Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2016, 12:35 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The OT (after Gen. 12) is about the descendants of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. It is not referring to anyone outside of that group. These are Jewish laws.

I am not being dishonest. The Lord is spelling out for the Jews the rules for the slavery that was already in existence.

It is not saying slavery is good or bad - but if you have them, then these are the rules.

As far as the NT goes - if your culture allows slavery, you don't treat them harshly and you operate according to the rules set forth.

The Bible is neutral with regards to slavery. If you have a problem with that - I don't blame you. But it is what it is.
So, it would be uncouth for your God to say, "Thou shalt not own another person as property"?

When individuals "have a problem" with slavery when the Bible clearly doesn't shows that the individual is more moral than the God of the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 12:37 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
lol, boy, ya, bet God was surprised, huh.
I doubt God gets surprised, but those old Jewish leaders seemed to be.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
So, it would be uncouth for your God to say, "Thou shalt not own another person as property"?

When individuals "have a problem" with slavery when the Bible clearly doesn't shows that the individual is more moral than the God of the Bible.
It would have been inconvenient for "God" to say that.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:47 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
are you sure? would you bet your life on it? you dismiss the collected wisdom of mankind as fiction? where is your proof, then?
Proof of what?

Old 10-18-2016, 12:56 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post

I'm sorry God just doesn't do as you or I want and strike slavery from existence.

Your second sentence - I don't know what you are trying to say.

You have an assumption that all slavery is bad slavery - and that is not the case. If you read the earlier parts of the Leviticus chapter you quoted, people offered themselves to be slaves. Sometimes the relationship is good.

The Emancipation Proclamation... there were slaves who opted to stay with their masters rather than be free.

When people had nothing - they could choose to work for a family, and that person could get their needs met.

So I think part of the problem is the assumption is that all slavery is bad slavery. Even though I would not suggest it to anyone - there are cases where it can be beneficial in the right environment. And I think God knew that - especially back in that day when resources were much more scarce - which is probably why God did not echo your statement above.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:17 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Dude... all slavery IS bad slavery

Old 10-18-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I'm sorry God just doesn't do as you or I want and strike slavery from existence.

Your second sentence - I don't know what you are trying to say.

You have an assumption that all slavery is bad slavery - and that is not the case. If you read the earlier parts of the Leviticus chapter you quoted, people offered themselves to be slaves. Sometimes the relationship is good.

The Emancipation Proclamation... there were slaves who opted to stay with their masters rather than be free.

When people had nothing - they could choose to work for a family, and that person could get their needs met.

So I think part of the problem is the assumption is that all slavery is bad slavery. Even though I would not suggest it to anyone - there are cases where it can be beneficial in the right environment. And I think God knew that - especially back in that day when resources were much more scarce - which is probably why God did not echo your statement above.
Slavery is never good. One person owning another can never be good. Persons offering themselves as slaves did it for survival.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:28 PM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,969 times
[quote=maat55;45858983]You keep deflecting from the slaves bought by Jews to the Jews selling themselves as slaves.[quote]

There were different rule for both. A Jew selling himself was not a slave, he was a bond servant. His term was 6 hears. The slave was a slave for lie, unless the owner set them free.

Quote:
Btw, a servant still is free, a slave is not.
I am glad you recognize that

Quote:
But, it is refreshing to see a Christian who admits the truth about slavery,
I haven't admitted anything about slavery.

Quote:
even though you find it righteous sanctioned by a fairytale Jewish God.
It is amusing when folks like you make an ignorant remark they can't prove. Do you not realize how foolish that makes you look? evidently not.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Clearly, it is not. The only thing we have here is a SINGLE verse that is directing a form of punishment AFTER a crime has taken place. God is only saying here that if a member of the tribe murders his slave, he gets the equal punishment. It is not making a statement that the act of slavery is perfectly fine.

Furthermore, you have this verse which strickly forbids beating a slave:

"When a man strikes the eye of his slave, male or female, and destroys it, he shall let the slave go free because of his eye. If he knocks out the tooth of his slave, male or female, he shall let the slave go free because of his tooth."

-Exodus 21:26-27

You have to look at these verses in their culture context, not ours. They didn't have jail cells back then to punish a master. Your status in life had everything to do with which family you were born into so being a slave was certainly a lot better than starving to death in a desert.
Nothing in the Bible is perfectly clear to secular fundies.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Funny, God tells us not to steal, murder, commit adultery, covet etc... But he tells us how to own slaves.
God doesn't tell us how to own slaves, He tell show to treat them if we do.

Quote:
I don't hate your non-existent God, I disdain an absurd book that many, as yourself, believes is real.
Things allways SEEM absurd to those who can't understand what is being taught.

Quote:
If God kills, rapes and enslaves, it's ok, because it is God. Strange.
What is really strange somene accusing God of things He does not do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity