Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 07:24 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times

Advertisements

There are hundreds of errors in the King James Translation. Some are trivial and some are more important. Some are because other manuscripts have been discovered in the past 400 years. Some are because the old languages are better understood.

Do an Internet search for "errors in the King James translation." There are many web sites. Some of them are written by well respected scholars, teachers, and researchers. It's not just one person's opinion.

I think people like the KJV because the language is in an old style and it reads beautifully. That doesn't make it the best translation of the Hebrew or Greek documents. It was created from Latin translations, so it was already at least one translation away from the originals.

That might make an interesting thread (although I doubt that many will discuss it reasonably), but it really is off topic for this thread about what kind of wine Jesus made.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:28 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
I can promise you, Richard, you have done no research on scripture that Charlie hasn't already done!

What I want from you is some of that research that proves the scripture wrong.
From what I’ve seen of your posts on here, I am quite sure that you haven’t...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 07:35 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,322,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
From what I’ve seen of your posts on here, I am quite sure that you haven’t...
What about that Jesus? Is He the Christ, Richard, is He the promised One?

If you think not, show me why He is not!

Old 07-09-2021, 10:19 AM

732 posts, read 211,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There are hundreds of errors in the King James Translation. Some are trivial and some are more important. Some are because other manuscripts have been discovered in the past 400 years. Some are because the old languages are better understood.

Do an Internet search for "errors in the King James translation." There are many web sites. Some of them are written by well respected scholars, teachers, and researchers. It's not just one person's opinion.

I think people like the KJV because the language is in an old style and it reads beautifully. That doesn't make it the best translation of the Hebrew or Greek documents. It was created from Latin translations, so it was already at least one translation away from the originals.

That might make an interesting thread (although I doubt that many will discuss it reasonably), but it really is off topic for this thread about what kind of wine Jesus made.
I agree with you there, kjv isn't perfect, none are, asv is better, I use nasv and nkjv and textus receptus.

About the ancient wines, have you tried any research at all? I'm sure you could find something to present to us all. If you can research the kjv translation errors then you have all the great ability to find the historic truth about preservation of unfermented wine by ancient civilizations. I dont want to be the only one here presenting facts.

If one can show that it was common practice of ancients to preserve unfermented wine for long periods of time, then it is plausible that the common wine was the sweet, unfermented wine.
That is a valid argument, it deserves attention by any serious Bible student. Would you choose the rational, honest and sincere approach at historical evidence about this subject in order to gain complete truth?

Old 07-09-2021, 10:27 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKurreto View Post
I agree with you there, kjv isn't perfect, none are, asv is better, I use nasv and nkjv and textus receptus.

About the ancient wines, have you tried any research at all? I'm sure you could find something to present to us all. If you can research the kjv translation errors then you have all the great ability to find the historic truth about preservation of unfermented wine by ancient civilizations. I dont want to be the only one here presenting facts.

If one can show that it was common practice of ancients to preserve unfermented wine for long periods of time, then it is plausible that the common wine was the sweet, unfermented wine.
That is a valid argument, it deserves attention by any serious Bible student. Would you choose the rational, honest and sincere approach at historical evidence about this subject in order to gain complete truth?
The process to produce unfermented grape juice was invented in 1869. I'm firmly convinced that no regular, routine use of unfermented grape juice was common before that time. Knowing a little about the history, as related to beer making, I am certain enough than any reference to wine 2000 years ago was to fermented wine. Any examples to the contrary are going to be rare, outlying examples.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:50 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
It's much healthier and easier to just accept that Jesus and the disciples drank standard alcoholic wine, then to squirm and wrestle with the matter in a jittery, emotional, churchy style.

It's all about moderation. A few nuts can be a good source of protein, but a couple of bucket fulls will usually be too much fat for the body in one dose. Some sunshine on the skin can boost Vitamin D and help the body, but too much can lead to sunburn, or worse, skin cancer. This is no different. Many researchers around the world have even pointed to health benefits to wine in small amounts. Jesus never said "don't drink wine"; he said "don't get drunk on wine".

Jesus and his disciples understood what was going on. Too bad so many now are lost and clueless in the churches, and listening to them instead of reading the scriptures and getting an understand of what was originally going on. They should just throw away the Bible if it's going to take a distant backseat to the pew and pulpit ramblings.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-09-2021 at 11:02 AM..

Old 07-09-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's much healthier and easier to just accept that Jesus and the disciples drank standard alcoholic wine, then to squirm and wrestle with the matter in a jittery, emotional, churchy style.

It's all about moderation. A few nuts can be a good source of protein, but a couple of bucket fulls will usually be too much fat for the body in one dose. Some sunshine on the skin can boost Vitamin D and help the body, but too much can lead to sunburn, or worse, skin cancer. This is no different. Many researchers around the world have even pointed to health benefits to wine in small amounts.

Jesus and his disciples understood what was going on. Too bad so many now are lost and clueless in the church, and listening to them instead of reading the scriptures and getting an understand of what was originally going on. They should just throw away the Bible if it's going to take a back seat to the pew and pulpit ramblings.
The born again Christian must make a decision about alcohol. The scripture is not clear if Jesus drank alcohol or not, but we can look to Noah and see it's not wise.

The first thing he did after the flood was to grow a vineyard and make wine from it, then got drunk. We can read and see the result of this and see it wasn't fun for Noah.

This is the man God found worthy to live by his faith when all others besides his family were destroyed. We can all make the same mistake and I say give sin no chance in this life!

No one is going to hell for drinking a glass of wine from time to time, or a beer, or a shot of whisky. But being a Christian and following Christ, is that a good testimony to a new convert who has much to learn yet? That is what the scripture calls a stumbling block set before your brother.

Paul said there are many things at his liberty but some he denies to keep from being that stumbling block. We've got to think of what we are doing! We have to take responsibility for our actions.

The choice I have made does not mean I'm right and you are wrong! But my choice eliminates the possibility of being a stumbling block before others and the sin I may commit when I over indulge.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:32 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
^ The church has trained you well Charlie! Keep tossing out those confused stumbling blocks of misguidance.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ The church has trained you well Charlie! Bless you and your misguidance. Keep tossing out those stumbling blocks.
Thank you, and I certainly will continue to cast out anything that may cause the faith of my brothers and sisters in Christ to fail!

Old 07-09-2021, 12:06 PM

1,803 posts, read 936,911 times
I think too many try to wrack their minds to dive into a Conspiracy of sorts was it fermented wine or also a unfermented process that preserved Grape Juice.

Seems to me that the alcohol was a necessary aspect to even aid with bacteria in drinking water. I always just felt the reasonable simple explanation was that they used a WATERED Down Alcohol Wine for a Table wine. Aiding in keeping the water less likely to have parasites intact after some alcohol.

Seems more is written in how the ancient Greeks and Romans diluted wine for drinking.

Alcohol does have a strong anti-bacterial effect,and adding water to wine was a way to create more drink as there was very little clean drinking water. Microbes in water if a issue.... might have enough alcohol from adding wine to keep that in check?

Seems for the Romans and Greeks everyone, including young children, drank wine all the time from the beginning of the day until night, dilution was important in order to prevent the people from getting to drunk by the end of the day. In effect, the reliance on wine for hydration meant dilution could kill two birds with one stone.

Perhaps this is not correct of the Greeks and Romans or the land of Palestine at the time even Romans occupied it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity