Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 06:40 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The Bible is the living Word of God. It will appear foolish to the unsaved and spiritually dead. This amazing book even predicts that people like atheists will mock us! You have to be born again and then God's word will open up and amaze you.
No it is NOT! Jesus is the Living word of God. Books are NOT alive. That is why under the New Covenant we are told that Christ abides with us as the Comforter sent in His name to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts."
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
If, as you claim, the bible is the living word of your god, why has NOTHING been added to an ANCIENT book full of dead words?
A living document is vibrant, relevant and GROWING to accommodate a LIVING PEOPLE.
The religious leaders insisted on retaining the ancient ignorance as a SIGN OF FAITH IN GOD so they remain stagnant in the carnal milk of the 1st century and don't even try to discern the solid food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 07:33 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,731,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
welcome to the twilight zone, where 2000 year old words are applied to events that have happened since the 1st century but each time with new meanings and intent...
2000 year old words are remarkably relevant today. David Ramsey built an empire teaching people how to debt free straight from the wisdom of Proverbs. Just think of how many people fail at this one:

"It's stupid to guarantee someone else's loan."

Proverbs 17:18

Old 08-29-2016, 07:50 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,443 times
Quote:
2000 year old words are remarkably relevant today. David Ramsey built an empire teaching people how to debt free straight from the wisdom of Proverbs. Just think of how many people fail at this one:

"It's stupid to guarantee someone else's loan."

Proverbs 17:18
Sometimes this statement is short-sighted. I guaranteed a loan for my son who had just graduated college because his credit had not been established. He hasn't once been late on a payment. I, as an atheist, have gotten myself out of debt, demonstrating that this can be done without the "wisdom" of the Bible, particularly without giving 10% to the church as Ramsey suggests.
Though, in general, this is a wise statement, it doesn't lend any credibility to the many more antiquated tenets in the Bible, like genocide, female subjugation, racism, and homophobia.

Last edited by Amaznjohn; 08-29-2016 at 08:18 PM..

Old 08-29-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
The Bible is the living Word of God. It will appear foolish to the unsaved and spiritually dead. This amazing book even predicts that people like atheists will mock us! You have to be born again and then God's word will open up and amaze you.
So, how is one supposed to be able to ascertain the reason or the need to be "born again" when it appears foolish? Why would a loving God make it appear so foolish to the ones he's trying to convince? See, it just doesn't make sense.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Sometimes this statement is short-sighted. I guaranteed a loan for my son who had just graduated college because his credit had not been established. He hasn't once been late on a payment. I, as an atheist, have gotten myself out of debt, demonstrating that this can be done without the "wisdom" of the Bible, particularly without giving 10% to the church as Ramsey suggests.
Though, in general, this is a wise statement, it doesn't lend any credibility to the many more antiquated tenents in the Bible, like genocide, female subjugation, racism, and homophobia.
Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. Obviously, debt is a huge problem for our society. The Bible only promotes righteous positive tenants that lead away from a path of sin and destruction.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
So, how is one supposed to be able to ascertain the reason or the need to be "born again" when it appears foolish? Why would a loving God make it appear so foolish to the ones he's trying to convince? See, it just doesn't make sense.
God can not transform a person until they are willing to open their heart to them. Many atheists have hardened their hearts and go the other direction. Drop the mockery and bitterness and start to consider that we may actually be telling the truth here. Brian Head Welch was about as far away from Christianity as you could get. But one night, he opened his heart, and a decade later, he is still on fire for Christ. He never opened a Bible before becoming a Christian.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
God can not transform a person until they are willing to open their heart to them. Many atheists have hardened their hearts and go the other direction. Drop the mockery and bitterness and start to consider that we may actually be telling the truth here. Brian Head Welch was about as far away from Christianity as you could get. But one night, he opened his heart, and a decade later, he is still on fire for Christ. He never opened a Bible before becoming a Christian.
I thought you do not consider anecdotal evidence as evidence, yet you seem to be not only using anecdotal evidence but hear-say anecdotal evidence as your evidence. As you already know, but continue to not acknowledge in your posts, most atheists, in the U.S. particularly, were once Christians. We were very involved in the church, not only willing to open our hearts but earnestly asking God to provide answers to us. None were forthcoming. So, in effect, if your God exists, he is responsible for me being an atheist.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. Obviously, debt is a huge problem for our society. The Bible only promotes righteous positive tenants that lead away from a path of sin and destruction.
So you contend that genocide, female subjugation, racism, and homophobia are righteous positive tenets?

Old 08-29-2016, 08:35 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,048 times
Quote:
All I see here is cultural ignorance and reading things into the passage. I don't see the word "rape" here. If you were a woman or young girl lived in this ancient world, your options were limited. But I guess you think they had women's lib and equal pay back then right?

If you are going to judge, at least judge without the context of their customs. If you find the customs abhorrent, let me ask you this. We have cultures where marriages are still arranged. A woman has no say in the matter. So where is your loud voice of protest about that?
Horrible attempt at apologetics. Clearly, taking of virgins is for the purpose of sex, which I'm sure was against their will considering everyone they knew was murdered by these thugs.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
So you contend that genocide, female subjugation, racism, and homophobia are righteous positive tenets?
Of course not because the Bible never promotes such things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity