Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 04:10 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Of course it is speaking of overindulgence.

In order to avoid that,

Pro 23:31, Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.

Because there is a deceptive quallity to alcohol, according to Proverbs 20:1.

Mishlei - Proverbs - Chapter 23

31 Do not look at wine when it is red; when he puts his eye on the cup, it goes smoothly.

Rashi:

Do not look at wine when it is red: Do not put your eye on it.

when he puts his eye on the cup, it goes smoothly: Whoever is habitually drunk-all transgressions appear to him to be straight; all ways appear straight.

on the cup: Heb. בכוס. The masoretic text reads: בכיס, on the pocket; i.e., the drinker puts his eye on the cup, and the storekeeper puts his eye on this one’s pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 04:32 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,323,729 times
Proverbs 20:1

"Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise."

There is no one glass, it becomes two then three. Do not be deceived, leave it alone!

Those who say, I only have a glass a day, yeah, right!

Old 07-08-2021, 05:42 AM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Proverbs 20:1

"Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise."

There is no one glass, it becomes two then three. Do not be deceived, leave it alone!

Those who say, I only have a glass a day, yeah, right!
Actually, yes. Many people have a single glass of wine with dinner. Many others enjoy a single drink when they relax after work. I belong to two different groups related to beer. Nobody in either group is drinking to become intoxicated. They are drinking something they enjoy. Responsibly.

Drinking excessively is an entirely different conversation.

Old 07-08-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Actually, yes. Many people have a single glass of wine with dinner. Many others enjoy a single drink when they relax after work. I belong to two different groups related to beer. Nobody in either group is drinking to become intoxicated. They are drinking something they enjoy. Responsibly.

Drinking excessively is an entirely different conversation.
Everyone who consumes alcohol will over consume from time to time.

That is the mock of wine and the rage of strong drink, it changes you.

It is a deceiver, you will do things you normally will not do, and not good things.

Old 07-08-2021, 05:58 AM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Everyone who consumes alcohol will over consume from time to time.

That is the mock of wine and the rage of strong drink, it changes you.

It is a deceiver, you will do things you normally will not do, and not good things.
Nonsense.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Nonsense.
LOL, ok!

Old 07-08-2021, 06:50 AM

732 posts, read 211,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
In those days there wasn't a way to keep grape juice from fermenting (that we know of) and so if you wanted grape juice you had to drink it right after you harvested it.

In 1869 Welch's grape juice came out as they were able to pasteurize the grape juice to keep it from fermenting.
Ancients had multiple ways of keeping unfermented wine for years, thats what makes you think different, you do not have any knowledge of history.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:57 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
I see no one came up with the obvious answer to the thread title question:

Manishewitz, of course!

Old 07-08-2021, 07:00 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,366,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have things separated into neat little compartments in your mind so you have difficulty seeing the more general principles involved. Paul made the actual reference to what was "unclean," but the same principle holds. James does not contradict that principle, Charlie. If you think something is a sin (i.e., know what is not good by knowing what IS good), then to you it is a sin to choose the "not good."
I gotta give it you MysticPhD, you have so much more patience than I do. Almost like a debate between some college professor and some smart aleck kid who thinks he knows everything. I was going to suggest to you to start using sock puppets as a teaching aid but in this case, it's more of a problem with the heart than the head.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:05 AM

732 posts, read 211,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Was the Greek word employed gleukos or oinos?...Gleukos mean the unfermented juice of the grape while oinos means the fermented variety...See what the Greek word employed in John 2:1-10 was and you find out what type of wine Jesus had made...
Wine was always an ambiguous word. Many words possess ambiguity, so don't rely only on one things, look at historical evidence on wine making before drawing a conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity