Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2021, 05:27 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,366,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
That is a scathing indictment of mainstream view of hell. It mirrors my sentiment exactly. However, I would not go so far as to say that only the cold-hearted believe in it. Most hell-believers wrestle mightily with the emotional ramifications of it. I know that; and I'm being a muck-raking, trouble-making and much-needed provacateur.
Not so sure why they believe in eternal torment other than being indoctrinated in it, but have any of them stopped and considered the ramifications of forever? Suffering forever..for thousands, millions, billions, trillions (the first trillion years goes by real fast I heard, then it slows down). When I converted to Christianity, I thought about this often and it bothered me. Does it even bother some posters here? As long as their hide is saved it seems they are OK with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 06:02 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Not so sure why they believe in eternal torment other than being indoctrinated in it, but have any of them stopped and considered the ramifications of forever? Suffering forever..for thousands, millions, billions, trillions (the first trillion years goes by real fast I heard, then it slows down). When I converted to Christianity, I thought about this often and it bothered me. Does it even bother some posters here? As long as their hide is saved it seems they are OK with it.
It bothers us so much we share the gospel with everyone who will listen.

Old 08-12-2021, 06:13 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,032,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
It bothers us so much we share the gospel with everyone who will listen.
Jimmie: The good news of the angels is for all people. The gospel of the angels is not for a few people, or an exclusive group of people, it is the radical ALL!

The purpose of the Lord of Glory does not end in failure.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:40 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I tell you something else pooty tat...
Pooty tat?

Old 08-12-2021, 07:51 AM

13,627 posts, read 7,954,764 times
So much pride in this thread from the hell-deniers.

Who *the hell* do you think you are?

Hell is the default state of fallen humanity.

God has offered us salvation. He has made a way to rescue us from hell and has even opened the gates of heaven.

Heaven!!! What selfless and heroic deeds have we done to merit eternal bliss???

We should be asking what kind of a God would actually welcome wretched, obstinate, rebellious creatures like us into eternal bliss with Him???

You can take his offer, or you can spurn it.

I'll latch onto the merits of Christ as best I can, and maybe I'll be lucky enough to be considered His friend when all is said and done.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:12 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,366,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

Who *the hell* do you think you are?

Hell is the default state of fallen humanity.

God has offered us salvation. He has made a way to rescue us from hell and has even opened the gates of heaven.

Heaven!!! What selfless and heroic deeds have we done to merit eternal bliss???

We should be asking what kind of a God would actually welcome wretched, obstinate, rebellious creatures like us into eternal bliss with Him???

You can take his offer, or you can spurn it.

I'll latch onto the merits of Christ as best I can, and maybe I'll be lucky enough to be considered His friend when all is said and done.
Mike, why do you give the devil a helping hand? Look what you just posted...we are, according to you, wretched, obstinate, rebellious creatures, etc.

Well, the devil stands before the throne of God accusing the brethren day and night, probably uses the same words you used to describe mankind. Sheesh, lighten up Mike. Did you not know where sin abounds grace abounds even more? Our job is to spread the good news about Christ, it is the Holy Spirit's job to convict the world of it's sin. He doesn't need your help on this, the devil is doing just fine in that department.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:01 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Yes. You hit it on the nose there. It's pride.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:08 AM

11,109 posts, read 7,174,871 times
As I said before, this is a button-pushing thread. All you have to do is take a good look at the opening post. Sometimes there's no way of trying to "win" such a discussion, and we can be more respectable and influential not chasing such matters. People have to account for their own thoughts and actions, and when their tone is deep, it's especially pointless trying to hammer in thoughts or concepts through the rock skull. And that goes in both directions; both sides. You could pray for them though.

There were times when even Jesus - with all his power and ability - sometimes just left people and moved on, such as when cities rejected him. That's a perfectly wise approach. We don't have to chase and debate each matter thrown before us. That's something more like what a dog would do, chasing after a ball or stick.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:08 AM

13,627 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Mike, why do you give the devil a helping hand? Look what you just posted...we are, according to you, wretched, obstinate, rebellious creatures, etc.

Well, the devil stands before the throne of God accusing the brethren day and night, probably uses the same words you used to describe mankind. Sheesh, lighten up Mike. Did you not know where sin abounds grace abounds even more? Our job is to spread the good news about Christ, it is the Holy Spirit's job to convict the world of it's sin. He doesn't need your help on this, the devil is doing just fine in that department.
So you don't deserve eternal punishment.

What have you done to merit eternal reward?

Old 08-12-2021, 10:33 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,393,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
Won't it be jolly to be singing with the angels in heaven, knowing that your child is meanwhile screaming in the eternal torments of hell?

Who can honestly say they'd be fine with it?

I am not asking for scriptural references alone, but for the human, emotional and psychological aspects of the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I know that there will be no sadness in Heaven, so apparently anyone in Heaven will "be fine with it".

Do you believe God is unjust? Or that hell is unjust?
Any God that would eternally torment people is an unjust God.

Hi AH welcome to the forum, not only do many believe that it is just for God to eternally torment people they do not seem to realize that in their doctrine Jesus Himself will be eternally tormented watching all those He came to save being torment.

Who is it the suffers loss but the Shepard who loses the sheep that were given into his care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity