Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 12:30 PM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
The born again Christian must make a decision about alcohol. The scripture is not clear if Jesus drank alcohol or not, but we can look to Noah and see it's not wise.

The first thing he did after the flood was to grow a vineyard and make wine from it, then got drunk. We can read and see the result of this and see it wasn't fun for Noah.

This is the man God found worthy to live by his faith when all others besides his family were destroyed. We can all make the same mistake and I say give sin no chance in this life!

No one is going to hell for drinking a glass of wine from time to time, or a beer, or a shot of whisky. But being a Christian and following Christ, is that a good testimony to a new convert who has much to learn yet? That is what the scripture calls a stumbling block set before your brother.

Paul said there are many things at his liberty but some he denies to keep from being that stumbling block. We've got to think of what we are doing! We have to take responsibility for our actions.

The choice I have made does not mean I'm right and you are wrong! But my choice eliminates the possibility of being a stumbling block before others and the sin I may commit when I over indulge.
Ole Noah was a patient man. Since all the grape vines were killed in the flood, he would have to start from scratch. With seeds. It would take a few years before he could get any grapes. At the end of the growing season, he could start some wine, but it would be a few months before it would be ready to drink.

Yep! Years of waiting for the first thing he did after the flood.

Old 07-09-2021, 12:43 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Ole Noah was a patient man. Since all the grape vines were killed in the flood, he would have to start from scratch. With seeds. It would take a few years before he could get any grapes. At the end of the growing season, he could start some wine, but it would be a few months before it would be ready to drink.

Patience is a virtue and companion to wisdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 12:49 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,324,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

Actually the very first thing he did was build an alter and sacrificed to God. The next account of Noah was becoming a husbandman. Of course this took time, but if you read the account in scripture it was the first things he did in relation to what is first written of him in scripture.

Old 07-09-2021, 12:50 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times
I enjoyed a communion service one time in a Lutheran church. They didn't mess around with fruit punch. They served the real thing - yessiree, real wine - with real bread. And no one fussed or grumbled about it. It really did take on a sense of "communion" in the same spirit as with the Last Supper. It was respectful and reverent.

Many will never experience that, but I'm thankful I did. Not a huge event by any means, but I'm still richer for it. Sometimes little events count more than what we would consider larger matters.

P.S. If some noisy soapbox child showed up at that church screaming about drinking alcohol, they would have gracefully carted the person off the property.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-09-2021 at 01:13 PM..

Old 07-09-2021, 05:44 PM

732 posts, read 211,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
I think too many try to wrack their minds to dive into a Conspiracy of sorts was it fermented wine or also a unfermented process that preserved Grape Juice.

Seems to me that the alcohol was a necessary aspect to even aid with bacteria in drinking water. I always just felt the reasonable simple explanation was that they used a WATERED Down Alcohol Wine for a Table wine. Aiding in keeping the water less likely to have parasites intact after some alcohol.

Seems more is written in how the ancient Greeks and Romans diluted wine for drinking.

Alcohol does have a strong anti-bacterial effect,and adding water to wine was a way to create more drink as there was very little clean drinking water. Microbes in water if a issue.... might have enough alcohol from adding wine to keep that in check?

Seems for the Romans and Greeks everyone, including young children, drank wine all the time from the beginning of the day until night, dilution was important in order to prevent the people from getting to drunk by the end of the day. In effect, the reliance on wine for hydration meant dilution could kill two birds with one stone.

Perhaps this is not correct of the Greeks and Romans or the land of Palestine at the time even Romans occupied it?

http://eciconference.com/resources/2...xperiment1.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity