St. Jerome, the distinguished fourth-century Doctor of the Church, biblical translator, and author of the Vulgate Bible, described the primary sin of Sodom as “pride, bloatedness, the abundance of all things, leisure and delicacies.” (See “Commentaria in Hiezechielem” 5.16.48-51, as translated by Mark D. Jordan in The Invention of Sodomy in Christian Theology [Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1997], at 33 n.11.)

I'm sorry you have been so misled. I was, too, for many, many years until I decided a preacher I might let inspire me with a good sermon, but no preacher was going to form my theology. I grew up in a time when there was never a word spoken from the pulpit about homosexuality. In the last 35-40 years it has been vogue to blame homosexuals from the pulpit of everything from judgment on America for 9/11 to destroying the marriage of every heterosexual couple in the country.

The reason that was successful in conservative Christians' imaginative minds is because 1) they don't really do any independent research on what Scripture says, and, 2) those same people are basically fearful souls, dreading change, worried about other people's "evil" ways, and seeking someone to blame for both. In my youth that was communism. When that threat began to die with the split of the old Soviet Union, the preachers seeking money needed to stir up new fears to keep their coffers full of greenbacks. Jerry Falwell once sent out a fundraising letter declaring he needed money to fight the "homosexual agenda destroying America." He found success with a lot of insecure people and his campaigns stayed in that same vein. Pat Robertson and James Dodson caught on that fearful people will shell out the bucks and the race was on between the three of them as to who could do the better job of demonizing a very small minority of our population.

I'm sorry but you've been duped. It is not pleasant to discover that. And I'm sorry you think the mind is an evil thing. I believe God gave us a mind so that we could use it---particularly regarding Scripture. If you are unable to see from the Bible itself that inhospitalty was the major sin of Sodom and Gomorrah, then you must have shut your mind from any kind of reasoning. Hospitality was a primary prerequisite for any cities widely scattered in a desert environment. It could be the difference between life and death. God wanted people who were kind and generous to others. Scripture records numerous times about how the Hebrews were to treat sojourners in their country.

Conservative "Christians" today are flocking to follow a political character named Donald Trump who wants no sojourners in our nation---to keep us "safe." If the judgment of God is to fall on us for anything--it would be because the very people claiming to belong to God, cannot understand the real message of Sodom and Gommorah.

Well, looks like today is the day.

Principles in the Word have nothing to do with creative fiction and everything to do with allowing the SPIRIT of G-d to reveal those principles. But first you must HAVE the Spirit, AND SUBMIT to it, which is a major stumbling block if you don't have either one going for you.

Perhaps you overlooked this in your man-pleasing spirit quest....lack of "hospitality" was not the only thing they were guilty of.

Jer. 23:14 14 I have seen also in the prophets of Jerusalem an horrible thing: THEY COMMIT ADULTERY, AND WALK IN LIES: THEY STRENGTHEN ALSO THE HANDS OF EVILDOERS, THAT NONE DOTH RETURN FROM HIS WICKEDNESS: they are all of them unto me as Sodom, and the inhabitants thereof as Gomorrah.

Sound like anyone you know? By the way, adultery is not just committed by the genders, our soul is as a female meant to be faithful and impregnated by the Spirit of G-d, and when we join ourselves to that which is not like Him it is the same as adultery, and the seeds we received from that which we have joined ourselves to, those seeds also reproduce.

Ok, let's talk about the REAL meaning behind the hospitality. Do you REALLY think that He gets all bent out of shape over you not offering a shady tent to a stranger? It's a LESSER offense than the reality behind it, remembering that EVERYTHING has a spiritual ROOT, not just a fruit you can readily spot. We have to go to Acts 17 to see the spiritual ROOT....

Acts 17: 16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.
17 Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons , and in the market daily * * with them that met with him .

18 Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said , What will * this babbler say * ? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.
19 And they took him, and brought him unto Areopagus, saying , May we know what this new doctrine, whereof thou speakest , is?
20 For thou bringest certain strange things to our ears: we would know therefore what these things mean * * .

21 (For all the Athenians and strangers which were there spent their time in nothing else, but either to tell , or to hear some new thing.)

22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said , Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.

23 For as I passed by , and beheld your devotions *, I found an altar with this * inscription , TO THE UNKNOWN GOD.

Now what you need to see here is that the men of Mars Hill were only interested in telling or hearing some new thing, they spent their time in NOTHING ELSE. They were not interested in being both a hearer and a doer (of the Word), they only wanted it to tickle their ears (APPEAL TO THE FLESH/Sodom, never going beyond the outside of the ear to penetrate down into the heart), appeal to their INTELLECTUAL (mind/Gomorrah) curiosity. Notice also that is says these men, were WHOLLY GIVEN OVER TO IDOLATRY.

G-d FORBID it should be something with the LIFE of the Spirit in it by which they would be forever changed from the INSIDE OUT, that would be ENGRAFTED into their heart/virgin soul, ie. BE ONE WITH IN A FRUITFUL UNION capable of reproducing the nature of the pattern Son: no, they would prefer it be a UNION INCAPABLE OF PRODUCING NEW LIFE. Flesh begets flesh and Spirit begets Spirit'; it's the law of the seed which cannot be broken = all seeds reproduce after their own kind.

An unfruitful union is exactly what happens when people only like to hear the sermonettes in the churches or elsewhere, but refuse to let the Word IMPREGNATE their heart/soul with the SEED of the Word, which is His Spirit. He said we (flesh) must decrease, so that He (Spirit) can increase.

A couple of you have asked me what measuring stick I use (hopefully for your sake's with a pure motive) and I told you. Well, here's another sure fire way to tell if you're being taught of the right spirit. Did the word or principle bring death to the flesh of you in some way, while AT THE SAME TIME (double edged sword), bring more life (freedom from the bondage engender by the flesh) to your spirit? Did it make you have to submit to decreasing in repentance? Because Satan has no interest in you decreasing to the flesh kingdom, only preferring that you increase because the more you do, the more dust he has to consume and he loves to go to and fro in your earth.

We see the truth of this with Lot and his family who were spared, because they not only took in (TO THEIR ABODE/HEART) the angels (means MESSAGES or messengers), they believed the Word (faith) given to them, and ACTED (works) upon it. And so we see that faith without works is DEAD, as is works without faith. Be ye a doer of the Word, not just a hearer only.

See, there are virgins that are virgins because they've kept themselves clean with each new revelation being unfolded and embraced wholeheartedly with repentance, and there are virgins that are virgins because they refused to allow themselves to be touched by the Spirit of the Word. Two guesses which one He's returning for, and the first guess doesn't count.

Remember the fig tree that doesn't produce fruit is CURSED and nigh unto BURNING, which is what Sodom means. Sodom and Gomorrah, our flesh and our mind, become a giant BURNT OFFERING, salted with fire, when we refuse to submit to the authority of the Spirit of G-d and His Word. This is the judgment with fire that the Word refers to, but that's for another subject and another day.

What you clearly don't comprehend is the Word is SPIRIT, written to our spirit, with the intent and pure motive of PRODUCING A SON AND HEIR. Who shall declare (means to show openly as opposed to VEILED) His generation? Father wants GRANDCHILDREN, get it?

And since He will not give His glory unto another IMAGE, any corrupt doctrine that falls short of the PERFECT IMAGE of the PATTERN SON which was MADE FROM THE WORD, mars that image, and like the pot that it is, must be broken and thrown on the scrap heap. As for the carnal mind, you still have not figured out that it is your enemy; the VERY BEST it can ever be is a servant to His Spirit, and left to it's unbridled reign, is what corrupts the Word that is Spirit. Which is why we are told to bring EVERY THOUGHT into captivity to the mind of Christ.

Think about it. Satan corrupted the Word that was spoken, Eve, a type of the virgin soul received it and accepted it and took it into herself and what happened? It brought death to the hearer instead of life. The same thing happens when you rely on your carnal mind to teach you the things that are IN AND OF the Spirit. IT HAS NEVER BEEN THERE SO HOW CAN IT TEACH YOU FROM A PLACE IT'S NEVER BEEN?

So point being, whether or not the physical sin is committed or not, if the spiritual precept is committed by the flesh of ANYONE, which includes their HEART, the price is the same. Which is why I have been steadfastly saying, that the heart of the priesthood (those that have received the baptism in His Spirit which IS the anointing required to serve as a priest) must ALSO be cleansed of the ROOT, and not just those busying themselves with the works of the FRUIT that is visible to everyone.

The principle being, that the body (those in the outer court=everyone NOT baptized into His Spirit) can only do what it "sees" (in the spirit, the soul is a spirit, too) it's head (those in inner court priesthood, baptized in His Spirit, set apart by outward anointing for service) do. The priesthood, by baptism of the Spirit, was baptized into being one with the Head, who is SPIRIT.

Which is why, hate and murder, for instance, are the same sin. One is the root (hate in the heart of priesthood), the other is the fruit (openly manifested by those in the outer court). So when they SEE you hate your brother IN YOUR HEART, they go out and murder theirs.

See, He's not only interested in the outside of the cup (all of mankind's VISIBLE works) being cleaned up, He's making sure the inside of the cup (all of the priesthood's hearts) be cleansed as well. So that in the day of judgment which is coming swiftly, NONE WILL HAVE AN EXCUSE, because the WHOLE BODY, gets cast into the fire.

And I don't blame you, either. It's not your fault that 95% of Christendom has NO CLUE what the message is, who it is to, and what it means, much less what it means to them PERSONALLY, other than a list of dos and don'ts, mostly don'ts. Again, this comes from refusing to make all things according to the pattern shown Moses in the mount, and refusing to use both the level (Word) and the plumbline (Spirit), instead leaning on the carnal minds of men to teach them. These 2 days/2000 years were the in-part realm, it could be no other way but a sifting for what is to come. He, on the other hand, has life to give and life more abundantly.

If any of you Christians out there can hear me in this, I would appreciate a thumbs up, as I am beginning to feel like I'm talking to the stones, only. Thanks, Peace

Last edited by Rbbi1; 03-29-2016 at 09:14 AM..

Old 03-29-2016, 08:38 AM

598 posts, read 358,116 times
For sure I hear you and am proud to count you as both friend and fellow servant

Unfortunately I cannot rep you yet

Old 03-29-2016, 09:04 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:

Or they post a wall of scripture as their "answer" and think that trumps reason, common sense and compassion.

I'd feel sorry for them if their delusions weren't so dangerous.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:41 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,576 times
thumbs up from me Rbbi1. When I came across the carnal mind versus mind of Christ teaching in Livelystone's book, I lapped it up.

I'm afraid the issue of lack of faith, poor spiritual understanding, and trolling by atheists is making CD Christianity a waste land, like Damascus. All I hear is "come out from them". He wants the company of prophets in the wilderness and will gather them there, by individually calling them. I count it as God's will and doing that I met you and Livelystone's on here - that is God connecting people one by one for His purpose, but the vast proportion of what goes on on here is drivel, ...chaff.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:13 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
thumbs up from me Rbbi1. When I came across the carnal mind versus mind of Christ teaching in Livelystone's book, I lapped it up.

I'm afraid the issue of lack of faith, poor spiritual understanding, and trolling by atheists is making CD Christianity a waste land, like Damascus. All I hear is "come out from them". He wants the company of prophets in the wilderness and will gather them there, by individually calling them. I count it as God's will and doing that I met you and Livelystone's on here - that is God connecting people one by one for His purpose, but the vast proportion of what goes on on here is drivel, ...chaff.
I will be terribly disappointed should you and they ever leave...

We are all praying and hoping others catch up and join us in the 21st century.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:10 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Well, looks like today is the day.

Principles in the Word have nothing to do with creative fiction and everything to do with allowing the SPIRIT of G-d to reveal those principles. But first you must HAVE the Spirit, AND SUBMIT to it, which is a major stumbling block if you don't have either one going for you.

Perhaps you overlooked this in your man-pleasing spirit quest....lack of "hospitality" was not the only thing they were guilty of.

Jer. 23:14 14 I have seen also in the prophets of Jerusalem an horrible thing: THEY COMMIT ADULTERY, AND WALK IN LIES: THEY STRENGTHEN ALSO THE HANDS OF EVILDOERS, THAT NONE DOTH RETURN FROM HIS WICKEDNESS: they are all of them unto me as Sodom, and the inhabitants thereof as Gomorrah.

Sound like anyone you know? By the way, adultery is not just committed by the genders, our soul is as a female meant to be faithful and impregnated by the Spirit of G-d, and when we join ourselves to that which is not like Him it is the same as adultery, and the seeds we received from that which we have joined ourselves to, those seeds also reproduce.

Ok, let's talk about the REAL meaning behind the hospitality. Do you REALLY think that He gets all bent out of shape over you not offering a shady tent to a stranger? It's a LESSER offense than the reality behind it, remembering that EVERYTHING has a spiritual ROOT, not just a fruit you can readily spot. We have to go to Acts 17 to see the spiritual ROOT....

Acts 17: 16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.
17 Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons , and in the market daily * * with them that met with him .

18 Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said , What will * this babbler say * ? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.
19 And they took him, and brought him unto Areopagus, saying , May we know what this new doctrine, whereof thou speakest , is?
20 For thou bringest certain strange things to our ears: we would know therefore what these things mean * * .

21 (For all the Athenians and strangers which were there spent their time in nothing else, but either to tell , or to hear some new thing.)

22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said , Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.

23 For as I passed by , and beheld your devotions *, I found an altar with this * inscription , TO THE UNKNOWN GOD.

Now what you need to see here is that the men of Mars Hill were only interested in telling or hearing some new thing, they spent their time in NOTHING ELSE. They were not interested in being both a hearer and a doer (of the Word), they only wanted it to tickle their ears (APPEAL TO THE FLESH/Sodom, never going beyond the outside of the ear to penetrate down into the heart), appeal to their INTELLECTUAL (mind/Gomorrah) curiosity. Notice also that is says these men, were WHOLLY GIVEN OVER TO IDOLATRY.

G-d FORBID it should be something with the LIFE of the Spirit in it by which they would be forever changed from the INSIDE OUT, that would be ENGRAFTED into their heart/virgin soul, ie. BE ONE WITH IN A FRUITFUL UNION capable of reproducing the nature of the pattern Son: no, they would prefer it be a UNION INCAPABLE OF PRODUCING NEW LIFE. Flesh begets flesh and Spirit begets Spirit'; it's the law of the seed which cannot be broken = all seeds reproduce after their own kind.

An unfruitful union is exactly what happens when people only like to hear the sermonettes in the churches or elsewhere, but refuse to let the Word IMPREGNATE their heart/soul with the SEED of the Word, which is His Spirit. He said we (flesh) must decrease, so that He (Spirit) can increase.

A couple of you have asked me what measuring stick I use (hopefully for your sake's with a pure motive) and I told you. Well, here's another sure fire way to tell if you're being taught of the right spirit. Did the word or principle bring death to the flesh of you in some way, while AT THE SAME TIME (double edged sword), bring more life (freedom from the bondage engender by the flesh) to your spirit? Did it make you have to submit to decreasing in repentance? Because Satan has no interest in you decreasing to the flesh kingdom, only preferring that you increase because the more you do, the more dust he has to consume and he loves to go to and fro in your earth.

We see the truth of this with Lot and his family who were spared, because they not only took in (TO THEIR ABODE/HEART) the angels (means MESSAGES or messengers), they believed the Word (faith) given to them, and ACTED (works) upon it. And so we see that faith without works is DEAD, as is works without faith. Be ye a doer of the Word, not just a hearer only.

See, there are virgins that are virgins because they've kept themselves clean with each new revelation being unfolded and embraced wholeheartedly with repentance, and there are virgins that are virgins because they refused to allow themselves to be touched by the Spirit of the Word. Two guesses which one He's returning for, and the first guess doesn't count.

Remember the fig tree that doesn't produce fruit is CURSED and nigh unto BURNING, which is what Sodom means. Sodom and Gomorrah, our flesh and our mind, become a giant BURNT OFFERING, salted with fire, when we refuse to submit to the authority of the Spirit of G-d and His Word. This is the judgment with fire that the Word refers to, but that's for another subject and another day.

What you clearly don't comprehend is the Word is SPIRIT, written to our spirit, with the intent and pure motive of PRODUCING A SON AND HEIR. Who shall declare (means to show openly as opposed to VEILED) His generation? Father wants GRANDCHILDREN, get it?

And since He will not give His glory unto another IMAGE, any corrupt doctrine that falls short of the PERFECT IMAGE of the PATTERN SON which was MADE FROM THE WORD, mars that image, and like the pot that it is, must be broken and thrown on the scrap heap. As for the carnal mind, you still have not figured out that it is your enemy; the VERY BEST it can ever be is a servant to His Spirit, and left to it's unbridled reign, is what corrupts the Word that is Spirit. Which is why we are told to bring EVERY THOUGHT into captivity to the mind of Christ.

Think about it. Satan corrupted the Word that was spoken, Eve, a type of the virgin soul received it and accepted it and took it into herself and what happened? It brought death to the hearer instead of life. The same thing happens when you rely on your carnal mind to teach you the things that are IN AND OF the Spirit. IT HAS NEVER BEEN THERE SO HOW CAN IT TEACH YOU FROM A PLACE IT'S NEVER BEEN?

So point being, whether or not the physical sin is committed or not, if the spiritual precept is committed by the flesh of ANYONE, which includes their HEART, the price is the same. Which is why I have been steadfastly saying, that the heart of the priesthood (those that have received the baptism in His Spirit which IS the anointing required to serve as a priest) must ALSO be cleansed of the ROOT, and not just those busying themselves with the works of the FRUIT that is visible to everyone.

The principle being, that the body (those in the outer court=everyone NOT baptized into His Spirit) can only do what it "sees" (in the spirit, the soul is a spirit, too) it's head (those in inner court priesthood, baptized in His Spirit, set apart by outward anointing for service) do. The priesthood, by baptism of the Spirit, was baptized into being one with the Head, who is SPIRIT.

Which is why, hate and murder, for instance, are the same sin. One is the root (hate in the heart of priesthood), the other is the fruit (openly manifested by those in the outer court). So when they SEE you hate your brother IN YOUR HEART, they go out and murder theirs.

See, He's not only interested in the outside of the cup (all of mankind's VISIBLE works) being cleaned up, He's making sure the inside of the cup (all of the priesthood's hearts) be cleansed as well. So that in the day of judgment which is coming swiftly, NONE WILL HAVE AN EXCUSE, because the WHOLE BODY, gets cast into the fire.

And I don't blame you, either. It's not your fault that 95% of Christendom has NO CLUE what the message is, who it is to, and what it means, much less what it means to them PERSONALLY, other than a list of dos and don'ts, mostly don'ts. Again, this comes from refusing to make all things according to the pattern shown Moses in the mount, and refusing to use both the level (Word) and the plumbline (Spirit), instead leaning on the carnal minds of men to teach them. These 2 days/2000 years were the in-part realm, it could be no other way but a sifting for what is to come. He, on the other hand, has life to give and life more abundantly.

If any of you Christians out there can hear me in this, I would appreciate a thumbs up, as I am beginning to feel like I'm talking to the stones, only. Thanks, Peace
I'm sorry you don't believe the Bible with regard to it's emphasis on hospitality:

Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it. (Heb 13:2) (direct reference to Genesis story of Lot in Sodom)

"But when you give a reception, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind,---" (Luke 14:13)

And he said, "Now behold, my lords, please turn aside into your servant's house, and spend the night, and wash your feet; then you may rise early and go on your way." They said however, "No, but we shall spend the night in the square." (Gen. 19:2)

He said to his daughters, "Where is he then? Why is it that you have left the man behind? Invite him to have something to eat." (Exodus 2:20)

Then Manoah said to the angel of the LORD, "Please let us detain you so that we may prepare a young goat for you." (Judges 13:15)

"The alien has not lodged outside, For I have opened my doors to the traveler. (Job 31:32)

And when she and her household had been baptized, she urged us, saying, "If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house and stay." And she prevailed upon us. (Acts 16:15)

And he brought them into his house and set food before them, and rejoiced greatly, having believed in God with his whole household. (Acts 16:34)

The natives showed us extraordinary kindness; for because of the rain that had set in and because of the cold, they kindled a fire and received us all. (Acts 28:12)

--having a reputation for good works; and if she has brought up children, if she has shown hospitality to strangers, if she has washed the saints' feet, if she has assisted those in distress, and if she has devoted herself to every good work. (I Tim. 5:10)

--contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality. (Rom. 12:13)

--but hospitable, loving what is good, sensible, just, devout, self-controlled, (Titus 1:8)

"Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry And bring the homeless poor into the house; When you see the naked, to cover him; And not to hide yourself from your own flesh?(Isaiah 58:7)
------------------------------------

The overwhelming evidence in Scripture is that hospitality was one of the most important of all traits for God's people.

Concentrating on sin of other people is exactly what Pharisees do. They aren't interested in hospitality. Instead they call it a "lesser" offense:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Do you REALLY think that He gets all bent out of shape over you not offering a shady tent to a stranger? It's a LESSER offense than the reality behind it
All sin is equally offensive to God--unless you are a Pharisee. Then the sin of others is more egregious than your own. Comparing adultery and homosexuality is a sin in itself--and self-righteous to boot. Faithful homosexual partners are no different than faithful heterosexual partners.

I've already provided the Hebrew definition of Sodom: FLAMING
and Gomorrah: REBELLIOUS PEOPLE

Just as the men of Sodom did, you are practicing inhospitality toward your gay brothers and sisters. As did they, you wish to dominate other people and order their lives around. And you are capable of ignoring the internal evidence of Scripture to believe something you copied and pasted from another writer.

You claim to have rejected fundamentalism, yet I've seen nothing but posts supportive of the positions those Pharisees hold---elevating the sins of other people, and failing to look inwards and be as merciful toward others as God has been toward you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity