Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 06:41 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Yeah, I’ll stick with a nice “Oak” Chardonnay, in moderation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 07:15 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Paul never said that about sin! You couldn't even get right what James said about sin.
He said, he who knows to do good and does it not, to him it is sin.
You have things separated into neat little compartments in your mind so you have difficulty seeing the more general principles involved. Paul made the actual reference to what was "unclean," but the same principle holds. James does not contradict that principle, Charlie. If you think something is a sin (i.e., know what is not good by knowing what IS good), then to you it is a sin to choose the "not good."

Old 07-07-2021, 07:21 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKurreto View Post
A hot topic that is mostly debated by the uneducated people on ancient wine making methods is the question: what kind of wine did Jesus make? The Bible gives the response of a man who claims it was "good" wine, what did the ancients consider as being good? A simple study of historical writings would clarify what was the "good" wine. Does anybody have insight into the ancient wine making methods? There are apparently multiple writings throughout history, both B.C. and A.D. on the universal agreement on "good", speaking in a general sense.
Was the Greek word employed gleukos or oinos?...Gleukos mean the unfermented juice of the grape while oinos means the fermented variety...See what the Greek word employed in John 2:1-10 was and you find out what type of wine Jesus had made...

Old 07-07-2021, 07:42 PM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
In those days there wasn't a way to keep grape juice from fermenting (that we know of) and so if you wanted grape juice you had to drink it right after you harvested it.

In 1869 Welch's grape juice came out as they were able to pasteurize the grape juice to keep it from fermenting.

I told Danny about that in another thread, but I don't think he believed me.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:45 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,846,500 times
Regardless of what kind of wine it was, my only caution is exhibited in the following Proverbs.

Pro 20:1, Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Pro 23:29, Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?
Pro 23:30, They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.
Pro 23:31, Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
Pro 23:32, At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.
Pro 23:33, Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.
Pro 23:34, Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.
Pro 23:35, They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Regardless of what kind of wine it was, my only caution is exhibited in the following Proverbs.

Pro 20:1, Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Pro 23:29, Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?
Pro 23:30, They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.
Pro 23:31, Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
Pro 23:32, At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.
Pro 23:33, Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.
Pro 23:34, Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.
Pro 23:35, They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.
Do what?...These are speaking to overindulgence...Oh, and this:

Mishlei - Proverbs - Chapter 20

1 The [imbiber of] wine is a scorner; he roars, "Strong drink!" And whoever strays with it will not become wise.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post

1 The [imbiber of] wine is a scorner; he roars, "Strong drink!" And whoever strays with it will not become wise.
Of course it is speaking of overindulgence.

In order to avoid that,

Because there is a deceptive quallity to alcohol, according to Proverbs 20:1.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post

I''l go with the kjv's rendering, thank you very much.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:05 AM

Quote:
I''l go with the kjv's rendering, thank you very much.
Well then, you’ll always be misled and wrong...

Old 07-08-2021, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Of course it is speaking of overindulgence.

In order to avoid that,

Because there is a deceptive quallity to alcohol, according to Proverbs 20:1.
So, what do you think the bolded means?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity