Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:01 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,435,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
No so. Those "in Christ" are redeemed. Christ has washed away our sins. Those outside of Christ will have to stand before God on their own merit. Will that be enough?
So, because you have no proof to back up your claim that Christians enjoy a special relationship with the Creator that others don't, you want to fall back on the tired old threats. "My God's gonna get you! Just you wait and see!"

It's not going to work. I'm simply no longer frightened by the imaginary angry god people like you pull out to threaten others with, because obviously that god has no power in this life; it certainly will have no power in the next.

If we all have to "stand before God" someday, a God who is love and who is good and whose mercy endures FOREVER, as your bible claims, then YAY! I can't wait. Seriously. I won't be worrying about whether or not I merit anything. I'll be incredibly glad to have fallen into the hands of the God who is love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 10:01 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,717,745 times
Quote:
That's exactly what we do! We tell people that God redeems sinners, through Christ. To have the good news (John 3:16), you must explain the bad news (All have sinned).
And that is what real love is when you have been forgiven for your sin and your heart being open spiritually (born again) to this truth gives one such joy that they want to share all about the sin issue in the lives of mankind .
Leaving ppl and not saying anything about sin and to why Christ came and letting them live in their sin is the cruelest and most unloving thing any person, Christian could do .
But sharing with them what Christ has done for us that is the good news, that Christ came to forgive and redeem them from their sin is the most loving, caring thing anyone could do for everyone God leads into their path of life . And if one is obedient to this, look out, as He will lead many of ppl to hear this "good news ", amen !

Quote:
You say that because your theology glosses over man's sin problem. You believe it's really no big deal and that God wants us to feel better about ourselves. Sin is a big deal to God and that's why He sent His son to die for our sins. The good news is, because of that, mankind can be redeemed and have a personal relationship with our Creator.
Quote:
Seriously? You know of no one who's life was changed by Christ? I find that hard to believe. I witness that on a consistent basis.

Discussing Christianity is what we do here. Those discussions open up a lot of sensitive topics. No one likes to confront their sin problem or even admit they're a sinner, but it's the first step towards redemption.
Amen, jimmiej !

Well by reading all the replies it seems all the explaining is like tossing in the wind . And you will experience nothing but this rejection because of the unbelief of the sin issue, and so "For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false" (2 Thessalonians 2:11)
therefore they will argue with you and you can only say it or explain it so many times to the same ppl over and over again till you hear God says shake the dust off your feet and take with you your peace !
God only reveals and gives to those who want to love and believe Him !

Old 06-09-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
therefore they will argue with you and you can only say it or explain it so many times to the same ppl over and over again till you hear God says shake the dust off your feet and take with you your peace !
God only reveals and gives to those who want to love and believe Him !
I'm not shaking the dust off my feet, Cyber. I have hope that you all will listen some day. I'll keep trying to highlight the contradictory nature of believing in a god who is loving and who IS love and isn't holding the sins of the world against them, but is angry and hates sinners and is damning them to an eternity of unrelieved torment.

I'll keep trying to help you see that we are all in this together.

Last edited by Pleroo; 06-09-2016 at 10:33 AM..

Old 06-09-2016, 10:25 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,390,595 times
Quote:
You say that because your theology glosses over man's sin problem. You believe it's really no big deal and that God wants us to feel better about ourselves. Sin is a big deal to God and that's why He sent His son to die for our sins. The good news is, because of that, mankind can be redeemed and have a personal relationship with our Creator.
I have no theology. I know God wants us to know him more than you want to point out sin. You are fundamentalist to the core who cannot see the point I am making trumps your dead man's theology. Where sin abounds grace abounds much more..... In other words proclaim grace and it will do its perfect work, there is no perfect work in pointing out sin, calling out sin and telling those in unbelief they are going to hell if they are not agreeable to your theology. Yes I know truth as well as grace came by Jesus Christ, truth is not theology truth is the reality of God made known to you.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I'm not shaking the dust off my feet, Cyber. I have hope that you all will listen some day. I'll keep trying to highlight the contradictory nature of believing in an angry god who is loving and isn't holding the sins of the world against them but hates sinners and is damning them to an eternity of unrelieved torment.

You will have a long wait, pleroo, !
As eternity is a long time and one will have to make that choice sooner or later whether to believe God or compromise with their emotions in what is written whether you like it or not !

It is what it is regardless what you want to believe about God and keep trying to plush your ways on the child of God, it is what God says that we are to believe and because we will not compromise with our flesh, emotions, whatever you or this world will try to get the child of God to compromise in believing . Because in our hearts God is ultimately first and utmost that we believe Him and what is written and therefore God will continue to bless us with a stronger faith in Him ! And it will do you no good at all but constant failure and possibly eternally separated from Him !

And I can guarantee those who believe God in all things will not compromise what is written just to appease you in any way, shape or form ! So you have a very long wait, girlfriend !!

Old 06-09-2016, 10:48 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,390,595 times
Quote:
I'm not shaking the dust off my feet, Cyber. I have hope that you all will listen some day. I'll keep trying to highlight the contradictory nature of believing in a god who is loving and who IS love and isn't holding the sins of the world against them, but is angry and hates sinners and is damning them to an eternity of unrelieved torment.

Some of these fundies do not realize we've heard it all before and that we are ex fundies ourselves, so why would we return to that which have escaped ?.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Some of these fundies do not realize we've heard it all before and that we are ex fundies ourselves, so why would we return to that which have escaped ?.
We wouldn't, of course. The fundamentalist would say it would be like a dog returning to its vomit, but I've always found that saying rather offensive so I'm hesitant to use it. Perhaps it's better to say it would be like an abused woman returning to her abuser once she has escaped. The fundamentalist religion is an abusive one, and I want to see others escape. Barring any mental illness, I would never subject myself to it again.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
We wouldn't, of course. The fundamentalist would say it would be like a dog returning to its vomit, but I've always found that saying rather offensive so I'm hesitant to use it. Perhaps it's better to say it would be like an abused woman returning to her abuser once she has escaped. The fundamentalist religion is an abusive one, and I want to see others escape. Barring any mental illness, I would never subject myself to it again.
2 Thessalonians 2:3-12
3 Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,
4 who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God.
5 Do you not remember that while I was still with you, I was telling you these things?
6 And you know what restrains him now, so that in his time he will be revealed.
7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way.

8 Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming;
9 that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders,
10 and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved.
11 For this reason God will send upon them deluding influence so that they will believe what is false,
12 in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:14 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,275,017 times
Quote:
I'm very glad you, pcamps, L8, mordant and others who have also escaped the spiritual prison of fundamentalism are telling their stories. I'm sure you're making a difference to lurkers (and some posters) and have prevented more than a few from taking that dark path to a spiritual dead end.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm very glad you, pcamps, L8, mordant and others who have also escaped the spiritual prison of fundamentalism are telling their stories. I'm sure you're making a difference to lurkers (and some posters) and have prevented more than a few from taking that dark path to a spiritual dead end.

Thank you,Trout. You often encourage me, in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity