Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 02:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You lefties ought to be happy with the way things are going.
That's exactly what the Bible-believers on the far-right said when LBJ signed the Civil Right Act of 1964.

Deja vu.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:22 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
That's I think one of the most potent lies satan is spreading in these days, denying the Word of God as the Word of God. It undermines everything our faith should be based upon, no stability left whatsoever, every wind of doctrine can lead you anywhere because there's no source of truth anymore.

But I am so glad that Peter so clearly confirms the Bible as fully inspired by God through the Holy Spirit. What an irrational guy right.. magical thinker. Or maybe you need to learn that the Word is the authority over us, as God is the authority over us, not we over God or His Word.

2 Peter 1:19-21 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

You also directly contradict what Paul is teaching Timothy, it's just so obvious that anyone who loves God also would love the Word of God and would uphold it instead of denying it. You are just incredibly deceived and deceiving others.

2 Timothy 3:13-17 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
It raises questions. What scripture are the authors referring to in these letters? The Torah and Tanakh? The letters they are writing at that moment? That doesn't make any sense. The writings that in the future will become the biblical canon? Other writings that were in circulation then but no longer exist now?

To non-fundamentalist Christians, the Word means Christ, not literally words on paper, and if something written doesn't hold water next to his primary command to love God and your neighbors, it may or may not be useful, but it is secondary. Always.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:24 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
Quote:
We just changed the definition of marriage to accommodate the gay population. You lefties ought to be happy with the way things are going.
Restrictions on equality make people less-than < not equal.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
The god of the bible does not accept homos. Its just that simple folks. Get over it and move on.
Neither, it seems, do ex-JWs who claim not to be Christian but adapt "vicar" as a moniker. I guess a certain amount of brainwashing resists removal.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:01 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
In the case of those who are not willing to use the ability to reason and acknowledge contradictions for what they are, it most certainly is remaining in a state of childish thinking.
Don't let up, Pleroo, even though the chance of any serious understanding being achieved with fundies is virtually non-existent. They do NOT reason.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:15 PM

689 posts, read 549,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
When you begin with a completely irrational premise you cannot find the truth. It is completely irrational to believe that the human-recorded, human-interpreted, human-compiled, human-transliterated, Bible is 100% the word of God. Such magical thinking is what has caused so much evil in the world. The ONLY Word of God is Jesus the Christ, period and He revealed the TRUE NATURE of God unambiguously by His life and especially His death. He showed us that God is agape love - unconditional love.
Wrong. Jesus defines it and demonstrated it. Anything that violates or is incompatible with agape love is wrong.
Do you mean it's only rational to assume a God who is incapable of maintaining His Word up to His own will?

Old 06-03-2016, 03:19 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
Do you mean it's only rational to assume a God who is incapable of maintaining His Word up to His own will?
Mystic dismisses ~50% of what Jesus said.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:24 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,047,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It raises questions. What scripture are the authors referring to in these letters? The Torah and Tanakh? The letters they are writing at that moment? That doesn't make any sense. The writings that in the future will become the biblical canon? Other writings that were in circulation then but no longer exist now?

To non-fundamentalist Christians, the Word means Christ, not literally words on paper, and if something written doesn't hold water next to his primary command to love God and your neighbors, it may or may not be useful, but it is secondary. Always.

What do you mean it's unclear 'no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation'. Ofcourse it makes sense, why do you think they wrote all of this down? Jesus even commands the apostle John to write down Revelation. The Scripture is also a testimony to itself, it doesn't contradict itself but comparing Scripture with Scripture you can see that Old and New Testament are both divinely inspired. So even if you take the limited view of the Old Testament, you can see if the New Testament has anything that contradicts it by comparing it to the Tanakh. You'll find it doesn't, the OT points towards Mashiach and the NT reveals the promised Mashiach as Yeshua. You can go and compare all the OT prophecies and compare them to NT accounts of Jesus Christ and you will see the New Testament is the fulfillment of the Old. So the authority of the New Testament backed up by the testimony of fulfillment of the OT in Christ, is the same.

Jesus Christ asks for our obedience to the Word of God, He upholds it when satan tempts Him to sin (Matthew 4). The Word of God everywhere testifies of Jesus Christ from Genesis to Revelation, it's silly to say you follow Christ but have no regard for the Bible as if those two contradict each other. They just contradict your selfmade religion and image of Christ.

I know I used to do that also when I was still a hypocritical "Christian".. which I have been for quite a long time.. and I know I just abused the name of 'Jesus' to suit my own convictions, and still feel quite righteous about myself. It really impressed people too, even got them to inquire about Christianity etc. But I didn't know the Lord at all. And I know that's what many are still trapped in, abusing the Name of our Lord as sort of a trump card to ignore the parts of the Bible that don't suit your 'agape' worldview, Gods Righteousness and Judgment etc.
I do know that I wasn't doing that intentionally, I was just a very blind hypocrite.. I really thought I was on quite a good spiritual road.. as so many do, but you know eventually the Word of God is what stopped me in my tracks. It pointed out the hypocrisy between what I confessed and claimed, and my own heart and life. I didn't know I was a sinner and I needed a Saviour before, I thought I was a pretty good person that just needed to follow an example to become even better. And I really wanted to get into heaven later I guess.. I can just tell you, that is a dangerous road. But it's the road I got on also because I didn't actually read the Bible, I just had alot of assumptions.. and I didn't think I needed to repent from my sin, it never even crossed my mind then, I didn't need a new heart.. I just wanted to feel righteous and follow an example that sounded holy.

Only after the Lord started convicting me of my sin, and also of the grace and love of Jesus Christ, did I become utterly disgusted with my own hypocritical lifestyle that contradicted Scripture, went right against Gods Holy will. One of the verses that struck me was: 1 Peter 1:20 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. I just was overwhelmed with my unholiness and Gods Holiness. And I realised to get to know God, I need to read and obey His Holy Word, and stop fooling with my own imaginations and ideas. And I started to read the Bible, and understand all those things I never understood, because of the Holy Spirit confirming Spiritual truth in my heart. I am so thankful that God saved me from that hypocrisy, I cannot tell you how thankful I am.. He renewed my heart to actually long for true holiness, even though I sin every day, I hate it now - I long to follow Christ, to obey His Word. And I need His mercy and power every day, keep my eye on the cross and not on myself. He has humbled me and changed me, by His Word and Spirit and I am just grateful for that undeserving grace and love.. and I will be for all eternity.

I pray you will too, God bless you.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:25 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's exactly what the Bible-believers on the far-right said when LBJ signed the Civil Right Act of 1964.

Deja vu.
And many more Bible believers cheered the landmark legislation. MLK was after all once of those Bible believing Christians.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:05 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:
Mystic dismisses ~50% of what Jesus said.
No, just 51% of what men wrote what they THINK Jesus might have said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity