Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2021, 11:18 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,390,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
My understanding of hell is nothing but the Catholic understanding which remains unchanged since Apostolic times.
That is debatable.

Quote:
Why do you believe that the Catholic understanding of hell implies failure on the part of God?
Because God took aim at the salvation of the world,sent Jesus his arrow to save the world and according to the Catholic understanding of hell the salvation of the world cannot ever happen, thus are huge failures.thus both Father and Son missed the mark/sinned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Where did you learn this doctrine?
it is all through the new testament mike, mostly via Paul.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I don't deny this.

Why do you believe that the Catholic doctrine of hell implies that God's love is wasted?
because His love failed to save the world, yet scripture tells us love never fails.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:26 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,644 times
Quote:
God's patience is perfect and could never run out. His love is also unending.

I didn't say anything about "the VAST majority of mankind", though many Saints have said that.

I don't dispute that Christ is the Savior of all mankind, especially to those who believe.

Do you believe that God would drag someone kicking and screaming into His presence in fellowship against their will? Do you believe that Good can have any fellowship with evil?
We're so close then....and my answer to your question is nobody in their right mind would ever, EVER reject the opportunity to fellowship in Heaven. Who kicks and screams? Think of 2 doors presented to a rational mind...door number 1=eternal bliss and happiness. Door number 2= sadness and suffering. So your saying some people would pick door number 2? Really? Because they hate God sooo much? Laughable.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:15 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,946,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Because God took aim at the salvation of the world,sent Jesus his arrow to save the world and according to the Catholic understanding of hell the salvation of the world cannot ever happen, thus are huge failures.thus both Father and Son missed the mark/sinned.
I disagree with how you characterize God's plan and salvific work.

God did not create us as automatons. We have free will. Man's free choice to reject Him is not a failure on God's part.

The salvation of the world is a work in progress that will not be fulfilled until the consummation; but it will be accomplished.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
This is where logic stops for them. They know this but it does not reconcile with what they have indoctrinated with. Quite a catch 22.

How much are they REALLY bothered by it though? Jimmie says he preaches to the lost but how many respond but thats not his job either. But, trillions of years is a loong time. No escape, just forever, in torment. Too painful to think about so they move on, in denial really.
ya it seem logic gets placed aside in favor of doctrine.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Mike that is good but you need to take it within, the old man and the new man, the soulish man and the spiritual man, the terrestrial body and the celestial body. it is the old man nature that suffers in the presence of God mike all the while he is being destroyed the inner man/new man is in joy of his birth in the presence of God.
Quote:
Where did you learn this doctrine?
Quote:
it is all through the new testament mike, mostly via Paul.
It seems like your unique interpretation of Paul, as it's not an interpretation I've ever heard before in either Catholic or Protestant theology; at least certainly not in mainstream circles.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I disagree with how you characterize God's plan and salvific work.

God did not create us as automatons. We have free will. Man's free choice to reject Him is not a failure on God's part.
Mike we do not have a freewill choice of life or death until AFTER we have been regenerated, we were SLAVES to sin and death, but once regenerated and the regeneration is ALL of God we are given the freewill choice of life or death.

Quote:
The salvation of the world is a work in progress that will not be fulfilled until the consummation; but it will be accomplished.
I agree, however that seem like lip service to me because the salvation of the world can never happen if people are eternally torment.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
because His love failed to save the world, yet scripture tells us love never fails.
Just because people are in hell, why does that mean that Jesus failed to save the world? I don't see how that follows.

What Jesus did is provide opportunity. It's our responsibility to take advantage of the opportunity.

He's not going to violate our free will or drag us into His presence.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:24 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
That is debatable.

What if your understanding of that was wrong?

You believe God is a failure? That he can fail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity