Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 12:51 PM

299 posts, read 104,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Oh, try to grow an actual heart, DRob instead of this absurdly hardened one you have crafted ...

Thank you, Mystic - that is what I was trying to get to in my roundabout way. No followers of Jesus should ever feel compelled to ignore the suffering of others, however blessed or glorious a situation they find themselves in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 12:52 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
Won't it be jolly to be singing with the angels in heaven, knowing that your child is meanwhile screaming in the eternal torments of hell?

Who can honestly say they'd be fine with it?

I am not asking for scriptural references alone, but for the human, emotional and psychological aspects of the situation.
I know of no tradition in Christianity that teaches that a person who died in childhood would be eternally tormented in hell. Where did you get that from?

Old 08-11-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I know of no tradition in Christianity that teaches that a person who died in childhood would be eternally tormented in hell. Where did you get that from?

My child is 43. He is still my child.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:56 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
If I understand right, the infinite glory of God manifested to us in heaven is so great that it will make unimportant things like love for your child negligible and moot. Having had our tears wiped, we will take eternal pleasure in the rising smoke of the damned child. I'm sorry, friend - I can't go there with you.
Fret not because of God's promise to father Abraham found at Genesis 12:3; 22:18.
ALL families of Earth will be blessed.
ALL nations of Earth will be blessed.
Blessed with the benefit of a resurrection ( some to Heaven, but the majority on Earth )
What a person does ' after ' they are resurrected will determine a favorable or adverse judgement at that time.
Remember this: It is 'death' that pays the total asking price tag for sin - Romans 6:23; 6:7
In other words, 'death' stamps the price tag for sin as: Paid In Full.
No where does it say 'death plus a post-mortem punishment' , also No double jeopardy in death.
Rather, Jesus and the OT both teach ' sleep ' in death -> John 11:11-14; Psalm 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5.
Because of the coming resurrection (Acts 24:15) families will be re-united at this millennial time under Christ.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:58 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I guess that comment came from the "mind of Christ" that you say you have.
It came from the agape love you seem not to possess that God wants us to possess instead of your wrathful and vengeful rationalizations about the justness of eternal punishment. That can accomplish absolutely nothing good or decent or remotely just!!! You are deluding yourself to defend your inexcusable acceptance of such a preposterous evil.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
............... No followers of Jesus should ever feel compelled to ignore the suffering of others, however blessed or glorious a situation they find themselves in.
Your ^ above ^ post reminded me about Jesus' story illustration about the neighborly good Samaritan.
Like that Samaritan we are to widen out, broaden out in showing love to another in trouble.
Have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has according to Jesus' NEW commandment - John 13:34-35.
In other words, we are Now to love neighbor MORE than self, more than the Golden Rule of Lev. 19:18.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
It came from the agape love you seem not to possess that God wants us to possess instead of your wrathful and vengeful rationalizations about the justness of eternal punishment. That can accomplish absolutely nothing good or decent or remotely just!!! You are deluding yourself to defend your inexcusable acceptance of such a preposterous evil.

I would disagree that he doesn't have agape love. Each of us does. Sometimes it flows freely, but other times our rationalizations get in its way.

If a theology requires one to ignore agape, one needs a better theology.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:08 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
My child is 43. He is still my child.
Ohh ok. Thanks for the clarification.

In that case, what you're really saying is that you don't want anything to do with a God who would send your child to hell.

I think if that's your mentality, you need not worry because you'll probably get what you want.

Your child is not yours. Your child is God's. He or she was given to you by God so that you could lead them to everlasting life. At some point, a child grows up and becomes responsible for their own actions and choices.

The thing to always remember is that God loves your child more than you do. We are also called to love God more than we love our children.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
It came from the agape love you seem not to possess that God wants us to possess instead of your wrathful and vengeful rationalizations about the justness of eternal punishment..................
In Scripture, I find the only 'eternal punishment' is ' everlasting destruction ' - 2nd Thess. 1:9
And ' everlasting destruction ' is only for the wicked -> Psalm 92:7; Psalm 104:35; Proverbs 2:21-22; Isaiah 11:3-4.
Sinner Satan, who is wicked, will be destroyed forever by Jesus - Hebrews 2:14 B.
So, even sinner Satan's eternal punishment will be being 'destroyed forever'.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:16 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
If I understand right, the infinite glory of God manifested to us in heaven is so great that it will make unimportant things like love for your child negligible and moot. Having had our tears wiped, we will take eternal pleasure in the rising smoke of the damned child.

I'm sorry, friend - I can't go there with you.
I'm saying I have no idea what the relationship between my kid and me will be in heaven.

And if anyone does not have a savior to take their sin away, then a holy God will damn them to eternal suffering. It's not pleasant, but that's how it is. That SHOULD make you want to repent and trust Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity