Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2019, 07:52 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Hmm....usual suspects making stuff up again about other people's beliefs. What a shame.
What was made up, Finn? Do enlighten us.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:53 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Yes, very stupid to live your life as you see fit, not harming anyone, because you HOPE that your chosen belief system, and its idea of afterlife, is correct.

No, what is stupid, is to live in fear your entire life of offending god and being sent to eternal hell, or being annihilated. What is stupid, is to live your life thinking your god is so small and petty, that he condemns all who aren't of a certain religious affiliation. What's stupid, is advocating for discrimination against gay people, because the god you believe in is so small, and so petty, that you believe he would want you to, and would in fact hold it against you if you didn't.

I could go on, but the point has been made. Those of us who prefer to live in reality, and live the life we have (the only one we KNOW is real) how we see fit, while harming no one else, are the ones who aren't showing stupidity.
It's about discipline, 90s. There is no physical body in the spiritual realm. If we can't control our desires here, we won't be able to control them beyond here. Say a person is attached to drugs in the physical realm. This is an addiction and shows you're having trouble controlling your desires to the point that you're indulging something that is harmful to you physically and spiritually. You aren't ready to move past the physical realm because you have not learned to discipline yourself and detach. We're supposed to learn to detach from all our earthly needs because ultimately they're not important to your spiritual growth and you won't have them if you move on to higher realms.

I also think you should try to stop looking at God as a punisher. You have a young child, right? It's your job to raise him and guide him so he becomes a responsible adult and an asset to society. The idea is you are raising someone who will positively and not negatively impact others, because their energy will affect the whole. It doesn't make you a bad or unloving parent if you discipline or correct him when he errs. You are doing your job as a parent. Same idea with God.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:55 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
He doesn't? Then why do you guys claim he made worshiping him a prerequisite for salvation? Why do you guys claim that we have to do things exactly as he wants, or he sends us to burn?
Because trusting in Jesus is required. But he doesn't NEED us to do anything, including worship him. He can go right on existing without us. The 3 persons of the Trinity, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit have complete and perfect fellowship in and of themselves. God doesn't need any outside being to validate Him.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:56 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Hey, Imiss, I want to say thank you. People like yourself have and do pave the way for the upcoming generation. Because of your willingness to speak up and live authentically even in the face of prejudice you are creating a world where my daughter’s peers are more likely to be accepting of her. And, more importantly, where she is more likely to be accepting of herself. She is such a beautiful soul and if I hadn’t been brought to my senses by God through people like yourself, I can only imagine the kind of hurt I would have certainly caused her, and the damage to our relationship that I would have done.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Yea, I guess you have a point, Pleroo. The God that they worship is not fair, just, or loving, he is vengeful and wrathful, and only loves those of the chosen religion, who sufficiently sing his praises. Their idea of God is rather human in nature, wouldn't you say?
Actually, he is all-loving. He loves us so much he died for us, and he gives us faith in order to trust and believe in him. When our hearts are cold as stone, he regenerates them and he makes it possible for us to worship him.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Hey, Imiss, I want to say thank you. People like yourself have and do pave the way for the upcoming generation. Because of your willingness to speak up and live authentically even in the face of prejudice you are creating a world where my daughter’s peers are more likely to be accepting of her. And, more importantly, where she is more likely to be accepting of herself. She is such a beautiful soul and if I hadn’t been brought to my senses by God through people like yourself, I can only imagine the kind of hurt I would have certainly caused her, and the damage to our relationship that I would have done.
I just wish he/she would get the details right and be willing to be corrected when wrong. You want your daughter to go far in life? Teach her to be honest, and teachable.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
It's about discipline, 90s. There is no physical body in the spiritual realm. If we can't control our desires here, we won't be able to control them beyond here. Say a person is attached to drugs in the physical realm. This is an addiction and shows you're having trouble controlling your desires to the point that you're indulging something that is harmful to you physically and spiritually. You aren't ready to move past the physical realm because you have not learned to discipline yourself and detach. We're supposed to learn to detach from all our earthly needs because ultimately they're not important to your spiritual growth and you won't have them if you move on to higher realms.
Which would be fine, except for the fact that most people only believe this of certain other people. For instance, you don't see people like Finn or BF "detaching from earthly needs", do you? And to tell people that they can't be themselves, and instead must be something completely different, certainly does not help spiritual growth. Do you think otherwise? Take a person who is gay, as an example. What would help more with spiritual growth: 1. Let them be who they are while they search for their own spiritual path, or 2. Tell them they have to turn straight, hate themselves, and love God, lest they be sent to eternal hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I also think you should try to stop looking at God as a punisher. You have a young child, right? It's your job to raise him and guide him so he becomes a responsible adult and an asset to society. The idea is you are raising someone who will positively and not negatively impact others, because their energy will affect the whole. It doesn't make you a bad or unloving parent if you discipline or correct him when he errs. You are doing your job as a parent. Same idea with God.
Why would I stop doing that, when they keep claiming he is? See, you equate it to being a parent, but would you think that a parent grounding a child for 10 years, after they broke something at age 8, is reasonable? Would you think keeping them locked in a basement with no heating or air conditioning for years on end is reasonable? Because that is what people are claiming is reasonable for God.

See, that's the problem most have. It isn't that there IS punishment, it is that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. As a mother, my child is disciplined at times, when it is warranted, but it is never out of bounds for what he did. I would also never throw my child away because they didn't show enough love towards me, as certain people on here are claiming God does.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Because trusting in Jesus is required. But he doesn't NEED us to do anything, including worship him. He can go right on existing without us. The 3 persons of the Trinity, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit have complete and perfect fellowship in and of themselves. God doesn't need any outside being to validate Him.
It's "required" but he doesn't "need" it... Okay, BF, that makes a lot of sense....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually, he is all-loving. He loves us so much he died for us, and he gives us faith in order to trust and believe in him. When our hearts are cold as stone, he regenerates them and he makes it possible for us to worship him.
I don't think you understand the term "loving", BF. Your "loving" God sends billions to hell for not believing in him, or not believing correctly. If this is love to you, then you have some serious issues, my friend.

As for "dying for us", that makes little to no sense as well... God sent his son to die for our sins, to "save us" from himself. Could he not have done the same thing without the theatrics?

Old 10-22-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Which would be fine, except for the fact that most people only believe this of certain other people. For instance, you don't see people like Finn or BF "detaching from earthly needs", do you? And to tell people that they can't be themselves, and instead must be something completely different, certainly does not help spiritual growth. Do you think otherwise? Take a person who is gay, as an example. What would help more with spiritual growth: 1. Let them be who they are while they search for their own spiritual path, or 2. Tell them they have to turn straight, hate themselves, and love God, lest they be sent to eternal hell?
I've said many times on this forum that Christ calls us to deny ourselves and follow him. Doesn't matter if you identify as gay, straight, or some new letter of the alphabet previously unused in the acronym. Maybe your sin is alcohol, maybe it's stealing, or any of a 1000 different sins. God calls us to put it behind us and follow him. Our desires are secondary to a relationship with our Creator.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:13 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Even though you don't really care for the views of people here, it seems you're open to learning. I think you should try to find believers who aren't tied to a religion. I don't think the path to God is through religion. All of them are corrupt at this point. I think these people are turning you off, which is understandable. But you're throwing the baby away with the bathwater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity