Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2019, 07:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,307,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
How do you know that?
Because she's intelligent, educated and empathetic.

How is it that you DON'T know that?

(Nevermind. I know. You're a fundie.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 08:25 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,474,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Because she's intelligent, educated and empathetic.

How is it that you DON'T know that?

(Nevermind. I know. You're a fundie.)
I am finding that the women have a better understanding than most men.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:29 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,110,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The fact that you play the childish game of I asked first, is proof enough. You have also failed to keep your side of the bargain on more than one occasion in the past too..
You call it "childish" if you want. I'd prefer not to let you and others distract from the topic.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I could give him an answer, however it is for him to show or prove that what he is saying and claiming came from God, and not Paul himself. But we all know that he will merely reference the Bible to support his view.
Instead, you'll just distract and try to drag it into another conversation. This stuff just gets old. You and 10 other people swarm with different questions, then accuse me of dodging. Then I get told I'm the one that's hijacking the thread.

This crap just gets old. If you don't wish to have a real dialogue, then we're done.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You can't always whine that your beliefs aren't respected when you don't respect that of others. Well, lol, you CAN and you WILL because that's your overriding M.O., but you're going to get called on it.
Double standard. This entire thread has been about disrespecting conservative Christians. Now you whine that I'm not respecting others?
Quote:

You KNOW that thinking believers don't fall for the story that the Bible=God's "Word" and somehow weren't influenced by the perceptions of the men who wrote them down. You could just as easily say, 'Gee, I choose to believe that those are REALLY REALLY God's ACTUAL words, so FOR ME, I could not allow a woman to be a preacher or be thought of as equal in any way to a man."
More of that "respect" you claim to give?

Old 12-07-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
1. Sorry, but it sure sounds like it when you suggest in any way that women should not do something a man does. It's hard to see how you can be saying anything otherwise.
Try paying attention to what we're actually saying. Don't assign motive where it doesn't exist. Don't try to psychoanalyze us and tell us what we believe and we might be able to understand.
Quote:
2. God isn't what I wanted. If God was what I wanted, life would have been a lot easier than it has been, wouldn't it. But maybe you need to ask yourself this same question.
Isn't he?
Quote:
Remember, I was raised with those same beliefs you hold so dear. Life--and God--taught me differently. We can only learn and grow when we allow ourselves to ask "is this true"? about beliefs and perceptions. Once you allow yourself to ask that, once you open your mind to the possibility that something may not be as you think it is, you grow, and you learn, and your mind expands to places beyond that which you have ever allowed yourself to go.
So now you feel obligated to attack the beliefs of others because your faith failed? Is that it?

Old 12-07-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I disagree with that, especially in this case. All the scriptures in the Bible were written in a patriarchal culture that valued women as nothing more than property. What is needed here is not verification, but an understanding that we have conquered that type of backward thinking.

The belief that men are superior is in and of itself sin. That way of thinking caused horror and evil through the centuries. It is not of God.
Do you never grow tired of trying to throw that "patriarchal......men bad!" mantra? Seems like it would just grow tiring.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:39 AM

88,918 posts, read 85,450,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Double standard. This entire thread has been about disrespecting conservative Christians. Now you whine that I'm not respecting others?

More of that "respect" you claim to give?
You don't seem to understand what you read.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
You don't seem to understand what you read.
Says the woman that has been lecturing me about why God's Word shouldn't be believed, and when I suggest we follow it, it means I hate women or see them as inferior.

Right.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:54 AM

88,918 posts, read 85,450,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Do you never grow tired of trying to throw that "patriarchal......men bad!" mantra? Seems like it would just grow tiring.
No, of course I'm not going to get tired of pointing out that the scriptures that control the thinking of so many are words written in a time and place when women were property and therefore reflect that type of sinful thinking. Even though we as a species have made great progress in how we view and treat women, there is still a terribly long way to go. The words you hold so dear are part of the problem, and therefore people like you are part of the problem because you perpetuate the falsehood that women are lesser beings. (Spare me the "their role is just DIFFERENT" song and dance. It fools no one and echoes the "separate but equal" crap of a hundred years ago referring to black people.) There is nothing to be proud of in being stuck in a time of ignorance and cruelty.

Of course I don't think men are bad. Cheap shot, but I expect that from you, and it's frankly just a plain stupid thing to say. I was sick recently, and an intelligent man brought me this to read while I recuperated.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2019/11/

Do you dare to take a look? It was eye-opening. Very heartening to see the progress that has been made around the world for women, and informational about how far we still have to go to lose the soul-killing misogynist teachings that certain religions still continue to promote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity